Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Food Shopping & Groceries > 30+ tips to cut supermarket costs - guide discuss... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
30+ tips to cut supermarket costs - guide discussion
Views: 20,404
# 1
WOW Factor 0
MSE Jenny
Old 04-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Senior Writer
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default 30+ tips to cut supermarket costs - guide discussion

Hi all, we've written a new Cheap Supermarket Shopping guide with 30 top tips to cut grocery costs.

How did you find the info? Do you have any other tips you'd add?

Thanks
for your help!

MSE Jenny

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 12-06-2012 at 5:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MSE Jenny For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
camaj
Old 13-06-2012, 9:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Everyone should know this tip, especially if you spend 50+ a week. If, like most people, you buy the same items most of the time visit mysupermarket.co.uk and add those items to your basket. Each time you do a shop you can go to your old basket and then checkout. There's an option here allowing you to split your basket so that you'll the cheapest items from each chain grouped together, which results in the lowest possible spend. If that doesn't work you can click "print list" and then split the list. If you don't want to print it out you can just click cancel.

It's slightly more complicated, or easier, if you use the various price matching schemes. If sainsbury's has 10 items cheaper than anywhere else, you could also buy the cheap branded items from sainsbury's too, and get a brand match voucher. The only drawback is if you're willing to be flexible you won't see offers on similar items that aren't in your basket, i.e if you usually buy 24 weetbix and the 36 is on offer you will have to discover that yourself.

Another handy feature of mysupermarket is to sort items buy price or unit price. If you want to buy tea bags you can order the results to find the lowest cost per bag, for example. Cleverly it also works out the unit price for special offers.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to camaj For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
lynnejk
Old 14-06-2012, 12:02 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I save lots of money on fruit and veggies. Don't be too fixed what you are going to buy and go to Aldi and Lidls first and get their special lines for the week (as long as you will eat them obviously) then go to supermarket and look for their discounted or special offers. Don't forget most veggies can be prepped for the freezer and bagged in useable amounts for another day/week/month (I bought 5kgs of runner beans last year at 10p a kg on an end of day reduction) and quite a lot of fruit can be cooked and then frozen for easy puddings (crumbles, pies etc).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lynnejk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
candice-marie
Old 14-06-2012, 8:21 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I've done my weekly supermarket shop online with Tesco for the last 12 years. I find it much quicker so I save time (which can be money). Using my favourites list each week means I don't impulse buy (and neither do the kids who used to have to come with me when I went to the shop). You can see the special offers and they also give comparison on item costs eg. price per sheet, or per 100g which is a good way of seeing what is really a bargain. Delivery on Tuesday or Wednesday is cheaper than other days of the week and even cheaper in the afternoon or late evening.
The Following User Says Thank You to candice-marie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Ken68
Old 14-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Work out your nutritional needs, e.g. 55grams Protein per day per person, do the same for calories/vitamins, then look for the best value.
It's all on the side of the packet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ken68 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
miss scrooge
Old 14-06-2012, 7:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Go in supermarkets after bank holidays they have lots of reduced a good way to save money,they have more reduced then usual.
Prizes I've won 2014
July-5 prizes
Aug-Gift certificates,shampoo

U X Y Z
2014/468.21
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miss scrooge For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
ss3n08
Old 14-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Don't go shopping hungry. It's so basic but every time I go hungry I (without fail) buy junky crud I eat on the way home.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ss3n08 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Living proof
Old 14-06-2012, 10:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Every few weeks, don't shop. Just use what you have and wait until your next normal shopping day. Tonight I have made soup with all sorts of leftovers as I am way next week. I am gobsmacked at how little there is in the fridge and yet still enough nourishment until I go. Maybe every 5 weeks do a frugal fast (see the thread) and its rather a cathartic experience.
2014 Frugal Living Challenge Save 12K in 2014 #095 7500/12000
Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14

Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Living proof For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
mvarrier
Old 09-07-2012, 8:53 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Sainsbury's tip

Sainsbury's gives you a voucher for money off your next shop is your branded goods are more expensive...

You can exploit this if you are doing a big shop. Put all your full price branded products through first and pay. Let's say this generates a voucher for 1 pound off your next shop. Now put all the rest of your shopping which includes all the half price/ 3 for 2 etc deals. Now your receipt says your branded shop was 3 pounds cheaper but you can still use your 1 pound off voucher.

If you had put it all through together you would simply have got a receipt saying your shop was 2 pounds cheaper and no discount.

Magic
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mvarrier For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Edwardia
Old 12-07-2012, 4:30 PM

Sometimes own brand organic can be cheaper than branded non organic for example Sainsbury's So Organic unsalted butter 1.49, President unsalted butter 1.55 or even 1.60

If you go shopping at a supermarket don't forget to factor in the petrol/fares/taxi to find out if you would have saved more money ordering it online and paying no/cheaper delivery charge.

Same goes for offers. If you save 3 on 6 items at Tesco and 2 on the same 6 items at Waitrose, when you add on delivery you will find that your savings were swallowed up with delivery charges at Tesco whereas the free delivery at Waitrose meant you saved 2
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Edwardia For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Stephen Leak
Old 12-07-2012, 5:37 PM

Shop with a list.

You don't forget things, you only buy things you need, and don't buy things you've already got.

However, obviously, if you find a bargain ...

All I need to do now is find a fool-proof way of remembering to put things on the list and to take the list with me.

PS. Trust a supermarket as far as you could spit their head office. Parking tickets from private companies are not legally enforceable.

Last edited by Stephen Leak; 25-07-2012 at 9:04 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Leak For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Cunfaro
Old 13-07-2012, 12:44 AM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Leak View Post
Shop with a list.

You don't forget things, you only buy things you need, and don't buy things you've already got.

However, obviously, if you find a bargain ...

All I need to do now is find a fool-proof way of remembering to put things on the list and to take the list with me.
thanks to you. good advice.
# 13
Owain Moneysaver
Old 25-07-2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
The use-by date: Bin it! Use-by means just that. Eating nosh beyond that date is risky, even if it looks and smells fine. Typical foods include diary [sic], milk, fish and eggs.
Quote:
As above, the key is that while eating beyond use bys is a health risk, there's no explicit safety risk just from eating food beyond best befores (except for eggs).
The use-by date is the supermarket's statistically-calculated best compromise between longest shelf life and least likely to poison you. The food doesn't magically turn bad at midnight.

Eggs must have either a best before or a use by date - it's legally impossible for them to have both. But they could be days or weeks old by the time they're on the shelf - they won't self-destruct at midnight either.

You can freeze food even if you don't freeze it on the day of purchase.
Wins and Freebies: ττhραṡτε, τεα-τώεl
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Owain Moneysaver For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Beckyy
Old 25-07-2012, 2:41 PM

I don't think downshifting applies to everything. Tesco Value toilet doesn't last anywhere near as long as a more expensive one - it's a false economy. Just stock up on a premium brand when on offer if you can.
# 15
milliemonster
Old 25-07-2012, 8:20 PM

Mealplan for the week, look at what you already have in your storecupboards/freezer and then make a list for what you need to feed you all for the week.

Then use mysupermarket to find out how much it's going to cost and when you do your shop take out the money in cash and leave your cards at home so you can't overspend and be tempted by all those special offers (that aren't that special after all)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to milliemonster For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Ilona
Old 25-07-2012, 9:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Don't take a list, just buy whatever is cheap, as long as it is wholesome and nutritious, buy reduced, yellow stickers, offers. Be flexible in your eating habits. Food is fuel for your body, don't shop with your eyes. Ignore the cakes, crisps, sweets, biscuits, fizzy drinks, they are not food.
Ilona
Don't spend more than you have coming in.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ilona For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
III2save
Old 23-08-2012, 11:05 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default @milliemonster: you can actually also buy at mysupermarket

@milliemonster: you can actually also buy at mysupermarket. you get it delivered from one of the stores in the site and they also have unique cashback offers.
The Following User Says Thank You to III2save For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
maman
Old 23-08-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living proof View Post
Every few weeks, don't shop. Just use what you have and wait until your next normal shopping day. Tonight I have made soup with all sorts of leftovers as I am way next week. I am gobsmacked at how little there is in the fridge and yet still enough nourishment until I go. Maybe every 5 weeks do a frugal fast (see the thread) and its rather a cathartic experience.
If you can't manage that for a whole week, try rolling your shopping day forward by a day each week.

Don't go 'top up' shopping. Do one shop and then manage until your next trip.

Write your menu plan based on using what's in your freezer, fridge and storecupboard and only by the extra bits you need.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
bloss0m
Old 16-10-2012, 1:39 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

post 20 is
# 20
Atidi
Old 16-10-2012, 2:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan