Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Budgeting & Bank Accounts > barclays online, no options WITHout pinsentry (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
barclays online, no options WITHout pinsentry
Closed Thread
Views: 7,171
# 1
burnoutbabe
Old 01-05-2012, 8:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default barclays online, no options WITHout pinsentry

Maybe I am going mad.

I log on using my long number and then it asks for the pin sentry passcode. However it says on the page, if no pin sentry you can use your memorable 5 digit number and password. But there is no where to actually type these, it always asks for last 5 digits of card and pinsentry code. (i tried typing them in the last 5 digits of card and pin sentry 8 digit code but it doesn't accept them there)

So what am i missing? I am sure i have a few times logged on without the pin sentry just to check balances.

cheers!
# 2
eira
Old 01-05-2012, 8:27 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Had similar problems. I was asked foir letters of password but there seemed to be no way of entering /creating a password. Several numbers that seemed to be irrelevant. I don't have an account-Barclays have taken over a firm I had a savings account with but even the 'helpline' were unclear whether this was why I now had 'internet banking'

I loathe Barclays with a passion and have diligently closed down every account they have taken over.Why I now have this account I can't access I don't know-dealing with Barclays is a maze of brick walls
# 3
stclair
Old 01-05-2012, 8:36 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

This may help answer your question:

http://www.barclays.co.uk/P1242572196135

UPDATE: I can not work out how you sign in though lol
I Work For NatWest
However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own

Last edited by stclair; 01-05-2012 at 8:41 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stclair For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
mgdavid
Old 01-05-2012, 9:12 PM

follow the link in previous post, and read it!

You HAVE to log in with Pin sentry the first time, while logged in you can set up a 5 digit number and Passcode, then in future you can use these.

"
How to set up a new passcode and memorable word:
1. Log into Online Banking using your PINsentry and visit the 'At a Glance' page
2. From the right-hand menu, select 'Customise my site'
3. Select 'Set up my 5-digit passcode and memorable word'
4. Enter your new details and save
Next time you wish to log in without PINsentry, you will be able to use the details you have saved. You will also be able to save your preferred log-in method, whether it's PINsentry or your passcode and memorable word, so that the appropriate log-in screen will be ready for you whenever you want to access Online Banking."

So once you've set yourself up with the 5-digit number and Passcode, and told it that's your preferred method, the option for Basic access login will appear on your Login screen.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgdavid For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
notbritishgas
Old 02-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdavid View Post
follow the link in previous post, and read it!

You HAVE to log in with Pin sentry the first time, while logged in you can set up a 5 digit number and Passcode, then in future you can use these.

"
How to set up a new passcode and memorable word:
1. Log into Online Banking using your PINsentry and visit the 'At a Glance' page
2. From the right-hand menu, select 'Customise my site'
3. Select 'Set up my 5-digit passcode and memorable word'
4. Enter your new details and save
Next time you wish to log in without PINsentry, you will be able to use the details you have saved. You will also be able to save your preferred log-in method, whether it's PINsentry or your passcode and memorable word, so that the appropriate log-in screen will be ready for you whenever you want to access Online Banking."

So once you've set yourself up with the 5-digit number and Passcode, and told it that's your preferred method, the option for Basic access login will appear on your Login screen.
But what happens if you do not have a Pin Sentry.

My OH has for a couple of years quite happily been logging in using the Basic access as she does not wish to carry out any transactions, merely to check her balance etc.

She has no desire to aquire a Pin Sentry. ???
# 6
Bloggsy6
Old 02-05-2012, 11:29 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I had to use Pin Sentry to set up my Basic access in much the same way mentioned above. I'm sure that their web site said it was only available if you already had Pin Sentry.

I think you also use Pin Sentry to reset your password if you're ever locked out. That's how it worked with the Basic access as they couldn't post me a new password or tell me one by phone.

I think you can get a Pin Sentry reader from their branches though. Might need to request one, just to set this up?
# 7
TotallyBroke
Old 02-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I do not have PINsentry but have just logged in using my normal login details.
I have to put my surname, my membership number, my 5 digit passcode and pick 2 letters of my word.
I'm not 100% sure but I think my membership and passcode are in fact my telephone banking details.
Check to see if you have these details already
# 8
Gloomendoom
Old 02-05-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notbritishgas View Post

My OH has for a couple of years quite happily been logging in using the Basic access as she does not wish to carry out any transactions, merely to check her balance etc.

Can she borrow one? Any bank will do.

I often use my wife's if my Barclays one isn't handy. I think hers is from the Nationwide.
# 9
mgdavid
Old 02-05-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
can she still do that, or are you saying it has stopped working?
# 10
notbritishgas
Old 02-05-2012, 3:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdavid View Post
can she still do that, or are you saying it has stopped working?
No she cannot log in. The login screen has changed to the new one and when she enters her membership number it takes her to the next screen which requires a passcode and letters from her memorable word, neither of which she has got.
From earlier posts on this thread I understand that is where the Pinsentry is required to obtain those new details.

I think a visit to Barclays is needed to hopefully use a Pinsentry there, I presume it is a Pinsentry that is on the counter into which you put your card when any counter transaction is required?

Edit: see update below

Last edited by notbritishgas; 02-05-2012 at 3:48 PM.
# 11
notbritishgas
Old 02-05-2012, 3:51 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
No she cannot log in. The login screen has changed to the new one and when she enters her membership number it takes her to the next screen which requires a passcode and letters from her memorable word, neither of which she has got.
From earlier posts on this thread I understand that is where the Pinsentry is required to obtain those new details.

I think a visit to Barclays is needed to hopefully use a Pinsentry there, I presume it is a Pinsentry that is on the counter into which you put your card when any counter transaction is required?

Edit: see update below
Doh yes she can log in, I had forgotten she already has a "password" so I tried her existing 5 digit number as the pass code and her password as the new memorable word and logged in OK.
# 12
notbritishgas
Old 02-05-2012, 3:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnoutbabe View Post
Maybe I am going mad.

I log on using my long number and then it asks for the pin sentry passcode. However it says on the page, if no pin sentry you can use your memorable 5 digit number and password. But there is no where to actually type these, it always asks for last 5 digits of card and pinsentry code. (i tried typing them in the last 5 digits of card and pin sentry 8 digit code but it doesn't accept them there)

So what am i missing? I am sure i have a few times logged on without the pin sentry just to check balances.

cheers!
On the first page I chose the Membership number option, well it was already chosen, and entered her original 12 digit number that she has used for last few years, then as I said in post above used her original 5 digit number and then letters from her password as the memorable word and it worked.
# 13
mgdavid
Old 02-05-2012, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Doh yes she can log in, I had forgotten ......
user error then.....

glad you got there in the end, shows the importance of reading stuff carefully enough to understand it :-)

PS - why are you logging in with your wife's security credentials?
I know marriage is a total partnership but IMO that is going too far.
# 14
iluvsaving
Old 02-05-2012, 8:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

PinSentry's are used as they keep your online banking a lot safer. They are for your own protection! They may take an extra 10 seconds to log in but isn't that worth it to keep your money safe?
Banking is always changing as banks look to stay up to date with the latest security, so please welcome such services.
The Following User Says Thank You to iluvsaving For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
notbritishgas
Old 03-05-2012, 8:35 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Mgdavid

user error then.....

Yes

PS - why are you logging in with your wife's security credentials?
I know marriage is a total partnership but IMO that is going too far

That does not matter as we have an agreement, what's mine is hers and whats hers is her own!

Last edited by notbritishgas; 03-05-2012 at 8:39 AM.
# 16
notbritishgas
Old 03-05-2012, 8:38 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvsaving View Post
PinSentry's are used as they keep your online banking a lot safer. They are for your own protection! They may take an extra 10 seconds to log in but isn't that worth it to keep your money safe?
Banking is always changing as banks look to stay up to date with the latest security, so please welcome such services.
Basic access on Barclays without the Pinsentry is in my opinion quite safe as no transactions can be carried out (except to transfer to another of your Barclays accounts) so it is virtually read only.
# 17
TotallyBroke
Old 03-05-2012, 8:52 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The fact that you can use a PINsentry device from a complete different bank and person does not instil me confidence on security.
I personally do not have one, but when I needed to pay some money into someone elses account the Barclays staff member used one. She put my card into a calculator looking thing and then asked me to put my pin in... how that thing connects to the banking system I have no idea.... but I'm not sure I like
# 18
wiggy68
Old 12-05-2012, 7:00 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

TotallyBroke - it works across all banks because it uses an industry standard design, the security and personalisation is in the chip on your card, not in the card reader, which is just that a "card-reader".

It does not connect to the back systems as all it is doing is validating that the PIN number entered belongs to the card. It works standalone - which is why it is so secure as it is not connected to the internet or the computer - it can not be compromised by viruses.
The Following User Says Thank You to wiggy68 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Gromitt
Old 12-05-2012, 9:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyBroke View Post
The fact that you can use a PINsentry device from a complete different bank and person does not instil me confidence on security.
I agree with wiggy68, it's quite secure due to how it works.

If you don't like that approach, you can use the HSBC security dongle, but if it breaks (and they do), you have no access to internet banking until it has been replaced as you can't borrow anyone elses. Thats why the above solution is flexible - your card itself is unlikely to break and the reader is just a standard piece of equipment. If you really wanted to, you could just buy a card reader for your PC and use that, but then you would be vulnerable to viruses, malware and the like.
# 20
kAos
Old 13-05-2012, 4:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Is this just me finding it shocking that in order to log in to my barclays on-line account (using pins entry) apart from my 4-digit pin number all other information is actually printed on my debit card. All a fraudster need is to have a look at me card, write down my name and the numbers there and they just need to guess (or use a few pinsentry "calculators") a four-digit pin, and they are in, able to transfer all my money off the account. I'm truly shocked with this lack of security!

Coupled this with their site's incompatibility with my browser/operating systems, I'm unable to contact them on-line for explanation (or even for looking up the details of my own account).

I'm livid and transferring my money out of them as soon as I get to one of their branches...
Closed Thread