IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Arthroplex "medicine" warning
Closed Thread
Views: 21,551
# 1
Creakyjoints
Old 27-04-2012, 2:45 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Arthroplex "medicine" warning

Just received a magazine insert for Arthroplex, alleged to be a rheumatism cure. This firm in the Netherlands is running a big UK sales drive this month.

I wouldn't touch this with a bargepole. Look at the X-ray pics in the flyer and even worse the day 1 to day 68 'progress' pics. Does anyone believe such improvement could be attained by a few months' taking plant extract?

Like anyone, I would pay or do anything to relieve the pain of my wife's arthritis. This snake oil certainly won't do anything except make money for those who are peddling it.

If you really must try this stuff, I suggest you pay by cheque. Do NOT give these people your credit card details.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Creakyjoints For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Alison Yates
Old 27-04-2012, 9:09 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thank you for mentioning the Arthroplex. My 79 year old Dad fell for the ad, which was inserted into the Radio Times at the beginning of March. He paid a cheque ... over 100 ... for tablets and gel, and posted the cheque and the form off to the Netherlands. He received the gel soon after, but to date he has not received the tablets. The cheque was cashed more than a month ago. I've tried to find out who this company is on the internet, but the address doesn't appear to exist. Can anyone shed any light on the matter? My Dad is usually a very together and alert individual, but his arthritis is getting the better of him and he said 'he was willing to try anything'. I feel so angry on my Dad's behalf. Oh, and the gel is absolutely useless and has NOT made a jot of difference. BEWARE EVERYONE!

Last edited by Alison Yates; 27-04-2012 at 9:10 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alison Yates For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
KevtheRev'd
Old 27-04-2012, 10:05 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I'm a doctor and even though I've a fairly open mind to alternatives this stuff, for which I've just had a flier from the caravan club, is untested (I have searched the medical literature today) and clearly making ridiculous claims for efficacy so great that if it was true they wouldn't need to advertise as the word would spread patient to patient in arthritis clinics and they wouldn't be able to make it fast enough! My advice would be never buy by post from outside the UK.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KevtheRev'd For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
ellay864
Old 27-04-2012, 10:57 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

From what I can see this product is only licensed as a veterinary product.
Married 15 Oct 2011 at Chester Zoo

Caution...weight loss in progress. May cause mood swings!!
The Following User Says Thank You to ellay864 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
darlyd
Old 27-04-2012, 11:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

OH DEAR!

I have been searching for ages to find something that will help with the first signs of arthritis, it's really horrid.
Hi, weve had to remove your signature. If youre not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if youre still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
# 6
building with lego
Old 27-04-2012, 11:57 PM

Cider apple vinegar, Darly, it's meant to be amazing at reducing the inflammation. One tablespoon daily. (I've been retaining the info since I was a teenager in case I ever get arthritis)
They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm.
# 7
theydonorient
Old 20-05-2012, 1:10 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Totally agree creaky joints post. I ordered 3 tubes of gel 9NEVER RECEIVED0 and 3 packs of tablets (only one received) . Theitr custmer service is a joke, virtuak=lly never reply and when they do they dont ever accept any responsibility and refuse to help. 100 down the drain. Hve complained to publication leafet was in (Saga magazine without response.Dont waste money ordering this product.
# 8
WolfSong2000
Old 20-05-2012, 4:01 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

For those that are having issues with arthritis...rosehip tea and also green lipped mussel may provide some relief...also, magnetic bracelets seem to work very well for some people. Not saying it's guaranteed to work, but have personally seen improvements with some individuals who have used these.
# 9
FrugalFranny
Old 20-05-2012, 4:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I had a similar bit of junk mail claiming to completely regenerate ruined knee joints in one of those "Best Of" leaflets that are sent to me, wish I'd kept it to send to the anti-scam peeps.
It claimed to heal knee joints 100%.....!?....with a cartoon of ruined knees joints and a "Hey presto!" picture of perfect knee joints one month later.
If only!
# 10
unsteady
Old 21-05-2012, 6:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Arthroplex Formulation

This one is not for dogs! There appear to be several different tablets with the same name when you Google Arthroplex. This one is mostly MSM which I have seen recommended for joints elsewhere. It also contains some well known pain relieving herbs such as arnica, devil's claw, bromelain. So no magic bullet! It's probably no worse or better than the myriad of other products advertised. I tried my first capsule today so can't give an opinion. Like many other people I've tried lots of these things and some of them seem to help a bit, or it might be my imagination. One lives in hope. So far the best "cure" for me is giving up beef which makes my joints inflamed - probably due to my IBS. Different people find different foods cause them problems, apparently. I suspect there are many different causes of arthritis which makes it difficult to generalise. Good luck!
# 11
Notyetavet
Old 23-05-2012, 1:44 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I've spent a fortune over the years on all types of arthritic reliefs and not a one works. I have even been told that my doctors are nothing but chemical sales people. I now spend quite a time on the net to find proof that these plant extracts work. The only one I can recommend - if you follow your doctor's advise- is aspirin. I gave hundreds of pounds worth of Glucosamine to a friends horse. So far she hasn't said anything either way, the mare that is.
# 12
JosephineJones
Old 29-05-2012, 7:26 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

After having been contacted through my blog by a couple of other unhappy customers, I Googled Arthroplex and found this thread. They also trade as Life Natural Cures and Life Healthcare and I had written about them before because they have been in trouble with the Advertising Standards Authority several times in the past for misleading advertising.

I would advise anyone who has had problems with this company to contact their local Trading Standards office or Citizens Advice Bureau.

I have written about this more fully on a recent post on my blog. There is also a similar thread on Gransnet. (I would link but being new here, I can't!)
The Following User Says Thank You to JosephineJones For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
gettingold61
Old 31-05-2012, 10:41 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Cool Arthroplex close call

Many thanks all I was considering this product and thanks to the information here will not now waste my money. I have just sent a full and frank complaint to the ASA and I would urge you all to do this on line. Unless they receive more information on this company nothing will be done.

I am sorry so many of you have been duped by this company for what I know is a very painful thing to endure. I was suspicious having had a knee op in my 30's for cartilage problems and suffered ever since being told by the Doctors then that there is no complete cure for these conditions.
# 14
scatty.sue
Old 01-06-2012, 9:39 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I ordered Arthroplex for my daughter on 28/04/12. The free gel arrived a few days before the actual capsules, which arrived on 26/05/12. The container was sealed but only contained 57 instead of 60 capsules. I informed Life Nature Cures by e-mail, but as yet, haven't had a reply.
# 15
gettingold61
Old 01-06-2012, 1:04 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Good news I have just heard back from the ASA they are currently investigating this companies advertising practices. If they find they have breached UK standards that would enable all those that have lost money to seek redress via Trading Standards.
# 16
JosephineJones
Old 10-06-2012, 9:02 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

The ASA told me they were already investigating this too.

I've also complained to the MHRA (Medicines and Healthcare Regulatory Agency), who told me that they and the ASA have received over forty complaints. They also said they have not yet found a UK address for this company but their investigations are ongoing.

I have also been contacted through my blog by quite a few people who have ordered the product (or other products from this company, also known as Life Natural Cures/Life Healthcare) and not received goods. I have advise them to contact their local Trading Standards office or Citizens Advice Bureau.
# 17
Hootie19
Old 10-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

So unscrupulous, aren't they? All for the money and not a thought to the false hope offered to those in excruciating pain.

I tried Rosehip for a while, as that was said to be brilliant, but I didn't really notice much difference.

My RA is brilliantly controlled by my present drugs regime, and I am currently totally pain free and totally mobile.

However, if that should change, and the next lot of drugs prove not as effective, I may consider this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...hes-pains.html

I don't know if it is likely to help or not, but I like the flavour of basil anyway, so it would be no hardship for me to buy some seeds and try growing a few plants to try out.
# 18
Sportscar_7
Old 15-06-2012, 1:24 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

There is nothing wrong with receiving medicines by post. I get Gluquestrian for my horse from the US. This has saved his life and this also has a money back guarantee and it actually works. It has rebuilt his joints and he is 29 years old. He has been on it for about four years. The company also do the same sort of thing for humans. I am taking this now as I have arthritis in my back and hips I havent been on it long enough but hopefully it will work.
# 19
geoffky
Old 15-06-2012, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscar_7 View Post
there is nothing wrong with receiving medicines by post. I get gluquestrian for my horse from the us. This has saved his life and this also has a money back guarantee and it actually works. It has rebuilt his joints and he is 29 years old. He has been on it for about four years. The company also do the same sort of thing for humans. I am taking this now as i have arthritis in my back and hips i havent been on it long enough but hopefully it will work.
why is my bullshi-T radar on full alert??
It is nice to see the value of your house going up'' Why ?
Unless you are planning to sell up and not live anywhere, I can;t see the advantage.
If you are planning to upsize the new house will cost more.
If you are planning to downsize your new house will cost more than it should
If you are trying to buy your first house its almost impossible.
# 20
Uncle Ben
Old 22-06-2012, 8:07 PM
MoneySaving Convert

An Arthoplex leaflet fell out of the Open University Alumni magazine. It looks too good to be true. If it was a genuine cure for arthritis it would have been on the front page of the Daily Express.

Ginger tea is an old Indian folk cure. Peel and chop some root ginger, and put it in the teapot with hot water. Even if it does not cure your arthritis, it is a pleasant drink.

Yoga is good for rheumatism. So is meditation. (Yuttadhammo on Youtube is a hero of mine.)

Oh, and plenty of rice...
Perfect every time

Last edited by Uncle Ben; 22-06-2012 at 8:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Ben For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread