Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    pixiechick
    Working tax credits for over 50s
    • 25th Apr 12, 10:17 AM
    Working tax credits for over 50s 25th Apr 12 at 10:17 AM
    When I was claiming JSA a couple of years ago, I was told that, after claiming for 6 months, I would be entitled to WTC if I got a job of 16+hours not the usual 30 hours.

I'm claiming JSA again and have seen a job working 24 hours a week. As I've been claiming for more than 6 months I checked on the calculator to see how much WTC I would be entitled to. I was surprised when it said that I wasn't entitled to any tax credits (I'm a single person in my 50s and not disabled.)

When I looked on direct.gov it said that you entitled to WTC if you were over 60 and worked 16+ hours per week.

Have the government changed this and I haven't heard about it?

If it means that I can't claim WTC, there will be no point me applying as I would be worse off once tax, NI and travelling costs are taken into account. It's so annoying because I want to work but I can't afford to be worse off than on JSA.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

92Posts Today

3,183Users online

Martin's Twitter