Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • helcat26
    • By helcat26 17th Apr 12, 8:56 AM
    • 612Posts
    • 1,719Thanks
    helcat26
    0 WOW
    Free Sat Nav on Android
    • 17th Apr 12, 8:56 AM
    0 WOW
    Free Sat Nav on Android 17th Apr 12 at 8:56 AM
    Official MoneySavingExpert Insert Jan 16

You can now download the Navmii app directly as well as Waze.

Back to the helcat26's original post..

---------------

http://www.expansys.com/navfree/
    from Expansys
    NavFree is the world’s first FREE "onboard" professional GPS navigation software, with
    turn-by-turn directions, voice guidance, auto-rerouting, live "Google" search, for the iPhone & iPad.
    Simply enter your details below and we'll send you a link to the latest Android. Please open the link on an Android device to install the software (Android 2.2 or higher is supported). You can download and install maps after the software installation. Then you don't need to be connected to the Internet to navigate the maps

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 26-01-2016 at 1:23 PM.
Page 1
  • vanq1
    • 22nd Apr 12, 1:50 AM
    Is this the full App
    • 22nd Apr 12, 1:50 AM
    Is this the full App or a 'lite' version?
    Is it full of ads?

Has anyone tried it?
    • MoneySavingUser
    • By MoneySavingUser 22nd Apr 12, 8:56 AM
    • 1,468 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    MoneySavingUser
    • 22nd Apr 12, 8:56 AM
    • 22nd Apr 12, 8:56 AM
    I downloaded this from: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navfree.android.OSM.ALL (don't need to enter details like phone number, email like on expansys)

I can't recall if it has ad's but if it does they are not very noticeable.

You need 300MB free space (on SD card) to download the UK map.

I haven't actually tried using it for planning a route yet though but the link above has some reviews.
    • By 3010 22nd Apr 12, 9:18 AM
    • 5,206 Posts
    • 66,770 Thanks
    • 22nd Apr 12, 9:18 AM
    • 22nd Apr 12, 9:18 AM
    Is this the full App or a 'lite' version?
    Is it full of ads?

Has anyone tried it?
    Originally posted by vanq1
    I find this app very useful on my iphone. The only adverts it has are the little strips at the bottom when you go into menus. There are no ads on the maps when you are using it.
    Last edited by 3010; 22-04-2012 at 9:31 AM.
    • jules888
    • By jules888 22nd Apr 12, 9:29 AM
    • 530 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    jules888
    • 22nd Apr 12, 9:29 AM
    • 22nd Apr 12, 9:29 AM
    Got me to sons away footie match ok!
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 22nd Apr 12, 9:44 AM
    • 15,113 Posts
    • 164,668 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    • 22nd Apr 12, 9:44 AM
    • 22nd Apr 12, 9:44 AM
    I downloaded it a while ago, it also has walking directions which is very useful to me! I do not have a sim in my tab so anything that manages to give directions without one is good for me!
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • John_the_Boy
    • By John_the_Boy 23rd Apr 12, 7:20 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    John_the_Boy
    • 23rd Apr 12, 7:20 PM
    • 23rd Apr 12, 7:20 PM
    Tried NavFree and it is quite good, I have recently changed to Waze. As well as being a satnav it allows you to report traffic issues...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.waze&hl=en

"When you download Waze, you not only get a free GPS traffic & navigation app, but also become part of the local driving community in your area, joining forces with other drivers nearby to outsmart traffic, save time and gas, and improve everyone's daily commute!
    Features:
    * Real-time traffic information and road reports + notifications when approaching police traps, speed cams, heavy traffic or hazards on the road
    * Free GPS & traffic-avoiding navigation featuring voice-guided, turn-by-turn directions
    * Automatic re-routing as conditions on the road change to save you time and gas
    * The ability to create or join local driving groups, plus the option to link up with other drivers for carpooling
    * Foursquare, Twitter & Facebook integration, plus fun, geo-gaming elements
    * The most fun way time on the road save money on gas
    How Does it Work?
    Just like your standard GPS device! After typing in your destination address, just drive with the app open on your phone to passively contribute traffic and other road data, but you can also take a more active role by sharing road reports on accidents, police traps, or any other hazards along the way, helping to give other users in the area a 'heads-up' about what's to come."
    • Syman
    • By Syman 8th Jun 12, 5:59 PM
    • 2,153 Posts
    • 5,415 Thanks
    Syman
    • 8th Jun 12, 5:59 PM
    • 8th Jun 12, 5:59 PM
    Tried NavFree and it is quite good, I have recently changed to Waze. As well as being a satnav it allows you to report traffic issues...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.waze&hl=en

"When you download Waze, you not only get a free GPS traffic & navigation app, but also become part of the local driving community in your area, joining forces with other drivers nearby to outsmart traffic, save time and gas, and improve everyone's daily commute!
    Features:
    * Real-time traffic information and road reports + notifications when approaching police traps, speed cams, heavy traffic or hazards on the road
    * Free GPS & traffic-avoiding navigation featuring voice-guided, turn-by-turn directions
    * Automatic re-routing as conditions on the road change to save you time and gas
    * The ability to create or join local driving groups, plus the option to link up with other drivers for carpooling
    * Foursquare, Twitter & Facebook integration, plus fun, geo-gaming elements
    * The most fun way time on the road save money on gas
    How Does it Work?
    Just like your standard GPS device! After typing in your destination address, just drive with the app open on your phone to passively contribute traffic and other road data, but you can also take a more active role by sharing road reports on accidents, police traps, or any other hazards along the way, helping to give other users in the area a 'heads-up' about what's to come."
    Originally posted by John_the_Boy
    I have just discovered this app so will be testing it out locally. How have you found it? is it as good as the hype?

Sy..
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow..
    • Analyst
    • By Analyst 10th Jun 12, 8:30 AM
    • 1,456 Posts
    • 16,621 Thanks
    Analyst
    • 10th Jun 12, 8:30 AM
    • 10th Jun 12, 8:30 AM
    Android comes with sat nav built in, so you do not need to download another app.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 11th Jun 12, 1:56 PM
    • 6,150 Posts
    • 2,409 Thanks
    almillar
    Android's sat nav (I'll ignore any HTC/Samsung own brand stuff) downloads maps on the go (though there is a way to pre-cache) so there's a risk that you'll go over any data allowance, or, be in the middle of nowhere, with no data connection, and no map!
    Nav-Free, as mentioned above, stores the map on your phone more like a traditional sat nav device, so has a distinct advantage.
    Depends where you travel of course, but I've found it to be very good for travelling with good guidance and maps, and a clear display and quick GPS update. A lot of this depends on what device you run it on of course.
    I also like Waze, which is sortof social sat nav, where you help create the mapping, and can report traffic jams and roadworks etc to other Waze users. Mapping and guidance is pretty good, but navigation isn't as full featured by a long way. Good for keeping you updated with traffic on the commute without waiting for a traffic report on the radio though!
    • Torkijo
    • By Torkijo 12th Jun 12, 7:48 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    Torkijo
    Been using Nav Free for a year or so now, on both 3GS and S2 and find it great - takes a while to get the TomTom style out of my head having used that for years but like this one -Android version still a little behind the ios version but its catching up
  • 23james
    The native android maps/navigation app is pretty damn good...
  • Splats
    Does this only cover the UK?

I'm going to Orlando in the summer - can I use a system such as this on my iphone rather than hiring a Satnav off the car hire people (in effect it would be cheaper for me to buy a satnav in the US< but I've got to navigate to a store first!).

When I'm using something like Navfree, do I need data roaming for the GPS to work, or can I turn this off whilst I'm abroad to avoid roaming data costs.
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 13th Jun 12, 9:26 PM
    • 6,406 Posts
    • 4,682 Thanks
    Jo4
    Does any of these cover Ireland?
    Aiming for 18 NSDs in May 2016 - 13/18
    January 2016 - 22; February - 15; March - 22; April - 18
    • safetygirl
    • By safetygirl 13th Jun 12, 9:39 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    safetygirl
    i have downloaded this free navfree several times now and when it has installed i ask it to open and it sends me to my hotmail account, where the link was; or if i say 'done' it goes to the navfree icon, which when i touch it to open, just stays on my menu screen after a brief flicker.

What am i doing wrong please someone techy and knowledgeable
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 14th Jun 12, 8:16 AM
    • 15,113 Posts
    • 164,668 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    The Nav Free does not need data roaming - I use it on my tab and that has no sim in it.

My current download is UK and ROI.

You would have to check whether it includes the USA - it is not on my list of downloadable maps.

As for safetygirl - what phone and what platform?
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • almillar
    • By almillar 14th Jun 12, 12:42 PM
    • 6,150 Posts
    • 2,409 Thanks
    almillar
    Jo4 - yes, NavFree and Waze cover Ireland.
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 14th Jun 12, 11:23 PM
    • 6,406 Posts
    • 4,682 Thanks
    Jo4
    Jo4 - yes, NavFree and Waze cover Ireland.
    Originally posted by almillar
    Is there any free sat nav which can be used on an iphone in Ireland?
    • almillar
    • By almillar 15th Jun 12, 1:01 PM
    • 6,150 Posts
    • 2,409 Thanks
    almillar
    Waze is available for iPhone, but I don't have an iPhone...
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 15th Jun 12, 1:17 PM
    • 6,406 Posts
    • 4,682 Thanks
    Jo4
    Waze is available for iPhone, but I don't have an iPhone...
    Originally posted by almillar
    Is there a direct link for iphones because I can't find it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,901Posts Today

6,336Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @WaterWatchdog: More than 250,000 consumers used our water meter calculator in 2015/16 - thanks in no small part to this man.... https:/?

• A phrase I never thought I'd read, "George Clooney plays Lee Gates, a brash version of our Martin Lewis" - Sun's review of Money Monster.

• RT @BeautyMeSurrey: @MartinSLewis sainsburys offer is back working!! Thank you!

• Follow Martin