Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Vision Express "FREE" Eye Test Voucher - scam?!
    • 16th Apr 12, 9:45 AM
    Vision Express "FREE" Eye Test Voucher - scam?! 16th Apr 12 at 9:45 AM
    I receive a letter from Vision Express in the post last week and attached was a voucher for 'FREE eye test plus 50 off eyewear'. I carefully checked if there were any T&Cs or smallprint (as it did sound like a very good deal) but there weren't any so I booked an appointment at my local branch.

I had my eye test and it turns out I did need glasses so I was asked to choose some frames. I chose some 80 ones, keeping in mind my 50 voucher so I only had to pay 30. I was then told to add an extra 81 for my lenses. when i realised how high the price was going to be, I explained to the member of staff serving me that I did not had sufficiant funds in my bank account until my payday later on in the week. I asked if I could pay a deposit now and pay the balance upon collection (I know some other Opticians do this) but I wasn;t allowed to do that. He then told me that because I wasn't purchasing my glasses today, I would now have to pay for my eye test (25!). I reminded him of my 'free eye test' voucher but he refused to let me use it, saying it was invalid if I wasn't buying any eyewear.

I reluctantly paid the 25 and took my prescription - needless to say I will NOT be going back to a Vision Express store to get my glasses!

When I returned home I carefully re-read the letter and voucher, checking it didn't say "for terms & conditions please see our website", or something similar. But it DEFINITELY didn't.

So, is there anything I can do? I have made a complaint on the Vision Express website. I just feel so silly for paying for the eye test, I should have stuck to my guns but it's difficult to do when you're on your own
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,945Posts Today

6,621Users online

Martin's Twitter