Good smartphone for older person?

Options
A couple of years ago I tried switching from my non-smart Nokia 3100C to a Samsung Galaxy. I found it confusing when trying to make or receive calls. It was so easy to accidentally activate something unintentionally by brushing the touchscreen when holding the phone up to my ear. I found this really unnerving and despite trying, I couldn't find a way to stop it from happening. I abandoned the smartphone and went back to the Nokia.

However, the Nokia is going to die one of these days, and I do miss the smartphone features such as internet access when out and about. I can use my ipod touch for this in hotspots, but hotspots are few and far between. What's it like making calls on the iphone? I'm wondering if that would solve my problems, or maybe all touchscreen phones would cause me problems. How can I find out, before investing so much cash? Or can anyone recommend a cheaper phone that's easy to use? I realize I may be the only person who encounters this problem. I probably have overactive earlobes or something. :)

Comments

• mjdh1957
    mjdh1957 Posts: 657 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    There is a setting to disable the touch screen while it's in use as a phone. Have a look at all the different settings - it took me a little while to get used to my smartphone (also a Samsung Galaxy Ace), but now I wouldn't be without it.
    Retired in 2015.
    Moved to Ireland September 2017
  • ticktack_2
    ticktack_2 Posts: 172 Forumite
    Options
    mjdh1957 wrote: »
    There is a setting to disable the touch screen while it's in use as a phone. Have a look at all the different settings - it took me a little while to get used to my smartphone (also a Samsung Galaxy Ace), but now I wouldn't be without it.

What a useful piece of information! Thanks for that. I'm not sure my Galaxy has this trick. It's a Portal, the one before the Ace. I've looked in the Settings and in the manual and can't find anything.

I have a feeling it might have come in with later models than mine. Some Android sites mention something called a proximity sensor, which can ... err... sense proximity. Presumably the setting you mention disables the screen when this sensor is signalling. I've examined the phone carefully and can't find any opening that could conceivably be a proximity sensor. Since it also isn't mentioned in the manual, it looks like my phone hasn't got that facility. But it cheers me up amazingly to learn that I'm not the only one who ran into this problem, and later phones have got a "fix" for it. Thank you!!
  • mjdh1957
    mjdh1957 Posts: 657 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I would guess that as the screen is sensitive to fingers rather than things like pens, that it somehow 'knows' that there is a person close to it. Whether that applies to the Portal model I don't know.
    Retired in 2015.
    Moved to Ireland September 2017
  • ticktack_2
    Options
    mjdh1957 wrote: »
    I would guess that as the screen is sensitive to fingers rather than things like pens, that it somehow 'knows' that there is a person close to it. Whether that applies to the Portal model I don't know.

That's what causes the problem. The screen is sensitive to fingers -- and also to ears or cheeks or any other bit of anatomy that touches it. It can't distinguish between fingers and ears, so the sensitivity of the screen can't be used to lock the screen. That's why there has to be an off-screen "proximity sensor" to do the job. If you look closely around the top of your phone you should be able to see it. http://www.galaxyace.net/ says it's in the top right corner (on the front). My Portal doesn't have that, and that's why it can't be made to autolock the screen during calls.

I only found out about this brilliant improvement as a result of your post. Now I know I don't have to save up for an iphone, but can buy an Android phone, making sure that it has a proximity sensor.

Problem solved... Much appreciated!
  • Absinthe_2
    Absinthe_2 Posts: 994 Forumite
    Options
    I love my Nokia N8. Its a touch-phone, and yes sensitive, but that can be adjusted easily in settings, so no worries. Its also been dropped, flung across the room by toddlers, with no ill effects, so very hard wearing. Its why is my brand of choice. I'm after a Nokia Lumia 900 next. :D
    Oh well...
    Sealed pot challenge no: 1770
  • ticktack_2
    edited 15 April 2012 at 12:05AM
    Options
    Absinthe wrote: »
    I love my Nokia N8. Its a touch-phone, and yes sensitive, but that can be adjusted easily in settings, so no worries. Its also been dropped, flung across the room by toddlers, with no ill effects, so very hard wearing. Its why is my brand of choice. I'm after a Nokia Lumia 900 next. :D

I liked the old Nokias like my 3100C a lot. I haven't really thought about getting a Nokia smartphone, mainly because I understand Nokia doesn't have an apps market like the Android and Apple apps markets. I'm very partial to downloading new apps and trying them out. :)

Some apps, like the London bus one, have been so useful to me. Wonderful to be able to find out where the nearest bus stop is, where it goes, where to get off, etc. Sitting on a bus and following the journey with google maps and the bus app is a lot of fun. I guess that's a sign of my age. :)

Correction: My mistake. The new Windows Nokias like the Lumia do have an apps store. Apologies for my error.
  • Absinthe_2
    Absinthe_2 Posts: 994 Forumite
    Options
    Nokia store had been around for some time, and has some really cool apps, and games. A lot of them free. I love the Sat Nav software included on smart phones such as the N8, or Lumia, Nokia Maps, as is excellent.
    Oh well...
    Sealed pot challenge no: 1770
  • HoplessCase
    Options
    My dad is 58 and wanted a smartphone with a good camera, mainly because he liked my iPhone. For his birthday I got him the Samsung Galaxy Ace and he loves it! It took him a little while to get to grips with it and I'm sure he has tried all the features yet but actually he picked up much quicker than either of us expected :T

It cost around the £150 mark and I have to say I think it's as good as my iPhone which is worth several hundreds more!! :eek:

My work pay for my iPhone but if I should leave I would definitely consider getting this phone for myself as a more affordable and comparable alternative.

Anyway hope that's useful - I don't know anyone who doesn't accidentally operate their touchscreen with their ear the first few times they use it!
    On a mission to be mortgage free!
    MFW OP 2017 #106: £16,951.67 / £31, 626.61
  • Newly_retired
    Newly_retired Posts: 2,964 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry to cash in on your thread but I too have an old Nokia which I would like to upgrade .
    This Samsung Galaxy sounds good. Can you tell me if it is compatible with Bluetooth as my new car is fitted with this but my old phone is not compatible. Sorry to show my total ignorance.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    just to add to this, i consider myself a somewhat oldie, 51, i have an htc wildfire and its brilliant, i love it 'cause of its size, it not some big tablet thing and they are very cheap, i would not be without it and the free sat nav, that comes with it, has really helped us when on car journeys. I was given an upgrade, but have chosen to still use this, as its really easy. Ticktack what is the london bus app you have, i would love that - gonna check them out, but in case there are more than 1, what do you use
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure