Price for Thailand in Nov?

Options
Can anyone help, we are looking to go away this year and fancy Thailand.
Looking for the below schedule, but need it to include all travel.

Thanks

Bangkok 3 nights at the Loft Inn
Chiang Mai 3 Nights at the Top Garden
Koh Samui 7 nights at the Water Front

Price to include all travel, happy to fly from any London Airport

Looking to go any time in November

Comments

• Bob_the_Saver
    Bob_the_Saver Posts: 5,610 Forumite
    Options
    Google your flights kayak or whatever, google your hotels (so many sites) and add the prices together, simple.
  • littlereddevil
    littlereddevil Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    Options
    what is the cheapest you have found so far?
    travelover
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,147 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would just book it as a DIY. Flights to Thailand are usually reasonably cheap in November as it's before the Xmas peak season.

Flights BKK -> Chiang Mai - Air Asia are usually the cheapest but they don't fly to Samui. Bangkok Airways do the whole BKK - CM - Samui route.

Otherwise, a lot of people get the train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai then fly back. The train is a great experience but it takes a long time.

In terms of hotels, are you set on those choices or are you happy to look at alternatives?
  • Welshy213
    Welshy213 Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thankg guys,

So far we have got it down to £800 each for 2 people.

Thats return flights to BKK
    1st Class train "1" BKK to Chiang Mai
    Flight back to BKK
    return Flight koh samui

plus all accomodation

Dosh, these are the hotel the other half selected as she wants somewhere not too commercial.
    Thanks

John
  • Doshwaster
    Options
    welshy213 wrote: »
    Thankg guys,

So far we have got it down to £800 each for 2 people.

Thats return flights to BKK
    1st Class train "1" BKK to Chiang Mai
    Flight back to BKK
    return Flight koh samui

plus all accomodation

That looks to be a good price and I doubt you'll be able to shave much off that. What will be putting the cost up are the return flights to Samui as none of the budget airlines fly there. Bangkok Airways own the airport and don't allow the likes of Air Asia to use it. You could save a little bit by flying Air Asia to Surat Thani and get the boat across (weather depending!) but it may not be worth the hassle.
    Dosh, these are the hotel the other half selected as she wants somewhere not too commercial.

Well, it's an interesting choice of hotels. The Loft Inn is on the "other" side of the river away from most of the tourist areas so it will be quieter. The Top Garden is in an excellent location near the centre and night market and from the website is looks excellent value for money (You'll love Chiang Mai - everything is so cheap compared to Bangkok and the major tourist resorts). The Water Front looks ideal if you want a hotel in a quiet and relaxing location away from the party crowds.
  • Welshy213
    Options
    Thanks Dosh, I assume with the Loft hotel being "on the other side" travel is relatively cheap?
  • Welshy213
    Options
    Dosh,

Or given that we are only there for 3 days, any suggestions on hotel or what areas we should look to be staying in circa 1500 bhat/night
  • shaunskankdog
    Options
    I would fly Bangkok to Koh Samui, not AirAsia. I did Air Asia ( and they really are fantastic) to Surat Thani...but too much hassle. I was up at 0400 for 0700 ish flt, transfer on bus from Surat took an hour and a bit, after waiting an hour at the airport....an hour and a bit on the ferry, then an hour to Chaweng/Lamai. Think it took 10hrs altogether from waking up lol. Koh Samui airport is smack bang ten mins from Chaweng. Fabuloso and it is a stunningly beautiful airport...with great service.
    Enjoy amazing Thailand.
  • Doshwaster
    edited 10 April 2012 at 6:08PM
    Options
    Dosh,

Or given that we are only there for 3 days, any suggestions on hotel or what areas we should look to be staying in circa 1500 bhat/night

There are prices for all pockets in Bangkok but the "other side" of the river does tend to be a little cheaper as it's less commercial. I tend to stop in the Suhkumvit area which is *very* commercial and right in the middle of things. For a quieter life on the river I like the Navali River Resort (http://www.navalai.com) - it's also walking distance from the Kaho San Rd if you want to get in touch with your hippy backpacking side.
    I would fly Bangkok to Koh Samui, not AirAsia. I did Air Asia ( and they really are fantastic) to Surat Thani...but too much hassle. I was up at 0400 for 0700 ish flt, transfer on bus from Surat took an hour and a bit, after waiting an hour at the airport....an hour and a bit on the ferry, then an hour to Chaweng/Lamai. Think it took 10hrs altogether from waking up lol. Koh Samui airport is smack bang ten mins from Chaweng. Fabuloso and it is a stunningly beautiful airport...with great service.
    Enjoy amazing Thailand.

Yes, that's why I suggested it probably wasn't worth the hassle. If the weather is nice then it can be an interesting trip but most people don't bother. Koh Samui airport must be one of the most beautiful in the world and landing there is an experience all of its own and, as you say, it's only a short ride to most of the beaches.
  • shaunskankdog
    Options
    Welshy...you have to see the amazing Loy Krathong in Chiang Mai....if there is one thing you do....Only in November.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loi_Krathong

Very emotional.

Again...enjoy amazing Thailand
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills