IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Free kits from Anglian Water
Views: 7,288
# 1
WOW Factor 0
sparrer
Old 16-03-2012, 3:47 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Free kits from Anglian Water

MoneySavingExpert.com Official Insert:

Anglian Water customers can fill in their details on Anglian Water's site to get a free Garden Water Saving Kit. The kit includes a packet of water storing crystals and water storing mats.

See the Water Bills and Home and Energy Grants guides for more water saving freebies.

Thanks to forumite sparrer for originally posting the info.

Back to their original post....

--------------

Just scoured the Anglian Water website and come up with the following re the forthcoming hosepipe ban -

What am I still allowed to do?
  • Use a hosepipe in a garden or for cleaning walls or windows of domestic premises, paths or patios, a private leisure boat or an artificial outdoor surface, where such use is necessary for health and safety reasons;
  • Use a hosepipe in the course of a business to clean a private motor vehicle, or for cleaning walls or windows of domestic premises, paths or patios or an artificial outdoor surface, where this is done as a service to customers
  • Use a hosepipe to water a garden attached to a domestic dwelling or to water plants on domestic premises by people with severe mobility problems or who hold a current Blue Badge issued by their local authority. (Don't think many know this, it'll be very useful for a lot of us who can't carry cans and buckets)
  • Use a hosepipe to water an area of grass or an artificial outdoor surface used for playing sport or recreation (but not for any ancillary use), where this is required in connection with a national or international sports event only.
  • Use of drip or trickle irrigation watering systems fitted with a pressure reducing valve and a timer, that are not handheld and which place water by drip directly onto the soil surface or beneath the soil surface, without any surface run off or dispersion of water through the air using a jet or mist.
They're also offering free kits for the garden -

http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/6B6018...0F65A31D4.aspx

and for the house, fitted free of charge by their own plumbers -

http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/enviro...y/we-products/

Hope the links work, I don't have a lot of faith in my techie efforts!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

I'm just a little Cockney sparrer
'Save 12k in 2014' #070. Goal 3k
Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most ~ Buddha

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 20-03-2012 at 8:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to sparrer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
mightyroyals
Old 16-03-2012, 3:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You need to be a Anglian water customer to get these offers as you have to enter your account number.
CashBack earned to date - 1244-58
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mightyroyals For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
sparrer
Old 16-03-2012, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyroyals View Post
You need to be a Anglian water customer to get these offers as you have to enter your account number.

Sorry I forgot to mention that you should be a customer, but you don't need to enter an account number as it says, above the box, 'Customer Account Number optional'. I didn't put mine in because I couldn't be bothered to go upstairs and find the bill. hth
# 4
mightyroyals
Old 16-03-2012, 4:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrer View Post
Sorry I forgot to mention that you should be a customer, but you don't need to enter an account number as it says, above the box, 'Customer Account Number optional'. I didn't put mine in because I couldn't be bothered to go upstairs and find the bill. hth
Should be fine as long as you are on there database as a customer i should think
CashBack earned to date - 1244-58
# 5
Col67
Old 16-03-2012, 4:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Just ordered the gardening kit. My bill landed with a thud this morning so no problem with my account number! Many thanks.

Last edited by Col67; 16-03-2012 at 4:45 PM. Reason: *
# 6
Sheahaven
Old 16-03-2012, 4:44 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks.
Um.. I did it and the form went through (I'm in Yorkshire).

..and I've checked my local supplier and they're only still doing the showersave and fat traps.
# 7
SailorSam
Old 16-03-2012, 4:50 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Thanks Op, it said i've successfully applied, hope they don't realise i'm up here in Liverpool.
Now that i'm what you could describe as an older person i've stopped eating health foods.
I need all the preservatives i can get.

# 8
pinkclouds
Old 16-03-2012, 6:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks, OP. Have gone through the website and ordered every freebie that looks useful!
# 9
paadzer
Old 16-03-2012, 7:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks but not with Anglian Water even though I live in Cambridge!
# 10
G_M
Old 16-03-2012, 11:04 PM

I had their plumber visit. He left me a hose attachment (so you don't leave the hose running,not that you're allowed to use it anymore!) but also adapted both loos so you can do a short or long flush for number ones or twos!
# 11
gallygirl
Old 17-03-2012, 8:59 AM

I had them out last year, free hose gun, short flush toilets and those thingies on taps so use less water. Great service, I was well chuffed, even though as a customer I've actually paid for the fact it's free .

So to all those of you out of area - stop stealing from my water company as I will be paying for it .

Off to see what water companies in Cambridge & Liverpool are offering .
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
116.7k to go by Aug 16......... next target btl1 fully offset by Feb 14, currently 21.8k4.6k
Interim target - total below 100k in Aug 13 - achieved Sept 13
The Following User Says Thank You to gallygirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
iris
Old 17-03-2012, 10:10 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Free installed Bits and Bobs

Entered our postcode and would you believe that even though we are with Anglia Water, we are not entitled to this offer
The Following User Says Thank You to iris For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
surfsister
Old 17-03-2012, 12:25 PM

yeah me too I'm a stone's throw from Alton reservoir yet don't qualify!!!

Entered our postcode and would you believe that even though we are with Anglia Water, we are not entitled to this offer[/QUOTE]
# 14
sparrer
Old 17-03-2012, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris View Post

Entered our postcode and would you believe that even though we are with Anglia Water, we are not entitled to this offer
That sounds odd, I'd query that with them.
# 15
echo
Old 19-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

checked for me and my mam and we're not entitled either
sarcasm is just one more service i offer
# 16
amszephyr
Old 19-03-2012, 2:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris View Post

I'm the same: I live in IP12 and am an Anglia Water customer, yet I received the message: "Thank you for your interest, unfortunately your property is not currently in one of the areas eligible for our Water Efficiency Survey."

Last edited by amszephyr; 19-03-2012 at 2:07 PM.
# 17
juliebunny
Old 21-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'm with Thames Water (I think) and they have much the same restrictions.

I find it ridiculous that I can't wash my car with a hosepipe (not that I want to) myself, but that I can take it down the road to the hand car wash and they are allowed to do it! It's about money and business not water shortages.

And I'm not allowed to fill up my fishpond, which also has several pairs of mating frogs in it - I just have to watch their tadpoles dry up and die? I've already lost 2 fish over the weekend as the level got so low. I'm sure that last time there was an allowance to let people fill up ponds if they had living creatures in them. My local wildlife sanctuary begged me not to fill in my pond when I told them I couldn't look after it properly! Now what am I supposed to do? I'm going to be filling it up until the ban starts 4 April! The frogs are due to lay their spawn any day now. I would gladly give up having baths for the entire summer to give them my water.

I note they have a convenient exclusion in for the Olympics too. No doubt the council will be able to water all the plants that have suddenly appeared in my area (as we have an Olympic Venue). They are also putting in a new pumping station for the venue (it's water rafting or something - who cares - no tickets for locals of course!! Not that I would pay those prices seeing as we've already funded the flipping thing anyway!!)
Less stuff, more life, love, laughter and cats!
2014 = the year I finally get my house tidy any get fit and healthy!

Last edited by juliebunny; 21-03-2012 at 1:07 PM.
# 18
sarah1972
Old 21-03-2012, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebunny View Post
I'm with Thames Water (I think) and they have much the same restrictions.

I find it ridiculous that I can't wash my car with a hosepipe (not that I want to) myself, but that I can take it down the road to the hand car wash and they are allowed to do it! It's about money and business not water shortages.

And I'm not allowed to fill up my fishpond, which also has several pairs of mating frogs in it - I just have to watch their tadpoles dry up and die? I've already lost 2 fish over the weekend as the level got so low. I'm sure that last time there was an allowance to let people fill up ponds if they had living creatures in them. My local wildlife sanctuary begged me not to fill in my pond when I told them I couldn't look after it properly! Now what am I supposed to do? I'm going to be filling it up until the ban starts 4 April! The frogs are due to lay their spawn any day now. I would gladly give up having baths for the entire summer to give them my water.

I note they have a convenient exclusion in for the Olympics too. No doubt the council will be able to water all the plants that have suddenly appeared in my area (as we have an Olympic Venue). They are also putting in a new pumping station for the venue (it's water rafting or something - who cares - no tickets for locals of course!! Not that I would pay those prices seeing as we've already funded the flipping thing anyway!!)
You can top up your pond if it has fish in.

Filling or maintaining a domestic pond using a hosepipe

10.(1) The category of use in section 76(2)(g) of the Act does not include filling or maintaining a domestic pond in which fish or other aquatic animals are being reared or kept in captivity.

(2) In that section, domestic pond means a pond, including a swimming pond, on land that

(a)is used or enjoyed in connection with a building, or part of a building, used principally as a dwelling; and

(b)is not being used for the purposes of a business.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...rticle/10/made

and a bit here http://www.farmgarden.org.uk/ari/new...astern-england

and here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17111554
I'm a Board Guide on the Freebies and Freebies (Low Spend) Board, discount codes 'n' vouchers and music moneysaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

New to MSE? http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sit...oduction-guide
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarah1972 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
juliebunny
Old 21-03-2012, 2:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Sarah1972 - Thank you so much!!! I could kiss you!
Am going to print out and show to my Boyfriend who keeps telling me I'm not allowed to use my hosepipe already and that the neighbours are going to report me and I'll get a massive fine!

I'm so careful with my own water usage - I'm happy to have fewers showers and no baths , don't leave the tap running when cleaning my teeth, ordered a water hippo for my cistern and even to leave the yellow to mellow. And no I'm not on a water meter! But I lovingly rear my little tads each year, cooking them up lettuce and giving them hidey areas so the goldfish don't much them, then little ramps to get out when their legs grow, and hidey places in the garden!

Ribbit! Baby Kermits you will be saved!
Less stuff, more life, love, laughter and cats!
2014 = the year I finally get my house tidy any get fit and healthy!
The Following User Says Thank You to juliebunny For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
sarah1972
Old 21-03-2012, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebunny View Post
Sarah1972 - Thank you so much!!! I could kiss you!
Am going to print out and show to my Boyfriend who keeps telling me I'm not allowed to use my hosepipe already and that the neighbours are going to report me and I'll get a massive fine!

I'm so careful with my own water usage - I'm happy to have fewers showers and no baths , don't leave the tap running when cleaning my teeth, ordered a water hippo for my cistern and even to leave the yellow to mellow. And no I'm not on a water meter! But I lovingly rear my little tads each year, cooking them up lettuce and giving them hidey areas so the goldfish don't much them, then little ramps to get out when their legs grow, and hidey places in the garden!

Ribbit! Baby Kermits you will be saved!
I am the same as you, my fish and frogs are my pets

I have used my hose to fill my water butts up to the brim and I am going to put the hose on and give the whole garden a good soak the day before the ban just to give the garden a few days head start.

I also bought 2 of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...00_i00_details which I have set up and they are great ! I bought the attachement and set it up attached to the water butt so at least my veg will be properly watered !
I'm a Board Guide on the Freebies and Freebies (Low Spend) Board, discount codes 'n' vouchers and music moneysaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

New to MSE? http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sit...oduction-guide
The Following User Says Thank You to sarah1972 For This Useful Post: Show me >>