Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sparrer
    • By sparrer 16th Mar 12, 3:47 PM
    • 7,187Posts
    • 52,061Thanks
    sparrer
    0 WOW
    Free kits from Anglian Water
    • 16th Mar 12, 3:47 PM
    0 WOW
    Free kits from Anglian Water 16th Mar 12 at 3:47 PM
    MoneySavingExpert.com Official Insert:

Anglian Water customers can fill in their details on Anglian Water's site to get a free Garden Water Saving Kit. The kit includes a packet of water storing crystals and water storing mats.

See the Water Bills and Home and Energy Grants guides for more water saving freebies.

Thanks to forumite sparrer for originally posting the info.

Back to their original post....

--------------

Just scoured the Anglian Water website and come up with the following re the forthcoming hosepipe ban -

What am I still allowed to do?
    • Use a hosepipe in a garden or for cleaning walls or windows of domestic premises, paths or patios, a private leisure boat or an artificial outdoor surface, where such use is necessary for health and safety reasons;
    • Use a hosepipe in the course of a business to clean a private motor vehicle, or for cleaning walls or windows of domestic premises, paths or patios or an artificial outdoor surface, where this is done as a service to customers
    • Use a hosepipe to water a garden attached to a domestic dwelling or to water plants on domestic premises by people with severe mobility problems or who hold a current Blue Badge issued by their local authority. (Don't think many know this, it'll be very useful for a lot of us who can't carry cans and buckets)
    • Use a hosepipe to water an area of grass or an artificial outdoor surface used for playing sport or recreation (but not for any ancillary use), where this is required in connection with a national or international sports event only.
    • Use of drip or trickle irrigation watering systems fitted with a pressure reducing valve and a timer, that are not handheld and which place water by drip directly onto the soil surface or beneath the soil surface, without any surface run off or dispersion of water through the air using a jet or mist.
    They're also offering free kits for the garden -

http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/6B6018CA4E484937A74FC6F0F65A31D4.aspx

and for the house, fitted free of charge by their own plumbers -

http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/environment/using-water-wisely/we-products/

Hope the links work, I don't have a lot of faith in my techie efforts!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 20-03-2012 at 8:10 PM.
    I'm just a little Cockney sparrer

Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most ~ Buddha

Pay it forward
Page 1
  • mightyroyals
    • 16th Mar 12, 3:53 PM
    • 16th Mar 12, 3:53 PM
    You need to be a Anglian water customer to get these offers as you have to enter your account number.
    CashBack earned to date - 1244-58
    • sparrer
    • By sparrer 16th Mar 12, 3:59 PM
    • 7,187 Posts
    • 52,061 Thanks
    sparrer
    • 16th Mar 12, 3:59 PM
    • 16th Mar 12, 3:59 PM
    You need to be a Anglian water customer to get these offers as you have to enter your account number.
    Originally posted by mightyroyals

Sorry I forgot to mention that you should be a customer, but you don't need to enter an account number as it says, above the box, 'Customer Account Number optional'. I didn't put mine in because I couldn't be bothered to go upstairs and find the bill. hth

Pay it forward
  • mightyroyals
    • 16th Mar 12, 4:03 PM
    • 16th Mar 12, 4:03 PM
    Sorry I forgot to mention that you should be a customer, but you don't need to enter an account number as it says, above the box, 'Customer Account Number optional'. I didn't put mine in because I couldn't be bothered to go upstairs and find the bill. hth
    Originally posted by sparrer
    Should be fine as long as you are on there database as a customer i should think
    CashBack earned to date - 1244-58
  • Col67
    • 16th Mar 12, 4:43 PM
    • 16th Mar 12, 4:43 PM
    Just ordered the gardening kit. My bill landed with a thud this morning so no problem with my account number! Many thanks.
    Last edited by Col67; 16-03-2012 at 4:45 PM. Reason: *
  • Sheahaven
    • 16th Mar 12, 4:44 PM
    • 16th Mar 12, 4:44 PM
    Thanks.
    Um.. I did it and the form went through (I'm in Yorkshire).

..and I've checked my local supplier and they're only still doing the showersave and fat traps.
  • SailorSam
    • 16th Mar 12, 4:50 PM
    • 16th Mar 12, 4:50 PM
    Thanks Op, it said i've successfully applied, hope they don't realise i'm up here in Liverpool.
    Now that i'm what you could describe as an older person i've stopped eating health foods.
    I need all the preservatives i can get.

• pinkclouds
    • 16th Mar 12, 6:47 PM
    • 16th Mar 12, 6:47 PM
    Thanks, OP. Have gone through the website and ordered every freebie that looks useful!
  • paadzer
    • 16th Mar 12, 7:09 PM
    • 16th Mar 12, 7:09 PM
    Thanks but not with Anglian Water even though I live in Cambridge!
  • G_M
    I had their plumber visit. He left me a hose attachment (so you don't leave the hose running,not that you're allowed to use it anymore!) but also adapted both loos so you can do a short or long flush for number ones or twos!
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 17th Mar 12, 8:59 AM
    • 15,023 Posts
    • 95,392 Thanks
    gallygirl
    I had them out last year, free hose gun, short flush toilets and those thingies on taps so use less water. Great service, I was well chuffed, even though as a customer I've actually paid for the fact it's free .

So to all those of you out of area - stop stealing from my water company as I will be paying for it .

Off to see what water companies in Cambridge & Liverpool are offering .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Interim target: 100k by Aug 13 - met Sept 13 Next: 50k by Sept 14 - met Aug 14 Final: 0 by 1/9/15, currently 24.4k 24.3k 22.6k 19.7k 15.7k
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • iris
    Free installed Bits and Bobs

Entered our postcode and would you believe that even though we are with Anglia Water, we are not entitled to this offer
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 17th Mar 12, 12:25 PM
    • 6,748 Posts
    • 10,140 Thanks
    surfsister
    yeah me too I'm a stone's throw from Alton reservoir yet don't qualify!!!

Entered our postcode and would you believe that even though we are with Anglia Water, we are not entitled to this offer[/QUOTE]
    • sparrer
    • By sparrer 17th Mar 12, 1:01 PM
    • 7,187 Posts
    • 52,061 Thanks
    sparrer

Entered our postcode and would you believe that even though we are with Anglia Water, we are not entitled to this offer
    Originally posted by iris
    That sounds odd, I'd query that with them.

Pay it forward
  • echo
    checked for me and my mam and we're not entitled either
    sarcasm is just one more service i offer
  • amszephyr

Originally posted by iris
    I'm the same: I live in IP12 and am an Anglia Water customer, yet I received the message: "Thank you for your interest, unfortunately your property is not currently in one of the areas eligible for our Water Efficiency Survey."
    Last edited by amszephyr; 19-03-2012 at 2:07 PM.
  • juliebunny
    I'm with Thames Water (I think) and they have much the same restrictions.

I find it ridiculous that I can't wash my car with a hosepipe (not that I want to) myself, but that I can take it down the road to the hand car wash and they are allowed to do it! It's about money and business not water shortages.

And I'm not allowed to fill up my fishpond, which also has several pairs of mating frogs in it - I just have to watch their tadpoles dry up and die? I've already lost 2 fish over the weekend as the level got so low. I'm sure that last time there was an allowance to let people fill up ponds if they had living creatures in them. My local wildlife sanctuary begged me not to fill in my pond when I told them I couldn't look after it properly! Now what am I supposed to do? I'm going to be filling it up until the ban starts 4 April! The frogs are due to lay their spawn any day now. I would gladly give up having baths for the entire summer to give them my water.

I note they have a convenient exclusion in for the Olympics too. No doubt the council will be able to water all the plants that have suddenly appeared in my area (as we have an Olympic Venue). They are also putting in a new pumping station for the venue (it's water rafting or something - who cares - no tickets for locals of course!! Not that I would pay those prices seeing as we've already funded the flipping thing anyway!!)
    Last edited by juliebunny; 21-03-2012 at 1:07 PM.
    Less stuff, more life, love, laughter and cats!
    2015 = the year I finally get my house tidy any get fit and healthy!
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 21st Mar 12, 1:34 PM
    • 9,842 Posts
    • 32,720 Thanks
    sarah1972
    I'm with Thames Water (I think) and they have much the same restrictions.

I find it ridiculous that I can't wash my car with a hosepipe (not that I want to) myself, but that I can take it down the road to the hand car wash and they are allowed to do it! It's about money and business not water shortages.

And I'm not allowed to fill up my fishpond, which also has several pairs of mating frogs in it - I just have to watch their tadpoles dry up and die? I've already lost 2 fish over the weekend as the level got so low. I'm sure that last time there was an allowance to let people fill up ponds if they had living creatures in them. My local wildlife sanctuary begged me not to fill in my pond when I told them I couldn't look after it properly! Now what am I supposed to do? I'm going to be filling it up until the ban starts 4 April! The frogs are due to lay their spawn any day now. I would gladly give up having baths for the entire summer to give them my water.

I note they have a convenient exclusion in for the Olympics too. No doubt the council will be able to water all the plants that have suddenly appeared in my area (as we have an Olympic Venue). They are also putting in a new pumping station for the venue (it's water rafting or something - who cares - no tickets for locals of course!! Not that I would pay those prices seeing as we've already funded the flipping thing anyway!!)
    Originally posted by juliebunny
    You can top up your pond if it has fish in.

Filling or maintaining a domestic pond using a hosepipe

10.(1) The category of use in section 76(2)(g) of the Act does not include filling or maintaining a domestic pond in which fish or other aquatic animals are being reared or kept in captivity.

(2) In that section, domestic pond means a pond, including a swimming pond, on land that

(a)is used or enjoyed in connection with a building, or part of a building, used principally as a dwelling; and

(b)is not being used for the purposes of a business.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/2231/article/10/made

and a bit here http://www.farmgarden.org.uk/ari/news-a-events/ari-events-mainmenu-91/236-hose-pipe-ban-hits-south-and-eastern-england

and here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17111554
    I'm a Board Guide on the Freebies and Freebies (Low Spend) Board, discount codes 'n' vouchers and music moneysaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

New to MSE?http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/forum-introduction-guide?_ga=1.180583330.489173029.1402242994
  • juliebunny
    Sarah1972 - Thank you so much!!! I could kiss you!
    Am going to print out and show to my Boyfriend who keeps telling me I'm not allowed to use my hosepipe already and that the neighbours are going to report me and I'll get a massive fine!

I'm so careful with my own water usage - I'm happy to have fewers showers and no baths , don't leave the tap running when cleaning my teeth, ordered a water hippo for my cistern and even to leave the yellow to mellow. And no I'm not on a water meter! But I lovingly rear my little tads each year, cooking them up lettuce and giving them hidey areas so the goldfish don't much them, then little ramps to get out when their legs grow, and hidey places in the garden!

Ribbit! Baby Kermits you will be saved!
    Less stuff, more life, love, laughter and cats!
    2015 = the year I finally get my house tidy any get fit and healthy!
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 21st Mar 12, 3:03 PM
    • 9,842 Posts
    • 32,720 Thanks
    sarah1972
    Sarah1972 - Thank you so much!!! I could kiss you!
    Am going to print out and show to my Boyfriend who keeps telling me I'm not allowed to use my hosepipe already and that the neighbours are going to report me and I'll get a massive fine!

I'm so careful with my own water usage - I'm happy to have fewers showers and no baths , don't leave the tap running when cleaning my teeth, ordered a water hippo for my cistern and even to leave the yellow to mellow. And no I'm not on a water meter! But I lovingly rear my little tads each year, cooking them up lettuce and giving them hidey areas so the goldfish don't much them, then little ramps to get out when their legs grow, and hidey places in the garden!

Ribbit! Baby Kermits you will be saved!
    Originally posted by juliebunny
    I am the same as you, my fish and frogs are my pets

I have used my hose to fill my water butts up to the brim and I am going to put the hose on and give the whole garden a good soak the day before the ban just to give the garden a few days head start.

I also bought 2 of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000R8VAUY/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details which I have set up and they are great ! I bought the attachement and set it up attached to the water butt so at least my veg will be properly watered !
    I'm a Board Guide on the Freebies and Freebies (Low Spend) Board, discount codes 'n' vouchers and music moneysaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

New to MSE?http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/forum-introduction-guide?_ga=1.180583330.489173029.1402242994
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,709Posts Today

7,610Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks to @CBBC_Hacker for sending us our own Hacker, baby MSE is smitten. Altight cocker. http://t.co/mdVVz56YHD

• RT @MoneySavingExp: Hi folks - the site will be down from 10pm tonight until 8am tomorrow while we re-charge the batteries with some behind?

• Uk dominating world long jump.Who'd have thought it. Kathy Cook's British 200m record about to go I think. #Beijing2015

• Follow Martin