Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Katykat
    • By Katykat 10th Mar 12, 3:42 PM
    • 1,483Posts
    • 543Thanks
    Katykat
    Glucosamine
    • 10th Mar 12, 3:42 PM
    Glucosamine 10th Mar 12 at 3:42 PM
    My GP put me on this quite a while ago to help witharthritis because I didn't want the side effects of conventional drugs. However, in their wisdom, NICE decided to stop prescribing it, so it was stopped. My joint problems are worse now so I've decided to fund myself. Not got much money though, so I'mm looking for good sources of affordable arthritis relief remedies. Ideas anyone?
    A SMILE COSTS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
Page 1
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 10th Mar 12, 3:49 PM
    • 6,876 Posts
    • 11,491 Thanks
    dori2o
    • 10th Mar 12, 3:49 PM
    • 10th Mar 12, 3:49 PM
    You can get a glucosamine gel from Home Bargains for 1.99 a tube. Failing that it's actually not that expensive if you shop around for it. The cheapest place I found it in capsule/tablet form when I was taking it was Body Shop. Though again I believe they do it in Home Bargains for no more than a couple of quid.

Have PM'd you as they frown upon medications being named on the forum.
    • rogerblack
    • By rogerblack 10th Mar 12, 3:51 PM
    • 9,287 Posts
    • 9,443 Thanks
    rogerblack
    • 10th Mar 12, 3:51 PM
    • 10th Mar 12, 3:51 PM
    My GP put me on this quite a while ago to help witharthritis because I didn't want the side effects of conventional drugs. However, in their wisdom, NICE decided to stop prescribing it, so it was stopped. My joint problems are worse now so I've decided to fund myself. Not got much money though, so I'mm looking for good sources of affordable arthritis relief remedies. Ideas anyone?
    Originally posted by Katykat
    All peer reviewed trials I'm aware of - I looked at this 3 years ago for my mom - showed glucosamine had limited, if not no effect.

Have you tried conventional drugs? Side-effects vary with the person, some do not suffer.
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 10th Mar 12, 4:08 PM
    • 6,876 Posts
    • 11,491 Thanks
    dori2o
    • 10th Mar 12, 4:08 PM
    • 10th Mar 12, 4:08 PM
    All peer reviewed trials I'm aware of - I looked at this 3 years ago for my mom - showed glucosamine had limited, if not no effect.

Have you tried conventional drugs? Side-effects vary with the person, some do not suffer.
    Originally posted by rogerblack
    Even if it is only a placebo effect and the Glucosamine doesn't actually work. If one individual feels some sort of relief from that one medication, surely it is best for them to keep taking it?

OP have you ever tried Glucosamine and Chondroitin. I found this better than Glucosamine on it's own during the time I was able to feel some kind of relief from it.
    • my_old_mans_a_dustman
    • By my_old_mans_a_dustman 10th Mar 12, 4:12 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 4,899 Thanks
    my_old_mans_a_dustman
    • 10th Mar 12, 4:12 PM
    • 10th Mar 12, 4:12 PM
    I buy mine from here, it's free delivery too and don't forget 15% cashback from Quidco http://www.simplysupplements.net/product/348/glucosamine-sulphate-2kcl-1500mg/
    “Truly Great Madness Cannot Be Achieved Without Significant Intelligence.”
    • rogerblack
    • By rogerblack 10th Mar 12, 5:54 PM
    • 9,287 Posts
    • 9,443 Thanks
    rogerblack
    • 10th Mar 12, 5:54 PM
    • 10th Mar 12, 5:54 PM
    Even if it is only a placebo effect and the Glucosamine doesn't actually work. If one individual feels some sort of relief from that one medication, surely it is best for them to keep taking it?
    Originally posted by dori2o
    That's up to them.
    Is it reasonable for us to pay for it is another question.

There needs to be some limit on drugs available on the NHS - and clinical effectiveness would seem a reasonable measure. If NICE made the right decision in this case is arguable, but the trials are pretty mixed.

Addressing least costly.
    http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharmaceuticals-Glucosamine-Sulphate-1500mg-6-Months-Supply-180-Tablets-_1139810/ - this is 18 months for 60 quid. - 80p/week.

There are 180 tablet packs available from around 10 quid (1500mg) on ebay, but I would be very, very wary of this and similar sources that are not high-street names.

Fake medicines are _common_.
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 10th Mar 12, 6:08 PM
    • 6,876 Posts
    • 11,491 Thanks
    dori2o
    • 10th Mar 12, 6:08 PM
    • 10th Mar 12, 6:08 PM
    That's up to them.

There needs to be some limit on drugs available on the NHS - and clinical effectiveness would seem a reasonable measure. If NICE made the right decision in this case is arguable, but the trials are pretty mixed.

Addressing least costly.
    http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharmaceuticals-Glucosamine-Sulphate-1500mg-6-Months-Supply-180-Tablets-_1139810/ - this is 18 months for 60 quid. - 80p/week.

There are 180 tablet packs available from around 10 quid (1500mg) on ebay, but I would be very, very wary of this and similar sources that are not high-street names.

I completely disagree.

If a drug is available and it improves the conditions an individual is sufferring from, then it should be made available via the NHS.
  • Soapn
    • 10th Mar 12, 6:38 PM
    • 10th Mar 12, 6:38 PM
    The NHS hasn't got an unlimited pot of money, neither has the Benefit pot. Hard decisions have to be made.
  • ab.da54
    • 11th Mar 12, 9:09 AM
    • 11th Mar 12, 9:09 AM
    Agree with this.

If the person using the product feels some sort of relief, it is better for them to continue using the product, irrespective of whether or not trials have demonstrated limited value.
  • Racheldevon
    We order ours through Healthspan, and it appears to help my mum's arthritis: http://www.healthspan.co.uk/glucosamine-supplements/
  • ab.da54
    That's up to them.

Addressing least costly.

There is a limited amount of money in the pot so would agree that there needs to be a restriction on what's available and that restriction needs to take in account of effectiveness.

I too, would caution buying medication on the internet as tests have shown some to include products such as rat poisons, from memory, so not a good idea to go down that route, unless it is from a reliable source.
  • ab.da54
    I completely disagree.

If a drug is available and it improves the conditions an individual is sufferring from, then it should be made available via the NHS.
    Unfortunately, it does come down to costs.

If the NHS funds a drug which only helps a minority, there is a risk they cannot afford a drug which helps the majority.

In an ideal world, the NHS would provide all drugs which improve one's life, but we don't live in an ideal world and the money has to be channeled into helping the majority.
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 11th Mar 12, 9:24 AM
    • 6,876 Posts
    • 11,491 Thanks
    dori2o
    Unfortunately, it does come down to costs.

If the NHS funds a drug which only helps a minority, there is a risk they cannot afford a drug which helps the majority.

In an ideal world, the NHS would provide all drugs which improve one's life, but we don't live in an ideal world and the money has to be channeled into helping the majority.
    Originally posted by ab.da54
    In an ideal world the previous Tory government wouldn't have sold off the NHS's ability to research and develop drugs and therefore wouldn't now be at the mercy of unscrupulous private companies looking to make maximum profit on any new breakthrough drug.

It's a shame the oath that Dr's take isn't forced upon those scientists who research and develeop new drugs. Maybe then these people would have more thought for the people who's lives could be inproved by these drugs rather than the £££££££ they can get by producing it.

The NHS should be at the forefront of research and development, it could then make more money for itself by producing and selling their drugs to the rest of the world.
  • ab.da54
    In an ideal world the previous Tory government wouldn't have sold off the NHS's ability to research and develop drugs and therefore wouldn't now be at the mercy of unscrupulous private companies looking to make maximum profit on any new breakthrough drug.

It's a shame the oath that Dr's take isn't forced upon those scientists who research and develeop new drugs. Maybe then these people would have more thought for the people who's lives could be inproved by these drugs rather than the £££££££ they can get by producing it.

The NHS should be at the forefront of research and development, it could then make more money for itself by producing and selling their drugs to the rest of the world.
    Perhaps, if prescriptions were not free in some areas of the UK, there would be more money to fund other things - who knows? Personally, I think it is time to move beyond laying blame on whose fault it was / is and look at what we have now, which is a limited pot of money. Added to that, the blame game doesn't help the OP.

We are not living in an ideal world and restrictions have to be put in place otherwise cuts will need to take place elsewhere. It's unfortunate that the OP can no longer get something on prescription that helps with their pain. Hopefully, they can source a cheap supplier [baring in mind the dangers of buying drugs online].
  • absolutebounder
    Some cases of arthritis are an allergic reaction to plants in the tomato family. try looking up all the plants in the family and completely avoiding for a few days.
  • Lady_strange
    Rose hip, and cherries can also help with arthritis. Holland and barret sell the glucosamine, as do boots. It is best with any of these medications to keep on buying them from the same place. Also omega 3 is a good supplement to take aswell.

My partner has osteoarthritis, and the above supplements do make a marked improvement in him, but saddly it is not always possible to get them due to money, but when we have the money we try and bulk buy.
  • bobthedambuilder
    You can get Glucosamine (1500mg) with MSM (1500mg) tablets in containers of 375 from Costco for about £15. That's about 40p per week. Works great for my stiff knees.
    A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove you don't need it.
  • jellytastic
    I was told about an anti imflammatory diet..you would need to google it..and it works for me, basically I cut out potatoes, tomatoes and aubergines and some other stuff..you would be amazed at the difference x
    • rogerblack
    • By rogerblack 15th Mar 12, 10:57 PM
    • 9,287 Posts
    • 9,443 Thanks
    rogerblack
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01d13yf/Inside_Health_13_03_2012/ - last quarter of the program deals with glucosamine and chondroitin.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 16th Mar 12, 9:22 PM
    • 6,481 Posts
    • 8,394 Thanks
    KxMx
    Mum also takes Glucosamine and chondroitin for wear and tear (not arthritis) in her knee, it was the GP who put her on to it. After a few months the mobility was much better and the aches went away. If they come back at any time she just takes it for a week it or two and it's soon sorted.

Shop around with the reputable websites/shops, keep an eye out for deals and voucher codes and buy huge stocks when offers are on!
    Last edited by KxMx; 16-03-2012 at 9:25 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

70Posts Today

2,260Users online

Martin's Twitter