Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Budgeting & Bank Accounts > Anyone have photos of their Metro Bank debit card... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Anyone have photos of their Metro Bank debit card?
Closed Thread
Views: 4,602
# 1
Jew
Old 09-03-2012, 12:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Anyone have photos of their Metro Bank debit card?

Curious to see what it looks like in real life.

Would go for the N&P if this one's ugly.
# 2
Lith
Old 09-03-2012, 1:00 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

isn't mine but came across it on this forum.
• HSBC (Main A/C)
• Halifax Back up A/C
• Lloyds (Spending) A/C
• RBS Back up A/C
• Barclays Old A/C
• Nationwide Old A/C
The Following User Says Thank You to Lith For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Jew
Old 09-03-2012, 1:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Doesn't look too shabby (but not great either)
# 4
benjus
Old 09-03-2012, 1:16 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I have one and I think it looks horrible, to be perfectly honest. Like they decided not to bother with silly things like graphic designers. It also seems a bit less robust than my other cards, as it's looking a bit worn after 18 months (maybe because they print them in branch). I still like having it though.
Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
The Following User Says Thank You to benjus For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Jew
Old 09-03-2012, 1:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjus View Post
I have one and I think it looks horrible, to be perfectly honest. Like they decided not to bother with silly things like graphic designers. It also seems a bit less robust than my other cards, as it's looking a bit worn after 18 months (maybe because they print them in branch). I still like having it though.
NatWest's cards are also terrible, so, you know — not much of a change for me
# 6
Crixus00
Old 09-03-2012, 3:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

That is one tacky looking card. Reminds me of the old toy cards you got with the play tills from argos etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crixus00 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
talana
Old 09-03-2012, 3:13 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Anyone have photos of their Metro Bank debit card?
FFS, surely there are more important issues to consider with banks than what the damn debit card looks like??!!
Really, who the hell cares......
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to talana For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Crixus00
Old 09-03-2012, 3:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by talana View Post
FFS, surely there are more important issues to consider with banks than what the damn debit card looks like??!!

To be fair, a good looking debit card is a must for any wallet

I don't have a £200 wallet for a cheap looking piece of rubbish in there! Call me vain or whatever, i will agree haha
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Crixus00 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Jew
Old 09-03-2012, 3:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by talana View Post
If you're busy considering important issues - why comment on this 'unimportant' issue?

Impressions matter, and if you take out a bank card that looks like crap - you'll also look like crap in front of your clients, investors, employees, employer, etc.

But more importantly, I believe in good design.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Crixus00
Old 09-03-2012, 3:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jew View Post
If you're busy considering important issues - why comment on this 'unimportant' issue?

Impressions matter, and if you take out a bank card that looks like crap - you'll also look like crap in front of your clients, investors, employees, employer, etc.

Jew knows the score with cards, first impressions matter
The Following User Says Thank You to Crixus00 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
pvt
Old 11-03-2012, 7:10 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crixus00 View Post
first impressions matter
Never been in a situation were my credit card or debit card was declined by a retailer because of how it looked

And what if you're transacting by telephone - do you guys normally find the retailer/airline/hotel will take your word for how snazzy your card looks, or have you been asked to fax them a copy so their aesthetic standards department can vet it propoerly?

Only thing on any of my cards that's ever resulted in it being declined is the words "American Express".........
Optimists see a glass half full
Pessimists see a glass half empty
Engineers just see a glass twice the size it needed to be
# 12
MoneySaverLog
Old 11-03-2012, 7:15 PM

Shocking so there is a market for these black premier cards then to show off. Gosh my nice green lloyds tsb debit card works just as well and it's free!!!!

The marketing experts must have hit a real niche here to get money out of people.
# 13
Stompa
Old 11-03-2012, 7:24 PM

Quote:
You are joking, aren't you?
Stompa
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stompa For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Lith
Old 11-03-2012, 7:39 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stompa View Post
You are joking, aren't you?
lol

Quote:

oh man this is GOLD, who do you think you are? a millionaire or someone with flash ? maybe you need to contact your bank and request a diamond edge cut debit card with glass corners and gold numbers embossed on it.

(you believe in good design... fair enough but don't be a fuss pot) a cards a card at the end of the day.

ok? post a pic for us when you get it.
• HSBC (Main A/C)
• Halifax Back up A/C
• Lloyds (Spending) A/C
• RBS Back up A/C
• Barclays Old A/C
• Nationwide Old A/C
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lith For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
olly300
Old 11-03-2012, 8:01 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

The advantage of the colours of the Metro bank card means it's easier for me to find it in my purse.

All my other cards are silver or a very similar shade of blue.
I'm not cynical I'm realistic

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
# 16
billbennett
Old 11-03-2012, 11:43 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

To throw my 2p into the ring, IMO you can judge people based on the card they pull out of their wallet:

Halifax Electron - my credit is awful, the staff in cash converters know me by name
Lloyds TSB Premier (Black) - i'm gullible and got screwed over in an "account review"
Metro Bank - i'm up for trying new things but don't ask much
First Direct - i want the world on a stick but think of myself as down to earth
Natwest - i banked with them, my dad banked with them, his dad banked with them...
anything coloured gold - i'm a douchebag
Gold Debenhams storecard - i'm a (probably female) douchebag who has nothing better to do than spend my husband's paychecks on gaudy junk (except when i'm buying more gaudy junk on bid tv) and i like having my ego massaged by being called a "valued customer" every 3 seconds
Cater Allen debit card - i'm too posh to bank with Santander, but, oh wait. crap.
any prepaid card - bread/cashplus etc - even Halifax won't give me an Electron card
American Express charge card - i'm a stupid masochist. i like paying £100+ a year for a card, but don't know why i do it.
Vanquis - i did something stupid before but i'm trying to make up for it now.
Argos store card - i'm doing something stupid now, which i'll be paying for later - probably with my kidneys.
Barclaycard with "Founder Member" under the name - i used to be with Egg/Marbles/MSDW and life was peachy, now BC have taken over the account and while i smile on the outside, the fact has filled me with rage on the inside. If you refer to me as a "barclaycard customer" i will rip your arms off.
One Account debit card - i own a lava lamp. and stripey slippers. and i point at people, walk away from them, and shout "let's do lunch!" over my shoulder.
ThinkBanking card - every day i'm deluding myself into thinking i have a real bank account, and i hit myself over the head with a brick to try and erase the part of my memory that says i'm actually stumping up £14.50 a month for something the majority of the population is getting for free. i probably did something really bad in a previous life.
Coutts card - i own 9 houses. and a boat. with a house in it. and i'm still really tight.
Amex Blue Sky - i'm superficial. i applied for it because it's seethrough, and can't bear to let it go.
Capital One card with the photo of the "cute pig" or "cute puppy" - i'm a jeremy kyle reject. i'm probably in my mid-40s, wearing a pink velour tracksuit.
any card with a custom picture of one's kids - my kids are better than your kids. look at them. LOOK AT THEM!!! i also clean my kitchen worktops 7 times a day, and subscribe to good housekeeping. not because i read it, just because i want you to see it on the coffee table.

In "Monopoly", what makes the "Super Tax" so super?
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to billbennett For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
heloid
Old 11-03-2012, 11:46 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

MetroBank credit card is silver and looks similar to the HSBC debit card. It's not bad, shame the debit card isn't similar.
# 18
piglet39
Old 12-03-2012, 6:48 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbennett View Post

Halifax Electron - my credit is awful, the staff in cash converters know me by name
Lloyds TSB Premier (Black) - i'm gullible and got screwed over in an "account review"
Metro Bank - i'm up for trying new things but don't ask much
First Direct - i want the world on a stick but think of myself as down to earth
Natwest - i banked with them, my dad banked with them, his dad banked with them...
anything coloured gold - i'm a douchebag
Gold Debenhams storecard - i'm a (probably female) douchebag who has nothing better to do than spend my husband's paychecks on gaudy junk (except when i'm buying more gaudy junk on bid tv) and i like having my ego massaged by being called a "valued customer" every 3 seconds
Cater Allen debit card - i'm too posh to bank with Santander, but, oh wait. crap.
any prepaid card - bread/cashplus etc - even Halifax won't give me an Electron card
American Express charge card - i'm a stupid masochist. i like paying £100+ a year for a card, but don't know why i do it.
Vanquis - i did something stupid before but i'm trying to make up for it now.
Argos store card - i'm doing something stupid now, which i'll be paying for later - probably with my kidneys.
Barclaycard with "Founder Member" under the name - i used to be with Egg/Marbles/MSDW and life was peachy, now BC have taken over the account and while i smile on the outside, the fact has filled me with rage on the inside. If you refer to me as a "barclaycard customer" i will rip your arms off.
One Account debit card - i own a lava lamp. and stripey slippers. and i point at people, walk away from them, and shout "let's do lunch!" over my shoulder.
ThinkBanking card - every day i'm deluding myself into thinking i have a real bank account, and i hit myself over the head with a brick to try and erase the part of my memory that says i'm actually stumping up £14.50 a month for something the majority of the population is getting for free. i probably did something really bad in a previous life.
Coutts card - i own 9 houses. and a boat. with a house in it. and i'm still really tight.
Amex Blue Sky - i'm superficial. i applied for it because it's seethrough, and can't bear to let it go.
Capital One card with the photo of the "cute pig" or "cute puppy" - i'm a jeremy kyle reject. i'm probably in my mid-40s, wearing a pink velour tracksuit.
any card with a custom picture of one's kids - my kids are better than your kids. look at them. LOOK AT THEM!!! i also clean my kitchen worktops 7 times a day, and subscribe to good housekeeping. not because i read it, just because i want you to see it on the coffee table.

Made my Monday start with a smile. I defy anyone not to agree a teensy bit!
LBM Nov 07
Challenges: A Payment A Day Challenge 2012 Joined 08.03.12
PADding Total:March £57.65 April £10.10
DFWNerd - 1041-Proud to be dealing with my debts!
Pesky CC March 2012 £2916.73
Debt@March 2012 (inc OD) £5615 DFD self imposed target Feb 2014
The Following User Says Thank You to piglet39 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
benjus
Old 12-03-2012, 9:55 AM

I don't think I'm a card snob and I'm quite happy with all my other cards, none of which I pay a fee for. But the Metro Bank card just looks amateur.
Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
# 20
billbennett
Old 12-03-2012, 1:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lith View Post

isn't mine but came across it on this forum.
Does anyone think the name hidden looks a bit like Mr A Conman?
In "Monopoly", what makes the "Super Tax" so super?
Closed Thread