Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • mildred1978
    • 23rd Feb 12, 9:05 AM
    • 23rd Feb 12, 9:05 AM
    Hi,

We are house hunting and would love a wood burning stove. The houses we like are more modern and do not have chimneys. Is it possible to have a wood burning stove without a chimney? And if so how?

Thanks,

Jo
    Originally posted by jojo2910
    You have to have some sort of chimney to take the smoke to the top of the roof level. With no built in chimney that means one of these. It makes your house look like a Chinese takeaway.

Some areas of the uk have restrictions on smoke (smoke free zones) so probably worth checking you aren't in one of those!
    Science adjusts its views based on what's observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation, so that belief can be preserved.
    Tim Minchin
    • ed110220
    • By ed110220 23rd Feb 12, 9:37 AM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    ed110220
    • 23rd Feb 12, 9:37 AM
    • 23rd Feb 12, 9:37 AM
    You have to have some sort of chimney to take the smoke to the top of the roof level. With no built in chimney that means one of these. It makes your house look like a Chinese takeaway.

Some areas of the uk have restrictions on smoke (smoke free zones) so probably worth checking you aren't in one of those!
    Originally posted by mildred1978

I think the house pictured above only has such a tall flue in order to take it above the level of the upper storey - if it was on the highest roof it could be normal height.

You don't need a traditional masonry chimney in order to have a wood burner, you can just have a steel flue like that. My house has no masonry at all but it does have a cast iron flue, boxed in with dry wall work, originally for a coal stove that ran an early central heating system.
  • jojo2910
    • 23rd Feb 12, 10:24 AM
    • 23rd Feb 12, 10:24 AM
    Thanks both. Do you know how much it would cost to install a flue and who do you approach to put one in? We've seen a stove we like at a company that only sells them, doesn't install them and would like to know who to approach to install.
  • ormus
    • 23rd Feb 12, 10:30 AM
    • 23rd Feb 12, 10:30 AM
    http://www.woodstovefitters.co.uk/communities/4/004/007/870/154/images/4549352735.jpg

on an outside wall, it would probably look like this one.
    internally the flue be boxed in and exit near the roof apex. so a small pipe/cowl only required.
    Get some gorm.
  • ormus
    • 23rd Feb 12, 10:32 AM
    • 23rd Feb 12, 10:32 AM

another example.
    Get some gorm.
  • bobthedambuilder
    • 23rd Feb 12, 10:54 AM
    • 23rd Feb 12, 10:54 AM
    I have a flue that goes up inside the house, through a bedroom (in a stainless steel twin-walled sleeve), and out through the roof. I also get the benefit of heat in the bedroom as the flue gets warm (but not too hot to touch). It was installed while I was renovating the house.
    A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove you don't need it.
    • Canucklehead
    • By Canucklehead 23rd Feb 12, 12:14 PM
    • 6,264 Posts
    • 3,371 Thanks
    Canucklehead
    • 23rd Feb 12, 12:14 PM
    • 23rd Feb 12, 12:14 PM
    Thanks both. Do you know how much it would cost to install a flue and who do you approach to put one in? We've seen a stove we like at a company that only sells them, doesn't install them and would like to know who to approach to install.
    Originally posted by jojo2910
    Hi: find yourself a HETAS installer here...he/she will be able to advise after conducting a site survey. This is a useful site.

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • jojo2910
    • 23rd Feb 12, 1:03 PM
    • 23rd Feb 12, 1:03 PM
    Much appreciated all, now we know it can be done
    • muckybutt
    • By muckybutt 23rd Feb 12, 9:21 PM
    • 3,622 Posts
    • 3,419 Thanks
    muckybutt
    You can buy many stoves that can be used in smoke free zones on make being Clearview....expensive but the mutts nuts as far as stoves go.

If you want any more advice pm me and i'll answer any questions you have ( i'm a chimney sweep ) theres a lot of things you have to do when you get a stove and its not always plain sailing !

Alternatively post a new thread on the solid fuel forum and ask away.
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 4th Mar 12, 9:39 PM
    • 4,311 Posts
    • 3,078 Thanks
    prosaver
    I have a flue that goes up inside the house, through a bedroom (in a stainless steel twin-walled sleeve), and out through the roof. I also get the benefit of heat in the bedroom as the flue gets warm (but not too hot to touch). It was installed while I was renovating the house.
    Originally posted by bobthedambuilder
    how much did it all cost to set up?
    Referendum,Lisbon Treaty. shamelessly broken by labour and we never had the chance to vote on probably the most important change in Britain’s sovereignty in hundreds of years. Then Brown slunk off to sign the Treaty alone, away from the cameras and other European leaders, as if embarrassed by this betrayal of the people he’s paid to represent.
  • bobthedambuilder
    how much did it all cost to set up?
    Originally posted by prosaver
    I have to say that the twin-walled SS flue was horribly expensive - over £100 per metre material only. There's probably about 6 metres of flue, so by the time you allow for fitting etc, it would have been well over £1000 for the flue. (It was part of a lump sum for a total house renovation, so I can't be more precise than that).

This is what it looked like during installation. The flue pipe comes up through the bedroom floor from the stove underneath, and out through the roof. As I said, we get the benefit in the bedroom whenever the stove is on, as the pipe warms up (but not too hot to touch).
    A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove you don't need it.
    • sunshinetours
    • By sunshinetours 5th Mar 12, 11:00 AM
    • 2,769 Posts
    • 1,813 Thanks
    sunshinetours
    As above the twin wall SS flue pipe is the expensive bit. Its something we need to have done if we waht a "real fire" but the downsides are initial cost and looks (they aren't attractive in any shape or form) and real fires are not cheaper to run unless you have a good supply of firewood.
    Think we will end up with a gas stove that works via a balanced flue. Cheaper, less messy, and possibly no more cost to run than a real fire
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 5th Mar 12, 1:16 PM
    • 14,430 Posts
    • 12,517 Thanks
    maninthestreet

another example.
    Originally posted by ormus
    It's an eyesore!
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • muckybutt
    • By muckybutt 5th Mar 12, 2:38 PM
    • 3,622 Posts
    • 3,419 Thanks
    muckybutt
    It's an eyesore!
    Originally posted by maninthestreet
    Really constructive comment
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
    • sunshinetours
    • By sunshinetours 6th Mar 12, 9:27 AM
    • 2,769 Posts
    • 1,813 Thanks
    sunshinetours
    Maybe - but its true - that is an ugly installation and that can be the problem with external flues on some houses
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 6th Mar 12, 12:37 PM
    • 4,311 Posts
    • 3,078 Thanks
    prosaver
    I have to say that the twin-walled SS flue was horribly expensive - over £100 per metre material only. There's probably about 6 metres of flue, so by the time you allow for fitting etc, it would have been well over £1000 for the flue. (It was part of a lump sum for a total house renovation, so I can't be more precise than that).

This is what it looked like during installation. The flue pipe comes up through the bedroom floor from the stove underneath, and out through the roof. As I said, we get the benefit in the bedroom whenever the stove is on, as the pipe warms up (but not too hot to touch).
    Originally posted by bobthedambuilder
    thanks mate,
    the things is, we are thinking of getting a new boiler,
    The choice
    a, back boiler with fire and heats the central heating up(open up old fire place)
    b, wood burning stove,conected to cental heating
    c combi boiler so ive got a quote for a combi fitted 1400
    d nothing-wait till it packs in ( the boiler is from the 70s but still going strong)
    need to do some research....
    anyone got any ideas?
    Referendum,Lisbon Treaty. shamelessly broken by labour and we never had the chance to vote on probably the most important change in Britain’s sovereignty in hundreds of years. Then Brown slunk off to sign the Treaty alone, away from the cameras and other European leaders, as if embarrassed by this betrayal of the people he’s paid to represent.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,551Posts Today

4,418Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Right folks im signing off for the weekend (well until my Sunday road show in Leeds). Have a good one!

• Final results of my tory leadership candidates twitter poll. Huge win for Theresa May, Andrea Leadsom distant 2nd https://t.co/jJxozPYFhi

• Ta for the regular stream of similar tweets. But, again, Id rather wire my nipples to electrodes & not in a good way https://t.co/npo6dvsLjG

• Follow Martin