How do you stay positive?

Options
raindrops_2
raindrops_2 Posts: 12 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 28 February 2012 at 5:11PM in Debt-free wannabe
I'm slowly loosing the will to live with my debts and as of today i still have £5886.88 left to pay until i'm debt free. I did have my LBM back in January 2011 and have been chipping away at the debts. I work full time and come home with just over £1100 a month and although i'm greatful for my job i really wish i could earn a little more as i would be able to clear my debts quicker.

I just turned 30 four days ago and i still live at home. I can't afford to move out but at the same time i can clear all my debts and start saving for my own place. It's not cool at all and i wanted to go abroad for my 30th birthday but couldn't afford it. However i am hoping to to be debt free by mid 2013.

Almost everyday i find myself looking at my finance and since the last few weeks i have budget my outgoings for each month up until October 2012. I'm always checking my account online checking my outgoings. I've also set up standing orders for my other bank accounts to save money for different needs like one for my car tax/MOT/insurance, savings for moving out, holiday and general savings. I also have money tins where i save for loose change like all the pennies go together and one for 1 and 2 pound coins etc. I also use Quidco for making money back.

So my question for those that are in debt but don't earn a good monthly salary to clear their debts within 6-9 months how do you stay positive?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• immoral_angeluk
    Options
    How do I stay positive?
    By regularly looking back at how far I've come and the progress I've made. Also my remembering WHY I'm doing it and keeping focused on my goals.
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    Options
    I claim no title to these ideas, but I do know that the following has kept people going through the tough times.

Make a chart with debt broken down into chunks. Colour in a square each time a chunk is paid back.

Find the picture of your dream whatever - car, house, holiday destination, and put it in your purse, or on your fridge. Then when you are down you just look at the picture to remind yourself why you are grinding down the debt.

Other suggestions would be to have a look at the up your income thread in order to pay the debt back quicker. Some basic suggestions off there would be doing surveys on the web. Yes they can be tedious but the money earned does add up over time.

good luck
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • antonic
    antonic Posts: 1,977 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    By knowing that now, after 74 months of repayments , I only have 10 to go.

When I still had years to go, I used to think "this time next year I am 12 months closer to finishing" and last December I got to the final 12 months to go.

Dont worry, you can do it !.
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi
    I have to agree with the others, for me it was about looking forward and not back. Also having a goal helped, I had months where I was able to sqeeze a few extra pennies out of the budget and I told myself that would bring my debt free date forward quicker.
    You can get there, I did and I was one of the worlds worst fritterer (still can have days like that now)
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • breakfreeofdebt
    Options
    I struggle everyday to stay positive with my debt but I'm slowly learning by my mistakes and hoping going with my budget I have done I will be debt free in a year
  • ada1988
    ada1988 Posts: 360 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    in my opinion.it is necessary to be positive.while you feel negative you can think of your families who love you can you loved.
  • mrsb83_2
    Options
    I had a good income but high debts, so it will have taken me 2 years to get to my DFD. I've actually found that I've become more motivated as time has gone on.

I've been able to increase by debt repayments without a salary increase thanks to the £10 a day board and cutting spending generally. But I'm now happier than I was when I was spending more because I'm in control, not afraid to check my bank balance and I know exactly how long it's going to take me to become DF.

I've found that having small achievable goals is important, and I've found calculating my % paid off every day gives me a little boost every morning. You'll get there! What's the alternative?
    Total Debt Sept 2010 - £24,132.38 / Current - £0.00/ 100% paid

DFD - [STRIKE]Aug 2014[/STRIKE] 24th Aug 2012

£10 a day // Jun - £64/£300 / Jul - £133/£310 / Aug - £281/£310
  • downsizer3
    Options
    Its a good question.
    I started tackling my debts in Sept 2011 and will be debt free Dec 2012. I'm also trying to bin the mortgage - that'll take longer but aiming for 2016 currently ( if i really go for it).
    My salary is not bad ( for now) but my childcare costs are hideous - its the right childcare so thats how it must be - but the bottom line is I can only pay what I do so its a long haul (to me).
    I have really fed up days too - no holidays, nothing for myself etc, but I have spreadsheets galore! I have one sheet with my debts side by side and I score each month off. Payday is great as I get to take the red pen out as I score another month off. I look at what I've achieved so far to keep me going. When its really bad I look at all the interest I'd be paying etc.
    I also pour over other peoples DFdiaries, BR issues etc - scare myself with that occasionally to refocus!!
    I do believe in one night out every month or two to keep my sanity - otherwise its to friends houses or them to me. Sad, but it must be done till the debt is clear.
    A diary on here is a good one - people are great at boosting you along.
    You're doing great - and at 30 - pretty responsible too - keep it up and one day - that home of your own will be yours!
    May 2018 - £159k + £3.5K CC - let the countdown begin! :)
    March 2019 - CC gone and bye bye M2 on 31st! £140k to go.:j
  • quantic
    quantic Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    Options
    It might be depressing thinking that you are still at home at 30, but feel positive about the fact that your action now will stop you still being there when your 40.
  • Learning2Budget
    Options
    We had our lbm in 2008. Found out yesterday we now have 5 years and 4 months left on our debt. There are days when i feel like total c**p but if i focused on them i would be totally depressed. When either myself or dh is having a down day we discuss the future. So holidays or stuff we want to do to the house. I should be debt free the month before my birthday at this rate. So my 40th will be a big blow out before we start saving.
    You've not got long left so look to the future and make plans.
    L2B.x
    LBM 2008 [STRIKE]£45,091.23[/STRIKE] eek: now £7889:T Debt free date 18/07/2018 :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure