Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > Dyson...funny noise and burning smell!! (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Dyson...funny noise and burning smell!!
Views: 15,710
# 1
first78
Old 21-02-2012, 3:36 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Dyson...funny noise and burning smell!!

As I was using my Dyson (07 origin) the other day it suddenly started making a very strange noise...very strained sounding and then there was a strong electrical burning smell.

I've had a look at it and can't see any blockage or evidence that I've sucked up something I shouldn't and am now wondering what to do to fix the problem. I don't mind taking it to get it repaired but don't want to end up paying a firtune...if it's cheaper to look at buying a new one I'd rather do that.

Can anyone offer any advice please!!
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
macman
Old 21-02-2012, 4:36 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Model? Sounds like motor burning out?
Have you cleaned the filters regularly?
No free lunch, and no free laptop
# 3
Leif
Old 21-02-2012, 5:56 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I have a Dyson upright, DC33 I think, and it has all manner of bits that you can pull off to check for blockages. I would spend some time pulling at the various parts, and looking for locking levers. Quite often pushing a small plastic lever releases a part. If the air flow is blocked, then yes you will get overheating of the motor and a funny smell. One approach is to remove the part closest to the motor, and if the motor then runs okay, the blockage must be downstream. Perhaps there is an online manual that explains how it comes apart?
The Following User Says Thank You to Leif For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
robjcooper
Old 21-02-2012, 6:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi there.
Try this link to dyson's help page for your model.

http://support.dyson.co.uk/support/dc07/dc07-origin

One thing to remember is Dyson do a fixed price vacuum service for 73. My sister-inlaw has a DC04 which stopped working. The fault was a burnt out motor, but the engineer replaced that and everything else on it which was broken (and a couple of other things which were 'worn') and it ended up as good as new!
The Following User Says Thank You to robjcooper For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
daveyjp
Old 21-02-2012, 6:23 PM

Possibly a jammed brush bar. This will cause it to strain and the rubber belt will start to melt.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
The Following User Says Thank You to daveyjp For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
panchenlama
Old 21-02-2012, 7:07 PM
MoneySaving Convert

this will be the drive belt for the brush bar. it comes off or jams and then melts with the spinning drive shaft rubbing on it. happens quite often on mine. you can get replacement belts from ebay etc.

they are pretty hard to put on though so have a screwdriver to hand to try to pull it on...
As is a tale, so is life: not how long it is, but how good it is, is what matters.
The Following User Says Thank You to panchenlama For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
tony6403
Old 21-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My guess is motor brushes either stuck or worn out. If so, this needs the machine to be fully taken apart. There is an excellent video on YouTube which takes you through the process.
The Following User Says Thank You to tony6403 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
loracan1
Old 22-02-2012, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchenlama View Post
this will be the drive belt for the brush bar. it comes off or jams and then melts with the spinning drive shaft rubbing on it. happens quite often on mine. you can get replacement belts from ebay etc.

they are pretty hard to put on though so have a screwdriver to hand to try to pull it on...
This is your first thing to try, cheap enough and easy enough to have a go before you start pulling the whole thing apart or spending a fortune on a service.
The Following User Says Thank You to loracan1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
first78
Old 22-02-2012, 6:09 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks for all the replies. I'll definitely check the drive belt and then if that doesn't work I'll look at the other things people have suggested.

I can't afford 73 for a service just now so that would have to be a last resort.
# 10
macman
Old 22-02-2012, 6:40 AM

Why would you pay that-go to an independent and get it looked at for much less.
# 11
jhe
Old 22-02-2012, 9:56 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

i phoned dyson helpline recently, turned out the bearings had gone, they sent me out a free brushbar, didnt realise i had a 5 year guarantee with it, you could try ringing them 0800 298 0298. i found them very helpful
# 12
greyteam1959
Old 22-02-2012, 3:16 PM

Yes I would agree their phone helpline is absolutely brilliant.
# 13
raspberrypi
Old 13-02-2014, 11:16 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Mine is a DC-14. Had this problem, noise and occasional rubber smell.

Turns out the brush bar was clogged up with dust. The brush bar assembly has a black cap on either end, and the brush itself spins on an axle between them. Turns out it wasn't spinning very well, hence the noise, causing the rubber band to slip, hence the smell.

To fix, first Make sure it's unplugged from the wall - it's easy to knock a power switch!

First remove the plastic cover that is locked in with three plastic screw-twists (twist them 90 degrees to release).

I removed the brush bar by slipping the rubber band off the motor spindle. The brush bar should now come out easily. Hold each end of the brush bar and twist the end-caps off, and the brush will slide off the axle.

Clean out the ends of the brush where the dust clogs up (I even had to chisel a chunk with a screwdriver!), perhaps put some oil down the axle, and reassemble the brush bar.

It should be spinning nice and freely between the end-caps in your hands.

Now just put the rubber back band around the brush bar, slide the end-caps back into their slots, and slide the other end of the rubber band back over the motor spindle. Replace the plastic cover and twist back the plastic screws to lock, and you're done.

Kevin
The Following User Says Thank You to raspberrypi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Wickedkitten
Old 13-02-2014, 1:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanked 2,108 Times in 811 Posts

We have a dc08 origin that did the same thing last year and it turned out the motor blew. Just bought a new one off ebay, replaced it, and it's been good as new since.

Looked on youtube and this guy

http://www.youtube.com/user/VacuumSmart/videos

has all sorts of dyson tutorials.
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.
# 15
redmalc
Old 13-02-2014, 2:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Last Saturday this happened to our DC33,just over two years old called Dyson and this morning their engineer called and fitted a new motor.
# 16
Mrs_J
Old 15-03-2014, 5:26 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmalc View Post
Last Saturday this happened to our DC33,just over two years old called Dyson and this morning their engineer called and fitted a new motor.
Did you have to register your dyson for the 5 year guarantee?
# 17
redmalc
Old 15-03-2014, 7:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Mrs J
no i just called them and requested a repair, i had the original receipt,but the girl said it was not required because the model had only been in circulation for two years,so no problems
# 18
dotdash79
Old 15-03-2014, 8:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If you have the receipt or the proof of purchase then then it's covered for 5 years, they are very good and they will also service it when repairing it.
# 19
macman
Old 15-03-2014, 8:49 PM

Thanked 14,118 Times in 11,874 Posts

What you describe does sound like the motor burning out. If it's a DC07 on the original motor then it's probably over 10 years old now. Either buy a new motor on eBay for about 20 and fit yourself, or get an independent to do it for about half of what Dyson will charge you.
All parts for the DC07 are readily available (again, source from independents, not from Dyson) and if properly maintained (which means cleaning both filters at least every 3 months) it will last another 10 years.