IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
santander 25 charge ripoff
Views: 3,767
# 1
unhappybankcharge
Old 17-02-2012, 9:19 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default santander 25 charge ripoff

Hi peeps
My mother has a basic bank account with santander ,and she uses it for paypal/ebay to sell bits and bobs in her spaire time

She owed paypal 18 fees which she normally pays from straight from her paypal account but all the money she had in there was on hold till the items she sold had ,had feedback left for them,So paypal tried to take it out of her basic santander account .

Which was empty as she only hardly uses her santander account as her debit card is not a visa debit.Today she checked her online banking to find santander had taken 25 from her account because paypal tried to take 18 even though she has a basic account with no overdraft and paypal never took a penny from her account.

My mother is recovering from a serious brain injury which happened last year and santander staff were being rude to her as she struggles to speak and think fast and would not talk to me for secruity reason (what a joke)

I would like to know can she/me file a complaint as we struggle for money as it is and this charge is unfair as she never went overdrawn and dosent even have a overdraft thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
dunstonh
Old 17-02-2012, 9:44 PM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

Quote:
Which was empty as she only hardly uses her santander account as her debit card is not a visa debit.Today she checked her online banking to find santander had taken 25 from her account because paypal tried to take 18 even though she has a basic account with no overdraft and paypal never took a penny from her account.
Paypal did attempt to take money from the account and it sounds like santander bounced it and charged 25 in accordance with their tariff.
Quote:
I would like to know can she/me file a complaint as we struggle for money as it is and this charge is unfair as she never went overdrawn and dosent even have a overdraft thanks for any help
The charge is not unfair and any attempt to reclaim on that basis will be met with failure. By all means ask them to consider. Santander do normally allow a refund on first error.
I am a Financial Adviser. Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to dunstonh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
ses6jwg
Old 17-02-2012, 10:52 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

santander now operate a "one strike" policy.

Basically, you get all charges refunded in any 1 statement period, once for the life time of that account.

a note is put on your account when the refund is made stating no further charges to be refunded.

in future if she goes overdrawn by less than 12 no charges will be incurred.
The Following User Says Thank You to ses6jwg For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
unhappybankcharge
Old 18-02-2012, 6:20 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks for the replys
She dosent have a overdraft it is a basic account ,paypal never took any money out they tried but couldnt as there was no money so they have charge 25 for nothing,the account didnt go overdrawn

I can understand the charge if the account went overdrawn but it didnt ,My mother has sent a email to santander and is going to phone back on monday aswell.

I have had this happen to my lloyds current account which aslo dosent have a overdraft from a different direct debit not paypal and i was never charged, lloyds just declined the direct debit and i paid my direct debit when i had funds available

Last edited by unhappybankcharge; 18-02-2012 at 6:25 PM.
# 5
noh
Old 18-02-2012, 9:53 PM

Lloyds charge a "returned item fee" of 10.
See page 5 of http://www.lloydstsb.com/media/lloyd...s_brochure.pdf

Santander charge 25 "Unpaid item fee" on the Basic Account.
See page 6 of http://www.santander.co.uk/csgs/Stat...ue&maxage=3600
The Following User Says Thank You to noh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
unhappybankcharge
Old 18-02-2012, 9:57 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

No money left the account there is no overdraft it is not possible for it to off

For eg ,It would be the same as me using my visa debit which has NO overdraft and trying to buy somthing but i dont have enough money so the bank declines the transaction ,We have made a complaint to santander anyway

There is no overdraft the account never went over drawn and no lloyds dosent charge for this as it has happened to me several times Mabye if i had a overdraft but i dont and niether does my mums account with santander

Last edited by unhappybankcharge; 18-02-2012 at 10:00 PM.
# 7
noh
Old 18-02-2012, 10:05 PM

It's an unpaid item fee.

If the account holder requests a payment and the bank declines that payment due to lack of funds a charge is applied.

Santanders fee on the Basic account is 25 as documented in the their fees and charges document.

Lloyds charge 10 as documented in their fees and charges schedule.

If Lloyds have not charged you in the past then the payment declined was less than 10 or you have been lucky enough to have the fee waived.

Last edited by noh; 18-02-2012 at 10:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to noh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Toe-Jam
Old 18-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unhappybankcharge View Post
No money left the account there is no overdraft it is not possible for it to off
The are charging you for NOT paying it, they are a bank after all, you wouldn't expect you to send you a bunch of flowers.

Call them up and they should refund it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toe-Jam For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
unhappybankcharge
Old 18-02-2012, 10:32 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Ok thanks
With my lloyds account when this has happened it has never been less than 30 and i have countless times tried to by things online when i didnt have enough cleared funds available and i have never been charge ,my mum or me will not be using santander again as there are much better banks like lloyds,co op,eg

Santander never told my mother about these fees ever and i have just read a sticky thread on this forum that tells me it can be claimed back i know its only 25 but its ridiculous

All i ever hear about santander is complaints
# 10
unhappybankcharge
Old 18-02-2012, 10:35 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I will go in to a local branch with my mum on monday as,she struggles on the phone and there staff were being funny about and wouldnt speak to me for secruity reason,I always to speak on the phone for her whens shes having trouble normally and no other companys are bothered,

Thanks for the advice guys
# 11
oranabana
Old 28-06-2012, 11:11 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Question UNPAID ITEM FEE - refunded..?!

So, whats the outcome of this? Just curious, as I am looking for a refund of around 81 GBP for a simliar scenario...
# 12
barmy_jimbob
Old 03-07-2012, 12:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by unhappybankcharge View Post
I will go in to a local branch with my mum on monday as,she struggles on the phone and there staff were being funny about and wouldnt speak to me for secruity reason,I always to speak on the phone for her whens shes having trouble normally and no other companys are bothered,

Thanks for the advice guys

Hi mate,

I bank with Santander and usually they are very good, they have actually refunded both times i have been charged, once when a DD came out after i had cancelled it and once when i had no money as i was stuck in Italy after missing a flight, i did explain my circumstances in the latter and they were reasonable about it, in fact they were really quite good about it.

Hope your Mam gets better and you get her money back

Cheers
Jimbob