paye can I claim tax back for tools etc

Options
I work paye as a forklift engineer and have been with my company for 3 years in that time I have purchased approx £4000 worth of various tools for work. from various places. We have to supply our own tools upto 3/4" in size anything larger then the company buys.
Am I able to claim any form of tax allowance for this? I only have recent receipts so really no proof of what I have spent (never do keep receipts idiot)

Comments

• kingmonkey
    Options
    Yes you can.
  • mattyj0
    Options
    thanks, how would I go about claiming it?
  • MXW
    MXW Posts: 563 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can claim, but as the claim is over £2,500 you will be required to complete a tax return (self assessment.)
  • ctm_2
    ctm_2 Posts: 479 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MXW wrote:
    You can claim, but as the claim is over £2,500 you will be required to complete a tax return (self assessment.)

Tools around £4k over 3 years = less than £2.5k per year, so self assessment not necessary.

What you need to do is write to your tax office and state that you want to claim relief on the tools you purchased. I wouldn't send too much info to start with, just the letter, and a breakdown of how much you are claiming for each year, backed up by a list showing what tools were purchased, and the individual cost. Then let HMRC reply and state exactly what info they require from you etc.

It is highly likely that HMRC will ask you for more info, and will possibly also write to your employer, so don't expect it to be a speedy process.
  • PaulW922
    PaulW922 Posts: 1,037 Forumite
    Options
    It is frequently worth asking HMRC for their assistance. Many people seems to think that they are asking the 'enemy' for help and that the tax man will just try and find a way of refusing you the deduction.
  • MXW
    MXW Posts: 563 Forumite
    Options
    ctm wrote:
    Tools around £4k over 3 years = less than £2.5k per year, so self assessment not necessary.

What you need to do is write to your tax office and state that you want to claim relief on the tools you purchased. I wouldn't send too much info to start with, just the letter, and a breakdown of how much you are claiming for each year, backed up by a list showing what tools were purchased, and the individual cost. Then let HMRC reply and state exactly what info they require from you etc.

It is highly likely that HMRC will ask you for more info, and will possibly also write to your employer, so don't expect it to be a speedy process.
    The tax office would not just spread the expenses over 3 years, they would give you tax relief you are claiming in the years in which you purchased the tools. (I accept the point made that if the expenses do not exceed £2,500, then it wouldn't warrant the completion of a tax return) it depends on when the expenses were incurred. As this is your first claim be prepared to provide receipts, they may be asked for in view of the amounts claimed.
  • sarahlouise210
    Options
    It is usual practise for an allowance to be made for REPLACEMENT tools...but not for the cost of original tools. I think this has to be one of the most ridiculous tax rules...are your receipts for replacement tools;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    I have had brain surgery - sorry if I am a little confused sometimes ;)
  • Fishmilk
    Options
    hi, i am also trying to claim for the tools i have purchased to do my job, i have spent roughly 6k over last 6 years and am just waiting for snap-on to sort my reciepts.
    All the tools are to do my job and very few are 'replacement' tools.
    Is it fine to say they are replacement tools or would they ask for proof they are replacements?
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It may also be the case that due to the amount of the expense involved and the nature of the tools you have purchased that HMRC will view the expense as a capital as opposed to a revenue expense and you will only be entitled to claim Capital Allowances (depreciation) on the outlay not the actual expense involved.
  • aztectatt
    Options
    if its snap on tols then they wont be replacement as you only buy the tools once, plus i spoke to the tax office and ya can get an annual allowance for tools, all they do is amendyour tax code to suit the trade your in, and people that are waiting for snap on receipts: no need to wait they are redily availible from the dealer on the laptop he uses to print the receipts, if he says he cant do it then he is just bein lazy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure