Just got a Llama

Options
I am looking after a llama for a friend, he has given me a large bag of dried food , he said its a weeks worth.

Molly (the llama) looked a bit sad this evening so I chopped up some apple and carrot for her.

What else to they like, is it only water they drink?

Comments

• GotToChange
    GotToChange Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    Options
    I know nothing about llama(s?), so am interested to see what advice you are given on here.
    Did the friend not advise you re. her lifestyle, dietary needs and usual behaviour and demeanour? Unless you know what is usual for her, you won't be able to tell if something is wrong.
    Does she normally live alone (they are pack animals)? Does she normally live out? Have you changed anything significantly for her that she may be unhappy about - other than the move, if there has been one?
    She may be missing her owner - or just her usual routine...
    If you have not been given adequate instructions and can come on here to ask, might I suggest you Google some info (I take it you are an animal-person).
  • tizerbelle
    tizerbelle Posts: 1,829 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Like many animals they may like other things to drink but do not let them. Water is perfectly fine and natural. Anything else could at best upset their digestion and at worst cause serious medical problems.

I can't believe a llama has a "sucker" look that implores you to feed the poor starving creature that has never had a solid meal in its life.

Do not get into a longest stare competition with said llama - you will lose and will end up sticky (this is why they need water) - if the ears go back, run like holy hell!

Presumably the llama is out in a paddock/field during the day - in which case the feed is just supplemental to their grazing which is probably why it doesn't seem a lot to you.
  • tod123
    tod123 Posts: 7,021 Forumite
    Options
    basically I have a bit of land with out buildings , and Molly has been living with a chap from the pub, but she has been spitting at his wife, so I was asked to look after her. She is not alone, there are other animals like goats and sheep close to her.

My wife says she has to go to a place with other Llamas , but I am interested if she could be happy with goats and sheep
  • GotToChange
    GotToChange Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    Options
    Well, I have now researched a little (as you should) and reiterate that the llama should have company. It seems that if no other llamas available - which is sad - they can live with other animals but there will need to be a period of introduction and monitoring.

The spitting is not - apparently -usual and is a sign of stress.

You are planning to have her live primarily outside aren't you? How much land do you have and is it safe/enclosed etc etc?
  • tizerbelle
    Options
    They can live as a companion animal to other livestock and even act as a guard for sheep but it is unnatural to lead solo lives and in all honesty I would suggest it needs to be rehomed to someone with llamas and experience in managing them. I would suggest some reading and possibly speaking to some experienced llama owners - try these www.llama.co.uk or www.britishllamasociety.org
  • tod123
    tod123 Posts: 7,021 Forumite
    Options
    OK, thanks , the wife said she had to go :( will look at options tom
  • tizerbelle
    Options
    tod123 wrote: »
    My wife says she has to go to a place with other Llamas

Have you not yet learned that your wife is always right :p

She is being sensible, it is not just a case of turning out in a field and that is it. They will need daily attention whatever the weather - if you think about keeping a horse/pony that is never ridden - it's the same amount of attention they will need. You can't just decide it's cold/wet or you aren't feeling well or fancy going away for the weekend - tough you still need to go and look after Molly, ensure she has fresh water, food, there are no injuries etc etc. I have no idea what the vets bills would be like but I'm guessing not going to be cheap - you will need a vet that deals with farm animals so no popping to the little practice on the high street.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 February 2012 at 10:00PM
    Options
    Guys, have a peek at tod's previously started threads before you go to too much effort giving serious advice. It is highly unlikely that he could even pick a llama out of a lineup!
  • tizerbelle
    Options
    tod123 wrote: »
    OK, thanks , the wife said she had to go :( will look at options tom

A sensible decision.
  • tizerbelle
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    Guys, have a peek at tod's previously started threads before you go to to much effort giving serious advice. It is highly unlikely that he could even pick a llama out of a lineup!

Thanks P1 - point taken!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport