Personal Advisors...How Often?

Options
Just wondering for all you job seekers who sign-on every 2 weeks, how often do you actually see your Personal Advisor?

Looking back at my appointment booklet, I seem to have been booked in with mine about once a month (so every other sign-in) and sometimes have had to visit them twice in a row - Is this normal?

All that ever happens when I visit my personal adviser, is I say/show what I have done over the past 2 weeks looking for work, I sign on and then we spend a couple of minutes looking at the database for 'suitable' jobs. Never received any real advice from them.

Comments

• LadyMissA
    LadyMissA Posts: 3,263 Forumite
    edited 12 February 2012 at 7:54PM
    Options
    patchi wrote: »
    Just wondering for all you job seekers who sign-on every 2 weeks, how often do you actually see your Personal Advisor?

Looking back at my appointment booklet, I seem to have been booked in with mine about once a month (so every other sign-in) and sometimes have had to visit them twice in a row - Is this normal?

All that ever happens when I visit my personal adviser, is I say/show what I have done over the past 2 weeks looking for work, I sign on and then we spend a couple of minutes looking at the database for 'suitable' jobs. Never received any real advice from them.
    For me in weeks 1 to 26 I just signed on then 26 to week 52 I went every week so week 1 is to sign then the next week to see the advisor and so on. So saw the advisor every other week to the sign date and she just looked on the Job Seekers Direct link she had on her pc which is different to http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/homepage.aspx?sessionid=149aaa79-9f00-4e8d-b1e7-765933f2ef7c&pid=3 and that was it.

I never got any advise either other than to apply for minimum wage jobs as that's all I will get
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Someone I know has been unemployed for 10 months and has seen their personal adviser twice!! No use at all.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • patchi
    patchi Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    LadyMissA wrote: »
    she just looked on the Job Seekers Direct link she had on her pc which is different to Job Centre Plus websiteand that was it.

Ah yes, but as I am registered for job alerts with most of other websites that cater to the job area I am seeking work in. It is VERY rare for me to see something new/different on the database that the personal advisor connects too.

I even apply for work outside of these areas and apply for minimum wage jobs and I am still aware of what's available.

Thanks anyways :)
  • LadyMissA
    Options
    patchi wrote: »
    Ah yes, but as I am registered for job alerts with most of other websites that cater to the job area I am seeking work in. It is VERY rare for me to see something new/different on the database that the personal advisor connects too.

I even apply for work outside of these areas and apply for minimum wage jobs and I am still aware of what's available.

Thanks anyways :)
    aren't we all? I am on over 20 sites for automated emails and look too at all of those sites every day.

I don't get your point? The Job centre can not help anyone at all. My adviser told me 'I can't help you, just keep doing what you are doing'. They are not trained in recruitment or anything they are just admin as far as I can see.
  • nocareer
    Options
    The so-called advisor will start seeing you after six months, every 2nd time you sign on. They are just glorified desk clerks who have more authority, and can change your JSAgreement, and force you to sign up to MWA etc... They are of little use, its job creation; jobcentres should just abolish their roll completely.
  • SLAYFIELD1
    Options
    .... I have been signing in for almost a year and in that time I have seen my advisor only 3 or 4 times. Not that I actually want to see her! I don't know if it might change at all now that I am on this ridiculous "Work Programme" though.
  • LadyMissA
    Options
    SLAYFIELD1 wrote: »
    .... I have been signing in for almost a year and in that time I have seen my advisor only 3 or 4 times. Not that I actually want to see her! I don't know if it might change at all now that I am on this ridiculous "Work Programme" though.
    the WP are your advisers now
  • mishmogs
    Options
    I was told the advisors are not there to help you find a job just to make sure that you look for work!!!
    SPC Nbr.... 1484....£800 Saved £946 in 2013)
    (£1,010 in 2014)
    Coveted :staradmin :staradmin from Sue - :D

• patchi
    patchi Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    nocareer wrote: »
    The so-called advisor will start seeing you after six months, every 2nd time you sign on. They are just glorified desk clerks who have more authority, and can change your JSAgreement, and force you to sign up to MWA etc... They are of little use, its job creation; jobcentres should just abolish their roll completely.

I've been seeing my personal advisor like this, since the 3 month mark.

However, I have been informed at my sign-on yesterday, that they are splitting us into 2 groups, by age range. One group will sign on downstairs, the other upstairs. I asked if it would be the same as normal and I was informed "Yes, but it might take longer as it will be like a taxi-rank system."
    - Will see what it is actually like in 2 weeks time.
  • falko89
    falko89 Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Options
    I've to see mine every 13 weeks, all seems a bit pointless, I spend more time with the advisor signing on every 2 weeks that I did with her, It was less than 5 mins literally, it could easily of been done over the phone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure