Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    Should I get an annual statement of my state pension for my tax return?
    • #1
    • 22nd Jan 12, 1:19 PM
    Should I get an annual statement of my state pension for my tax return? 22nd Jan 12 at 1:19 PM
    I retired in 2010 and I have both a state pension (enhanced from SERPS) and a Civil Service Pension. Neither the enhancement nor the CS Pension is very large but I still need to complete a self assessment tax form on which I have to put my income for the year.

    I have assembled all the paperwork. The Civil Service Pension sent me a P60 in 2011 saying how much pension they paid me in the year ending march 2011. But I have not received any similar document in respect of my state pension service.

    When I first claimed my state pension, I received a calculation of how much was due including SERPS entitlement less a sum reflecting any benefits from a contracted out scheme of which I was a member for a while. But nothing since.

    More recently I received a letter from the CS scheme explaining how tax codes for the two schemes (state and CS would be offset as appropriate. But I have never received any documentation from the state scheme since that first estimate although I am being paid monthly and the amount looks about right

    So short of adding up my individual bank statements which reflect state pension after tax, I do not know how much it actually was for the year. I know this sounds daft but the letter with the quotation they originally sent me had all sorts of small amounts on it, additions and deductions and i think there was a small state increase announced last year. The monthly amount I am now getting from the state scheme does differ slightly from the original estimate but that may be due to changed tax codes.

    Should I receive an annual statement in P60 or other form of how much state pension I have received, to enter on my tax return? Or do I have to go through all my bank statements for the year and add it up (which will of course be the after tax figure)?
    Last edited by usignuolo; 22-01-2012 at 1:21 PM.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

245Posts Today

1,025Users online

Martin's Twitter