IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
McDonalds' no receipt
Closed Thread
Views: 2,177
# 1
Handsome90
Old 14-01-2012, 10:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default McDonalds' no receipt

I went to a McDonalds' restaurant a few weeks back and paid by a debit card. They didn't give me a receipt even though I paid with a debit card. I assumed they would give me a receipt because so far all the shops (not stalls) I've visited gave me a receipt. I found McDonalds the only exception. As far as I'm aware of they aren't legally obliged to provide receipts for customers. But since they are the odd one out, the staff serving me should have asked whether I would like one.

Anyway, my question is, "Are they obliged to provide a receipt if a customer pays by a debit/credit card?"
# 2
halibut2209
Old 14-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I believe they should supply you with a receipt of the card transaction, but not one of the purchase itself. It is not a legal requirement to give a general receipt, but I'm not sure of the requirements of a card receipt. They are not the same thing.
One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
The Following User Says Thank You to halibut2209 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
vicmorrow
Old 14-01-2012, 10:43 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart

No.........
# 4
unholyangel
Old 14-01-2012, 10:45 PM

Receipts are not required to be given by law.

You will technically already have proof of purchase (should you require it) via your bank. Alternatively if you need the receipt, you can always ask them for it (and many people do this for meals/fuel in order to claim expenses).
Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
# 5
goater78
Old 14-01-2012, 10:45 PM
PPR

I don't think mcdonalds ever give receipts. Bk do, in fact there used to be a rule that if bk didn't give you a receipt then you could ask for the meal for free.
I may be wrong but I dont think there is any legal thing that says they have to give you a receipt?
The Following User Says Thank You to goater78 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
halibut2209
Old 14-01-2012, 10:46 PM

Out of interest, are they required by law to give a receipt if requested. And is the general receipt you get different from the card transaction receipt you get?
One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
# 7
vicmorrow
Old 14-01-2012, 10:53 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by halibut2209 View Post
Out of interest, are they required by law to give a receipt if requested. And is the general receipt you get different from the card transaction receipt you get?

Yes, ....and how do you know the general receipt (which you don't get) is different from the card transaction receipt which you also don't get?
# 8
Handsome90
Old 14-01-2012, 11:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by unholyangel View Post
Receipts are not required to be given by law.

You will technically already have proof of purchase (should you require it) via your bank. Alternatively if you need the receipt, you can always ask them for it (and many people do this for meals/fuel in order to claim expenses).
Thanks. That's what I thought. But what if they gave me the wrong order? I mean they punched in the right order with the cash-machine but accidentally served me a wrong sandwich. I would have to wait 3 days for it to see in the statement.
# 9
halibut2209
Old 14-01-2012, 11:00 PM

Again, read the thread.

I didn't say it was different. I asked if it was different. A big difference. The reason I ask is because a lot of places give you two receipts if you use a card. One for the purchase, and one for the card transaction.
# 10
vicmorrow
Old 14-01-2012, 11:03 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Again, read the thread.

I didn't say it was different. I asked if it was different. A big difference. The reason I ask is because a lot of places give you two receipts if you use a card. One for the purchase, and one for the card transaction.

Read the thread...they don't give receipts.
# 11
Handsome90
Old 14-01-2012, 11:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
I think the card receipt just says the total payment (may also include the last digits of my card number). But the general receipt has a format similar to a itemised bill. I'm not 100% sure on this.
# 12
vicmorrow
Old 14-01-2012, 11:05 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Again, read the thread.

Why would that be of interest?
# 13
Handsome90
Old 14-01-2012, 11:07 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by goater78 View Post
I don't think mcdonalds ever give receipts. Bk do, in fact there used to be a rule that if bk didn't give you a receipt then you could ask for the meal for free.
I may be wrong but I dont think there is any legal thing that says they have to give you a receipt?
Yeah that's what my brother told me about McDonalds. I rarely visit that place and most of the time my bro kindly decides to pay the bill, so I didn't know they had this policy in place. Well from now on I'll politely ask for a receipt.
# 14
mancitychick
Old 14-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The two McDonads near me give you your receipt, sometimes automatically, sometimes you have to ask for it. The receipt seems to print automatically at the the window that gives out the food not the till window.

As you can see I only tend to use the drive thru!

Last edited by mancitychick; 14-01-2012 at 11:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mancitychick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
vicmorrow
Old 14-01-2012, 11:09 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome90 View Post
Yeah that's what my brother told me about McDonalds. I rarely visit that place and most of the time my bro kindly decides to pay the bill, so I didn't know they had this policy in place. Well from now on I'll politely ask for a receipt.

Why......politely?
# 16
mazza111
Old 14-01-2012, 11:10 PM

Always had a receipt, usually in among the order, either between the drinks in drink holder or folded up with the bag.
4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter
# 17
shaun from Africa
Old 14-01-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
And is the general receipt you get different from the card transaction receipt you get?
Normally they are different.

The general (or goods receipt) will list the individual items purchased and the price charged for each of these.
The card receipt will only show the total amount paid and will state either "PIN verified" or have a copy of the signature of the card holder if the card is not of the "chip & PIN" type.
# 18
Sagz
Old 14-01-2012, 11:15 PM

I drive all over the country and all Macd's have given me a receipt when I ask for one (expenses), 2 if I've paid by card.
Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree!
# 19
Handsome90
Old 14-01-2012, 11:15 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicmorrow View Post
Why......politely?
I understand receipts aren't at all good for the environment. A lot of trees would have been saved if shops didn't have to print receipts.

The reason I would ask because what if they messed up my order. If I have the receipt I will have proof of what I ordered, provided my order was punched into the till correctly. We are all humans and mistakes can happen.
# 20
halibut2209
Old 14-01-2012, 11:17 PM

So are they legally obliged to give the card receipt? I know that a general receipt is not legally necessary, but I am unsure about a card receipt.
Closed Thread