Cooper's International Auctions

Options
just wanted to warn everyone about Cooper's International Auctions. " Auction" is not necessarily synonymous with "bargain". These are auctions that rely on the excited and the inexperienced bidder getting carried away. It's like what I imagine the old Petticoat Lane market in London might have been - much banter between the auctioneers to bring a jolly, pally, relaxed atmostphere; the lots are talked up ridiculously ("this retails for TEN thousand!! - " now THIS is IMPORTANT! Just LOOK how beautiful the brushwork is!") and there are some obvious set pieces of scam-banter between them to make you think that THIS particular lot will be real bargain whatever you pay for it. The horrible thing is that this all struck me as soon as I walked in the door and I laughed at it, and STILL I bought four lots and paid much more that I should have done for them! Idiot me! I see posts around with complaints about this company and people trying to sue them, but I reckon they should be more angry with themselves than with the auctioneers...

Comments

• dunramblin
    Options
    Hello Sarah
    They are very dodgy and should be stopped, but they just use a common method used by dodgy people, which is close down the company, declare themselves bankrupt and open another company. These guys have been getting away with it for years. They are up market barrow boys which seems to fool everyone !

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/forum/consumer-rights-television-programmes/10466-bbc-watchdog-auctions-come-under-rogue-hammer.html

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2983010&highlight=
  • Jedi_Knight_2
    Options
    Hi I am new here.

I went to Cooper's International Auctions about month ago and spent over 6K. I did not do any research and was stupid! I was excited and got totally carried away with the power of bidding the auctioneer is a pro and very friendly and very likeable . After the sale I went to a luxury shop to check out the goods and I was shocked to find that it was part "fake". The same day I called the police and consumer direct and found out basically I had no rights at all!!!

I was very happy with the jewellery but not the watch. On reading about Cooper's International Auctions and that everyone seemed unhappy I thought that my money was all gone!

I wrote to Cooper's International Auctions immediately and started to read their terms and conditions at the bottom of the website and it said the all my rights was gone before the sales. I sat down and thought wow! I am "f*%ked" I wrote to coppers and explained everything in detail and without hesitation they called me offering a "full refund" and that they were very sorry to have sold the item to me. To todate, I have the money in my account without trouble.

They say that you must contact them if you have a problem within 14 days!

You must also remember that Cooper's International Auctions is the middle man and sell on behalf of the middle man. Once that middle man as been paid by Cooper's International Auctions all your rights are gone and they don't have to contact the middle man either as it is a data protection thing.

Going to Cooper's International Auctions was fun and I would go again. You must know your limits and read the small print at the bottom of the Cooper's International Auctions website. You can also thoroughly check the stuff out before you bid. Remember to add 20% vat and 4% sales income on top of the price that you pay.

Also better to pay by Visa, never by Debit Card!!!! As you would find it very difficult to get your money back.

Notice: You don't have to go to Cooper's International Auctions! You don't have to buy anything at Cooper's International Auctions!

There are bargains light side and none bargains the dark side but be very very careful and check your stuff out before you bid!!!.

I hope that this helps everyone.

And may the force be with you all. x
  • henlondon
    Options
    In relpy to the below post, i bought some items at way over price, they were not as described bronze but metal, and I am now pleased. This only happened today - does anyone know what to do and how to be best to act quickly as they have a 10 day "queries within 10 days" on their website. Any help much appreciated - Thank you
  • red_pepper_2
    Options

Hello all, in response to the last thread (henlondon) contact Coopersstraight away and cross your fingers for a refund.

Unfortunately the truth is that ifa piece of artwork, jewellery or sculpture is at a rock bottom price then it possiblywon’t be the authentic article. Personally, I have been collecting original artworksfor the past 15 years and would always recommend purchasing through a reputablegallery and not an auction house.

Where auction houses are excellent at the excitingsell and certainly make the experience a thrill, on most occasions this isshort lived. When buying through a gallery you can talk to the dealer in detailabout the painting, they will normally hold it for you to see a few times andthen you have the chance to really think about it. It may not the adrenaline experienceof the auction but I’d rather confidently buy through a decent gallery any day!

Happy buying and good luck everyone.
  • Neval8withav8
    Neval8withav8 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 17 April 2014 at 4:25PM
    Options
    Hi just a little info on [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] if you want to have his contact details pm me as I have his full address and number.
  • qweasdzxc
    qweasdzxc Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 17 April 2014 at 4:26PM
    Options
    Hi,

Could you tell me [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] contact please?

[Removed email address]

Thanks a lot! any other information could help with the refund would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Hi just a little info on Alan cooper if you want to have his contact details pm me as I have his full address and number.

avoid at all cost. just got into their trick the past Sunday 22nd September 2013. avoid them at all cost! the carpet they sell that claimed as hand made are actually very cheap machine made carpets! a real handmade one could cost at least 7000 pounds! they sell it for hundreds! which is what it should worth when it is machine made.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,097 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Seeing as this thread has been bumped I particularly enjoyed post #3. No less than 10 mentions of Cooper's International Auctions.

A good google hit ratio it will ensure.
  • phirana
    Options
    I went to Coopers International Auctions coopersinternationalauctions.com . I bought a diamond bracelet for £13000 with a certificate from AGI agigems.co.uk valued at £29000. After taking this to hatten gardens and a jeweler on new bond street a week later, both confirmed that the value was way too much. This bracelet was only worth £6000 and was 'overly valued'

Given the document that was provided and other professionals saying otherwise, Surely this fraud? Even the painting there followed a similar pattern.
  • shanita
    Options
    I attended this auction last week Sunday. I am not an art collector, nor do I like old handmade carpets. However, to give the auction a fair assessment, I brought a iMac 21" computer, (which I have not taking out of the box yet) for 960.00 which included the 21 per cent commission you have to pay, which I thought was unusual, as I thought that the seller paid commission after the item was sold. I also brought a watch which was a Sekonda for 40.00 (48.00) with the commission. I brought a laptop which I have since sold on to my cousin for the price I paid for it. Overall, I must say that I am happy because the iMac retails at 1500.00 normally. However, I would not advise anyone to buy, any jewellery, art work or carpets. I may well be posting again if I plug in my mac and it is not working. However, they state that all electrical goods come with a 12 month warranty, so I think I am covered.
  • Computersaysno
    Options
    Gee...what a surprise!!!

Do you really expect to be given any credence when you register to post that a company described by many as scammers is really good.

Come on, get real!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport