Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Budgeting & Bank Accounts > first direct - paying in cheques... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
first direct - paying in cheques...
Closed Thread
Views: 16,119
# 1
timswf
Old 14-03-2005, 11:10 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default first direct - paying in cheques...

..the other day I noticed I'd just put a stamp on one of my envelopes to post a cheque to FD to pay it in... Smile used to give me a neat little bundle of pre paid stationery .. but there's no mention of anything like this from first direct.. however if you send them a message from the electronic banking site enquiries section they're happy to send free envelopes.. a small but worthwhile saving. rgds tim
# 2
ED
Old 15-03-2005, 10:19 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks for the useful tip, timswf.

SAEs are certainly useful when people live too far away to visit an HSBC branch to make deposits over-the-counter or via ATM - or are too busy to visit.

Re. ATM card replacement, a family member received one for the First Direct cheque account not via post but via courier. Anyone here still getting their's postally?
# 3
davidcampbell
Old 15-03-2005, 10:22 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

dont use first direct myself so cant comment specifically

however it may be somethign to do with royal mails "hot postcodes" list. anywhere that has a postcode with (in royal mails view) a high chance of something adverse happening to the mail, is "hot" and generally some banks will send cards for addresses on this list by courier.

1 possible explanation?

DC
# 4
Caped Avenger
Old 15-03-2005, 11:12 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcampbell
however it may be somethign to do with royal mails "hot postcodes" list. anywhere that has a postcode with (in royal mails view) a high chance of something adverse happening to the mail, is "hot" and generally some banks will send cards for addresses on this list by courier.

1 possible explanation?
And it's the right one.
# 5
realaledrinker
Old 15-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Surely that's the bank's hot list. The Royal Mail aren't going to advertise the fact that light fingered posties work for them in certain parts of the country, are they?
Ethical moneysaver
# 6
davidcampbell
Old 15-03-2005, 11:58 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by realaledrinker
Surely that's the bank's hot list. The Royal Mail aren't going to advertise the fact that light fingered posties work for them in certain parts of the country, are they?

yeah i didnt explain what i meant very well

what al mac said

DC
# 7
ED
Old 16-03-2005, 7:59 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Many thanks, all, for the useful insight.

Presumably, also, if First Direct + other financial institutions (or "firms", as the media now seem to call them) observe large numbers of customers reporting non receipt of banking cards, etc, the "firms" create their own blacklist of areas.
# 8
GlennTheBaker
Old 17-03-2005, 4:04 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I worked for Midland Bank (now HSBC) a few years ago and whilst I was there, the bank introduced a system whereby cards and PINs destined for "hot" addresses would be diverted to the branch and a letter sent to the address informing the customer. We had a sub-branch at the local University and any cards or PINs addressed to the Halls of Residence came to branch. Apparently, the communal post boxes made theiving really easy!
# 9
ED
Old 17-03-2005, 4:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Card collection in-branch is certainly smart.

Curiously, my family member was not invited to go to an HSBC branch to fetch the replacement card - perhaps because it was from First Direct, rather than HSBC itself...?

Anyone here know some 'hot' areas of the UK where theft-in-the-post is thought to be rife?
# 10
Caped Avenger
Old 17-03-2005, 8:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED
Curiously, my family member was not invited to go to an HSBC branch to fetch the replacement card - perhaps because it was from First Direct, rather than HSBC itself...?

Anyone here know some 'hot' areas of the UK where theft-in-the-post is thought to be rife?
As much as fd are part of the HSBC group, they still have different procedures. fd try to get cards out postally as much as possible, and tend to avoid delivering to branches.

Hot areas are generally where you'd expect them to be: most of London, Birmingham, Manchester (not Leeds, curiously), Bradford... Specific postcodes will vary according to different companies, but they're some of the ones that will be on most lists.
Closed Thread