Personal Career Services/PCS - any good?

Options
Quick background/long story short: I am an experienced business & commercial manager and have worked for several large organisations and well-known consumer brands. I am currently unemployed (though keeping busy) I have been actively looking for work in my field for months. My cv is top-notch (so I'm told), is on all the usual job boards, I network as much as I can, and I apply for advertised jobs regularly, still no joy or offers.

I was approached by Personal Career Services (PCS) who offer "career management solutions" and charge just under £3k to manage me for 12 months, including coaching, cv design, self-marketing, networking, how to access the hidden job market etc etc, and quote a 93% success rate.

Has anyone had experience of this outfit? They don't expect all the money up front (they will do 3 stage payments) and on paper it looks good. If I do get my ideal job as a result I will easily make the £3k back again. I've done a google search but can't find any reviews of their service.

After a couple of meetings with them I am sorely tempted but on the basis of if it looks too good to be true then it probably is, then any feedback from MSE land will be appreciated!
£2 Savers Club 2016 #21 £14/£250
£2 Savers Club 2015 #8 £250£200 :j

Proud to be an OU graduate :j :j

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass but learning to dance in the rain

Comments

• InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 December 2012 at 9:06PM
    Options
    I made the mistake of taking them for a normal job agency a couple of years ago and so went to the meeting with them.

Whilst they talk a lot about the "unadvertised job market" and the ability to network I really wasn't convinced by it at all, though I recall they wanted me to go with one of their senior people and wanted about £5k.

After probing I did find that a fair number of their candidates find work through referrals to normal job agencies [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM].

Would be interested to know how useful it really is, just wouldn't want to use my money to find out. In fairness to them, they did suggest a revision to my CV layout and for 75% of people it has worked very well though the remaining 25% have hated it.
  • InsideInsurance
    Options
    Once you go into see them they make you do personality tests and look at your CV etc and basically you get a very oiled sales routine saying that your not earning anywhere near your capability, that 70% (or something) of jobs arent advertised but are gotten by networking/ being in right place right time.

In exchange for your fee they say they will effectively improve your CV, groom you, teach you networking skills and give you a finite period of time access to their "whos who" type directory. Once you've gone through the process they'll pass you to some recruitment agencies but really the "idea" is that using the skills they've taught you you start making contacts, having coffee/ drinks with relevant people etc and in time when those people need a new X they ask you to do it rather than advertise the job.

In theory it can work and networking is a good skill, how much can be taught and if it is value for money is another matter.

The above is what they told me, I dont know how many tiers of service they may offer.
  • PlutoinCapricorn
    Options
    It is amazing how many of these companies mention a hidden job market, but I don't remember anyone on MSE giving any positive feedback about this. It seems like a standard 'hook', as is the idea that without such help you won't get a job.

It seems like a big waste of money to me.
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

• RWakeford
    Options
    So, is there anyone out there who has paid the money and got a job? I've been for a first meeting today and don't know whether to go for a second free meeting, let alone pay £3k without evidence that it works.
  • kewlers
    Options
    Did you ever get any feedback from satisfied (or othwise) customers?

I am considering their services now but I would like some objective views...

Many thanks...
  • PlutoinCapricorn
    Options
    This thread is quite old, and no one came back with anything positive to say.
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

• Hezzawithkids
    Hezzawithkids Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    edited 13 November 2013 at 3:15PM
    Options
    No-one ever came back to me with any personal experience of them, but anyway within a month of seeing them I got a job offer through an agency and I am still gainfully employed, thank god.

It's telling thought that aside from some pro-forma follow up emails they never chased me, even after spending several hours with the consultant and going through all their testing. I would have thought with all that time invested by them would have resulted in at least a follow up phone call. [TEXT REMOVED BY FORUM TEAM]
    £2 Savers Club 2016 #21 £14/£250
    £2 Savers Club 2015 #8 £250£200 :j

Proud to be an OU graduate :j :j

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass but learning to dance in the rain
  • Helmsdale
    Helmsdale Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 12 October 2012 at 2:37AM
    Options
    You know, guys, as an experienced outplacement consultant, I can say that most of your opinions are wrong, yet some of them touch on the truth.

The reality is that PCS and other similar outfits offer the services of freelance, self-employed career consultants, some of whom are brilliant, some good or fair, while others are barely adequate (in my honest opinion).

In the business, this 'retail' sector has always been regarded as the 'scrag end' of the outplacement market anyway - the premium side is corporate, with companies paying for a service to mitigate the effects of redundancy on their employees(and monitoring KPIs).

PCS mainly operates on the retail side, as far as I'm aware. After some initial advertising and marketing, the consultancy largely throws the risk onto the consultants, providing the leads and leaving them to 'convert' each sale, or not. The time you spend on initial consultations is probably entirely at the expense of the consultant, not PCS - no fee, no pay. That's why some consultants will say 'to hell with it', and not follow up on a free and lengthy initial consultation if they think it's not going anyhere. So no gain, but no loss to PCS.

On the other hand, an experienced career and outplacement consultant (we're usually self-employed) can give really valuable assistance, depending on which one of us you get. But we have to get paid from somewhere. Why would you pay us? Well, we know the inside track, and have an in-depth knowledge of the recruitment and selection business. I've delivered success for clients on numerous difficult contracts in private and public sectors over the past few years. I know what I'm doing. After all, I couldn't do your job after a couple of weeks on Google, so why would you expect to do mine?

You can bet on one thing though: unless you go direct (probably for a much lower price) the consultant will only be getting a small fraction of the contract fee - it used to be one third, but that's been squeezed as low as 14 per cent by some consultancies - we're suffering like everyone else.

Another thing - DO NOT be tempted to take out a loan agreement via a finance company to pay for the outplacement service. Some consultants, desperate for business to keep their own income going, are pressed to sell these agreements in the retail outplacement sector. I'm not saying PCS do that, but some companies certainly do. Besides the profit from their job search service, they get a commission on the sale of the loan agreement too, and you end up paying interest. If you can't afford it, don't touch it with a barge pole!

Having said all that, a good careers consultant can be worth his/her weight in euros. We are experts at writing CVs, but we offer so much more: skills and aspirations analysis, self-marketing skills, designing and implementing speculative job search campaigns, conducting job-winning interview techniques, competency-based selection training ... I could go on.

In fairness, most of the consultants affiliated to PCS probably do a good job for their clients. They're 'under the lash' of current economic problems, as much as you. I just happen to think that the retail outplacement/careers paradigm sucks.

If you're looking for another job and thinking of seeking professional help (and you could do much, much worse, honestly), you'd be better advised finding an independent career consultant in your area via Linked-In and asking for a quotation. Ask for references from satisfied clients too. I'm absolutely certain you'll get just as good a service, or better (it might even be the same consultant) for a much lower fee.
  • jnawash
    jnawash Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 13 November 2013 at 3:18PM
    Options
    Unfortunately I never saw these reviews before I fell for the sweet sale talk by PCS so called career adviser. My advice to everyone seeking employment is truly [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] and do it yourself.
    Most of what you are promised by the silver tongue sales man or his clever coordinators is not true. You are led to believe something and what you get is no different from what you could get watching a you tube career advice video.
    Save your money and use more modern tools such as LinkedIn and internet which incidently PCS never even mentioned.

Good luck
  • Sparkles322
    Options
    Really sad to read all the negative replies re PCS. I paid for their services and within 6 months had left my job, started my own successful marketing company and have never looked back. I still use all the techniques they taught me with my own business and really can't rate them highly enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure