Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Techie Stuff > Sky Plus - Copying to DVD (via DVD recorder or La... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Sky Plus - Copying to DVD (via DVD recorder or Laptop) - how do I do it?
Closed Thread
Views: 102,651
# 1
dfdemello
Old 28-01-2007, 12:37 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Sky Plus - Copying to DVD (via DVD recorder or Laptop) - how do I do it?

Hello all,

I have a growing collection of things on my Sky plus box that I want to copy to DVD to permanently store and clear up space on the box. Does anyone have an easy to follow way to do this via a laptop or DVD recorder? My Sky plus box has no USB port but a TV Scart, S-Video and Rs332 "slots" at the back. Would be grateful for any assistance.

Cheers
Be the change you want to see in this world - Gandhi

It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken
and the wisest might err - Gandhi.

He who will not economize will have to agonize - Confucius
# 2
missile
Old 28-01-2007, 2:06 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

It's easy simply plug in DVD recorder and play
"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Ghandi
Ride hard or stay home
The Following User Says Thank You to missile For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
petrichor
Old 29-01-2007, 2:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Location: Planet Petrichor where everything has that after storm fresh smell

Sorry missile but it's not a simple as that, well not for me anyway. I've plugged in my recordable dvd and despite trying various things I can't get it to record from my sky+ box, it works ok when I record from a tv channel. Any further advice please?
# 4
missile
Old 29-01-2007, 3:01 PM

The way I do it is to play a program recorded on Sky+ box on the telly and hit record on my DVD recorder. My DVD has the facility to auto-record but I have never used it.

FYI: There is an option on the Sky+ planner menu "COPY" but that does not work on my system. I have a Panasonic TV and DVD recorder. Previously I recorded by the same method onto a Sony VCR.

I hope this helps? If not you can phone Sky. Tell them your Sky box is not working properly and ask for an engineer to call, this service is free.
"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Ghandi
Ride hard or stay home
The Following User Says Thank You to missile For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
missile
Old 01-02-2007, 2:06 PM

dfdemello,

I am glad it worked out for you
Ride hard or stay home
# 6
ukcompo
Old 01-02-2007, 2:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

i run it so that my sky+ box plugs via scart to my DVD recorder and then that via a scart cable plugs into my TV, the DVD recorder is set to display the picture from the Sky+ box by choosing which line input the scart cable from the sky+ box is coming in on.

and it is as easy as pressing playing on my sky+ recorded program and pressing record on my DVD recorder. So therefore you are capturing the image being sent from the sky+ box to the TV.

Just note many Sky films, and even some discovery channel content is protected so you won't be able to record the info
:: No Unapproved Links in Signatures - FM ::
# 7
blisteringblue
Old 01-02-2007, 2:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrichor
Sorry missile but it's not a simple as that, well not for me anyway. I've plugged in my recordable dvd and despite trying various things I can't get it to record from my sky+ box, it works ok when I record from a tv channel. Any further advice please?
When you select the recording channel on your DVD recorder make sure it corresponds to the correct av socket you have your scart connected to. Either AV1 or AV2

Note if you want RGB scart quality you must connect to AV1 on the Sky+ box as the AV2 Recorder scart socket is composite only

Once the correct channel is selected you should be able to use either the sky copy facility or just play and record.
# 8
everythingblogcast
Old 01-02-2007, 2:44 PM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Some send a copy block so that you can not record. All so you can only kept recorded TV for 28 days due to copyright laws.
# 9
waster
Old 01-02-2007, 2:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by missile

I hope this helps? If not you can phone Sky. Tell them your Sky box is not working properly and ask for an engineer to call, this service is free.
It's only free if less than a year old. Otherwise the standard Sky call out fee will apply. Was £60 per call out. If it's the box that's at fault, the enginner will probably replace it with a refurb - probably an Amstrad. If it is replaced you'll lose all your recordings with the original box!
# 10
missile
Old 01-02-2007, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waster
It's only free if less than a year old. Otherwise the standard Sky call out fee will apply. Was £60 per call out. If it's the box that's at fault, the enginner will probably replace it with a refurb - probably an Amstrad. If it is replaced you'll lose all your recordings with the original box!
If they try to charge you, simply say in that case I want to cancel the subscription I am not paying for something which does not work. They transfer you to customer retention and "hey presto" they send the man for free. It works, I have done it.
Ride hard or stay home
# 11
Bambers
Old 01-02-2007, 3:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

slightly off topic, but i have a usb port on the from of my box, what is it for?
# 12
blisteringblue
Old 01-02-2007, 3:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambers
slightly off topic, but i have a usb port on the from of my box, what is it for?
Nothing as of yet, sky list it "for future use" but we will see if they ever turn it on. Its the same with my Sky HD it has several add ons for future use but I bet we never see any of those either.
The Following User Says Thank You to blisteringblue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
ringo_24601
Old 01-02-2007, 3:58 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Nothing... yet, i presume you have the 160gb Sky+ box. You'll also find another USB port at the back. If you like you can use them to charge USB devices, but that's all
The Following User Says Thank You to ringo_24601 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
dappyhel
Old 26-05-2008, 4:09 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Is there any way to copy from Sky Plus to a video recorder? As someone mentioned earlier there is the option to Copy on Sky Plus by pressing the red button when you're in the planner section but nothing seems to happen. :confused:
# 15
geewhiz
Old 26-05-2008, 4:51 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dappyhel View Post
Is there any way to copy from Sky Plus to a video recorder? As someone mentioned earlier there is the option to Copy on Sky Plus by pressing the red button when you're in the planner section but nothing seems to happen. :confused:
You need to have a scart or coax cable running out of your Sky+ box into your VCR.

You then select the correct channel on the VCR, usually something like AV1 if you have used a scart, then just press record.

The red button copy option in the sky+ menu is there so you can play several programs one after the other to allow you to copy them as one program, so you set say 5 shows to Copy using the red button then you press select and it will play them all continuously until they are finished, it will also tell you how long this will take.
# 16
martynelmy
Old 07-09-2010, 12:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thumbs up simple guide to copying from sky+ to vcr or dvd

As long as the DVD / VCR are connected correctly (select SCART-RGB) to the Sky+ box
If you only one HDMI on the recorder use this for direct connection to the TV (assuming TV has 2 x HDMI inputs for HD)
alongside the HDMI from the Sky+ box.

You should be able to use the procedure below to record the programmes you have stored on your Sky+ system.

Copy to VCR / DVD procedure in the old EPG (no preview window)
Press TV guide on the Sky Remote Control.
Press the green button to display the Sky+ Planner.
Use the up/down arrows to highlight the programme to be copied.
Press the red button to mark the programme as Copy.
Repeat steps 3 to 4 for each programme to be copied as required.
When all desired programmes are marked as Copy press the select button.
Enter your PIN if requested.
When the information banner appears, press record on the VCR / DVD recorder
then press select on the Sky Remote Control very quickly to ensure the Sky+ does not jump to the next screen.
A confirmation screen will appear showing the programme information.
After this the programme will start to play out.

or

Copy to VCR / DVD procedure in the new EPG (with preview window)
Use the up / down arrows to highlight the programme to be copied.
Use the left / right arrows to select options (!) for the recording
Press the green button to mark the programme as Copy.
Repeat steps 3 to 5 for each programme to be copied as required.
When the information banner appears, press record on the VCR o/r DVD recorder
then press select on the Sky Remote Control very quickly to ensure the Sky+ does not jump to the next screen.
A confirmation screen will appear and this will shortly be replaced by the search and scan banner showing the programme information.

It is not possible to watch another channel on Sky+ while a programme is being copied.
Some movies and PPV events are copyright protected, they cannot be recorded
or are unable to be played back on a VCR / DVD recorder without picture distortion.
You can speak with Sky technical team on 08442 411 411 who will assist you further.

The Following User Says Thank You to martynelmy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
DatabaseError
Old 07-09-2010, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasX View Post
Why are you digging up threads from 2007?

kindly stay offf the internet till you work out how it works.....

thx
hey - last post was only a little over 2 years ago, i bet the guy is grateful the answers finally came
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant.
# 18
BigLee_24
Old 07-09-2010, 4:29 PM
MoneySaving Convert

lol better late than never..........
# 19
BlueCheese
Old 08-09-2010, 11:40 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Lolzoroflkopter
# 20
augie
Old 08-09-2010, 2:12 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by martynelmy View Post
As long as the DVD / VCR are connected correctly (select SCART-RGB) to the Sky+ box
If you only one HDMI on the recorder use this for direct connection to the TV (assuming TV has 2 x HDMI inputs for HD)
alongside the HDMI from the Sky+ box.

You should be able to use the procedure below to record the programmes you have stored on your Sky+ system.

Copy to VCR / DVD procedure in the old EPG (no preview window)
Use the up/down arrows to highlight the programme to be copied.
Press the red button to mark the programme as Copy.
Repeat steps 3 to 4 for each programme to be copied as required.
When the information banner appears, press record on the VCR / DVD recorder
A confirmation screen will appear showing the programme information.

or

Copy to VCR / DVD procedure in the new EPG (with preview window)
Use the up / down arrows to highlight the programme to be copied.
Use the left / right arrows to select options (!) for the recording
Press the green button to mark the programme as Copy.
Repeat steps 3 to 5 for each programme to be copied as required.
When the information banner appears, press record on the VCR o/r DVD recorder
A confirmation screen will appear and this will shortly be replaced by the search and scan banner showing the programme information.

It is not possible to watch another channel on Sky+ while a programme is being copied.
Some movies and PPV events are copyright protected, they cannot be recorded
or are unable to be played back on a VCR / DVD recorder without picture distortion.
You can speak with Sky technical team on 08442 411 411 who will assist you further.

I follow all of this and use it but I still have a major problem......when I transfer programmes from my sky + HD box to a dvd the volume comes out really low and makes it necessary to plau earphones in when I am using it on my portable dvd player. I also have the regular sky + box in another room and do not have this volume control issue when transferring from that box to dvd's but I have a number of programmes on the sky HD box that I need to transfer and would appreciate any advice on this matter

PS When I contacted sky they told me that it was a copyright issue but surely the same copyrights would be on both boxes ??
Closed Thread