Can you claim travel expenses for interviews when on job seekers allowance?

Options
Hi

I have been made redundant and I am claiming Job Seekers Allowance. I keep hearing rumours about being able to claim travel expenses for interviews, but can't seem to find any definitive information anywhere. Is anyone able to help at all please?

I have a meeting at the jobcentre next week and can ask then, but I just wanted to be a bit more informed before I arrive, if possible!

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Red_Elle
    Red_Elle Posts: 476 Forumite
    Options
    Yes you can, but there will be a limit on it. You can also claim if you spend money going to see agencies. I've had the job centre call me a few times to check up on candidates' attendance. Not sure of amounts sorry.
  • LadyMissA
    LadyMissA Posts: 3,263 Forumite
    Options
    Red_Elle wrote: »
    Yes you can, but there will be a limit on it. You can also claim if you spend money going to see agencies. I've had the job centre call me a few times to check up on candidates' attendance. Not sure of amounts sorry.
    my job centre tell me I can not get funding for agencies
  • GotToChange
    GotToChange Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    Options
    Distance is a factor (sorry I don't know the limitations) - you are expected to take the cheapest form of transport.
    If you go in a car, you claim after the travel, at - I think - 35p per mile.
    If by train, you are given a travel warrant - so be prepared to research your train times etc - issued before the trip and which is handed over at the ticket office - so again, be aware of opening times of the ticket desk.
    Best wishes.
    :)
  • saintjammyswine
    Options
    Discretion lies with the JCP advisor so best to speak to them, should give you money for the cheapest method, depending on distance & amount.
  • Loobysaver
    Options
    In my experience you cannot get money for going to agencies.

Travel to interview is usually granted to go to interviews outside of your normal travel to work area. The job has to be permanent and over 16 hours and you must have no other means of getting there i.e savings etc

It is at local managements discretion.
  • skater_kat
    Options
    plus you have to claim in advance, you can't go in after the interview and ask for remimbursement.
  • aaron999
    Options
    I have used the travel to interview scheme very successfully over the last couple of months, once to Manchester (£54.70) and twice to London (£18.40). As long as you give them a couple of days, provide a copy of the email invite and contact details of the company it used to work well. They may phone the company before and after the interview to check, and they give you a travel warrant - do some research on the route as they can specify some really weird ones if you're not careful.

HOWEVER, I have now been moved to the work programme with Maximus as the provider. Job centre said all I do with them is sign on every fortnight, everything else, including all financial matters, is through Maximus. Maximus have told me they don't provide any financial support at all, including travel to interview.

Considering I am willing to relocate anywhere in the UK for a job, not providing the means to attend an interview is just stupid. Very few employers are willing to cover travel expenses at the moment, and many say things like, "we regret that we are unable to cover expenses for travel, however help may be provided through your job centre plus", My most recent was a local authority position which stated this.

Joined up government thinking?
  • chooflafla
    Options
    I was told at my last JSA appointment that they will only help with transport costs if the venue is over 90 minutes away by public transport. If it falls shy of this, you're on your own.
  • richdeniro
    richdeniro Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think that you also have to have less than £14,000 in savings.

I've spent around £300 on travelcards in London just going to agency sign ups over the past year - its soul destroying spending so much of my savings on it especially as out of the 20-30 agencies I've signed up at only a couple have kept in touch and found me interviews.
  • busy_mom_2
    busy_mom_2 Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    chooflafla is correct, the interview has to be out of the 90 min by public transport area. They also pay the cheapest method and milage rate is 25p per mile.
    My JCP do have a scheme with centro so provided you have a certain postcode you are eligible for daysavers for attendance at interviews within 90 minutes and certain bur routes.
    Once you are a WP customer no help can be given by JCP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport