Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > House Buying, Renting & Selling > What Do Letting Agents Look Out For In Tenant Cre... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
What Do Letting Agents Look Out For In Tenant Credit Checks!
Closed Thread
Views: 5,698
# 1
mrdeepee
Old 04-11-2011, 10:15 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default What Do Letting Agents Look Out For In Tenant Credit Checks!

My sister is considering renting from a Letting Agency but is concerned about the credit checks they all insist on carrying out as part of the letting process.

She's had problems with debts in the past but has had arrangements with all her creditors for the past 4 years to make reduced payments, and she's had no worries in all this time. However, these arrangements are reflected on her credit file and this means that she has a very poor credit rating. She doesn't have any CCJs or IVAs and has never been declared bankrupt.

She has been renting privately but now needs to move closer to her work but can't find any suitable properties to rent privately. She's now forced to consider going with Letting Agencies but she's a bit worried about them doing a credit check, seeing that she has a poor credit rating and then refusing her the let. She'll also lose the almost 200 admin fee she'll be charged for the credit check and reference process.

So, my question is, does anyone know what letting agents look out for in a credit file that will cause them to refuse letting a property to a tenant?
# 2
Benji
Old 04-11-2011, 10:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

This link is to an 'old' page from one letting agency - see in particular What minimum referencing criteria need to be met?
http://web.archive.org/web/200902280...tenants/first/
Life should be a little nuts; otherwise it's just a bunch of Thursdays strung together.
# 3
G_M
Old 04-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I'd hope they'd look for the same sorts of things as the landlord they are acting for! And any sensible landlord not using an agency would do these checks too - I certainly do.

First - get copies of her credit reports from Experian etc to see what's on there.
Second - be honest from the start. State what credit problems there are and what is on the file. Then ask if those items will preclude renting. If the answer is 'yes', save the application fee!
Third - if the agency says "that's fine as long as there's nothing else" get that in writing. ie added to the receipt for the admin fee, together with a statement that in those circumstances the fee is refundable. If subsequently the landlord or agent declines her application despite having found nothing additional, she should demand her fee back, quoting the statement on the receipt. (of course, if the credit search shows up an undeclared bankrupcy, tht's different!)
# 4
Wee Willy Harris
Old 04-11-2011, 11:50 PM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

A 60 fee?
# 5
Experian company representative
Old 07-11-2011, 2:07 PM
Has MSEs permission to post for company
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Letting agents and landlords can only access the public information on your credit report, so I've you've had no court judgments or insolvencies you shouldn't have a problem with credit checks. Your actual credit history data is only visible to banks and other lenders.

James Jones
Official Company Representative
I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Guy Burton, Jo Beck and James Scott
The Following User Says Thank You to Experian company representative For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
mrdeepee
Old 08-11-2011, 6:51 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Experian company representative View Post
Letting agents and landlords can only access the public information on your credit report, so I've you've had no court judgments or insolvencies you shouldn't have a problem with credit checks. Your actual credit history data is only visible to banks and other lenders.

James Jones
Many thanks for your post. It makes sense that non-lenders who themselves don't provide credit information to credit reference agencies, aren't able to see non-public credit info of their customers.
Closed Thread