Spill the beans ... on renting a spare room for your holiday websites

Former_MSE_Lee
Former_MSE_Lee Posts: 343 Forumite
Spill the beans... on renting a spare room for your holiday websites[IMGRIGHT]http://images.moneysavingexpert.com/images/spillthebeans2.gif[/IMGRIGHT]

Want a cheap holiday in a big UK city or overseas? Short-term room rental sites, such as AirBnB.com, Crashpadder.com and Wimdu.com reckon they're a cheap solution, saying "forget hotels, just get a room in a private home". We want you to spill the beans if you've tried it. What was it like staying with strangers? If you've been a host, how much cash do you make and how do you vet visitors?

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• coolster1
    coolster1 Posts: 27 Forumite
    edited 10 November 2011 at 4:07PM
    I've tried AirBnB three times, twice in New York, and once in Amsterdam. I tend to use it only when I couldn't find any decent cheap hotel/hostel rooms on normal hotel comparison sites.

2 out of 3 of my attempts were largely successful. I got a really sweet Upper West Side room at a bargain $50/night, and I also got an amazing EUR 50/night room in Amsterdam, smack in the middle of the loveliest street in the whole city! The hosts were lovely and accommodating. One even showed me around town and we went for dinners and things. It was really lovely.

However, the 1 out of 3 was quite a nightmare. I was given a room that was different to the one advertised, and it was quite dirty, noisy and in a quite scary area of Harlem, New York. I barely saw the host at all.

I guess it's really hit and miss with these sites. I always go for the listings which have at least a few good reviews, and if my emails are dealt with promptly by the hosts, then I'm more likely to book them.

I'd only ever use short-term room rental sites if a standard hotel search gives me astronomical prices even in the outskirts of town. My default is to use normal hotel comparison sites because you sort of know what to expect.
  • Frugaloo
    Frugaloo Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 10 November 2011 at 4:08PM
    I've couchsurfed a few times (there's a website - couchsurfing - but I can't post a link as a newbie). It's great to meet the locals, be shown the non touristy places. Hosting's good fun too. No money can change hands, so it's not a money-spinner. Great way to go visiting on a shoe string.

(Be nice please, I'm new :) )
  • I've used Airbnb in Chicago last year which was pretty good and also used homestayfriend in Glasgow when i needed a room for 2 months for a course i was doing. Also very good and great service.
    I'd definitely rent a spare room over a hotel or B&B as you get the benefit of home comforts and you get to meet really awesome people! I still keep in touch with my Chicago host and my Glasgow hosts and know i can stay with them again if i ever return.
    All in all great experience.
  • herbie__53
    herbie__53 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 10 November 2011 at 4:10PM
    I've just got back from South Korea where I rented a place through Wimdu. It was a small apartment for £30 a night, much nicer and cheaper than any decent hotels in the area. Emails were answered promptly and the apartment was really clean and lovely and tidy - looked exactly like the photos (make sure the photos say 'verified' in the top corner when browsing!).
    I've got another apartment booked in Hong Kong for January through Airbnb, and I wouldn't hesitate to book this way again.
    In fact, I'm searching for an apartment in New York for next year already!
  • Hi There everybody, Ive never tried those other sites mentioned but i have joined Travel-offers.co.uk a site that for an annual £30 ish buys you an A5 booklet that holds the names of hotels UKwide that give a free room as long as you buy your breakfast and dinner there (conditions apply and price varies), the first trip usually pays for the joining fee so if you go away more than once a year you're quids in!last year i went to (from Worcester) Felixstowe, Haverfordwest and a Skiing holiday in Aviemore, i had to drive from Forres but still cheaper than staying for a week in a hotel in Aviemore.
    Give them a try!! you'll be amazed

Malkypaul
  • I've used one for UK accomodation, for example, attending conferences or short breaks - it's called homestayfriend.com. I had excellent service from the company owner and as it's a startup, you get a lot of attention and service.

I'm interested in trying the US ones too!
  • Frugaloo wrote: »
    I've couchsurfed a few times (there's a website - couchsurfing - but I can't post a link as a newbie). It's great to meet the locals, be shown the non touristy places. Hosting's good fun too. No money can change hands, so it's not a money-spinner. Great way to go visiting on a shoe string.

(Be nice please, I'm new :) )

I'm a couchsurfing host and it works very well, though be aware that hosts in desirable destinations may be snowed under with requests. (I know a lot of hosts in London have given up because they were getting requests every day of the year.) I have met a wide range of interesting people, and one day I hope to be able to visit them in return. The site has pretty good controls and advice to keep you safe, and there are even some couchsurfing families.
  • tejsmith
    tejsmith Posts: 123
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    We have rented out our spare room in London for nearly a year through Crashpadder, Airbnb etc and love it! It's helpful to have the extra money coming in (although we are one of the cheapest in London) and it's great meeting new people. We've had some really interesting people come to stay. We 'vet' them by reading their profile and introductory message to us. It's far from foolproof but so far we haven't had anyone we wouldn't have back. :)
  • coolcaravans
    coolcaravans Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 11 January 2012 at 6:44PM
    We have recently listed our beachside caravan in Norfolk with Airbnb. Someone mentioned the key is to take great photos. However, I was surprised to see that Airbnb will provide a local photographer free, to take photos for you. After listing our place, I clicked a button to take them up on this offer. I was contacted by a photographer from the area, who came out to take brilliant photos which are now uploaded onto the site. It looks great!
  • businka
    businka Posts: 71 Forumite
    sarahemmm wrote: »
    I'm a couchsurfing host and it works very well, though be aware that hosts in desirable destinations may be snowed under with requests. (I know a lot of hosts in London have given up because they were getting requests every day of the year.) I have met a wide range of interesting people, and one day I hope to be able to visit them in return. The site has pretty good controls and advice to keep you safe, and there are even some couchsurfing families.

Can you please post the website here? I am thinking about becoming a host, as I live in York..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure