IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How to wire thermostat to boiler ???
Closed Thread
Views: 36,733
# 1
wilt44
Old 17-01-2007, 8:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default How to wire thermostat to boiler ???

I wonder if somebody can help me. I have a Worcester 24i junior boiler. I have recently purchased a Danfoss RMT 230 thermostat. I need to be able to connect them but don't have the slighest clue where to start. Could anybody give me some advice on what wire i requie and also how I wire the thermostat to the boiler.

Any help will be much appreciated.
# 2
Russ66
Old 17-01-2007, 8:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Adding one from scratch is a lot more technical than replacing one, and unless you are a competant electrician then you probably should not attempt it yourself.

Some good advice can be had @:

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbull...splay.php?f=13

Or

http://www.diynot.com/pages/pl/

HTH
You're Damned If You Do & You're Damned If You Don't
# 3
HugoSP
Old 17-01-2007, 9:01 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Often with things like this the company's own technical help line (which may consist of one hairy arsed and knowlegable plumber/technician) may be a good source of information.

My guess is that there will be a link in a wired panel on the boiler that will need to be removed. This will be between what will be permanent and switched lives.

The installation instructions on the boiler should steer you in the right direction but I would contact the company anyway.
Behind every great man is a good woman

Beside this ordinary man is a great woman
£2 savings jar - now at £3.42
# 4
baldelectrician
Old 17-01-2007, 9:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Worcester boilers are a doddle to wire. The instructions in the book will tell what goes where.

Remember if you wire it wrong you could blow the PCB, which is slightly costly.
# 5
wilt44
Old 17-01-2007, 10:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert

had a look in the Worcester booklet and it hasnt nothing in there.All it has with the thermostat is a diagram of the wiring no explanation of wher on the boiler to attach this to.
# 6
silvercar
Old 17-01-2007, 11:16 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I had a danfoss room thermostat installed today! engineer charged me £60 labour, job took about 1.5 hours (including fixing a leaky rad valve in nearby radiator). if you don't know what your doing i would call in an expert.
# 7
baldelectrician
Old 17-01-2007, 11:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

http://worcesterbosch.co.uk/index.ph...6&from_id=5029

Go to link above

Click on:
Installation and servicing instructions 8 716 112 054
Page 28 of pdf (27 of book)

All you ever wished to know but were afraid to ask
# 8
ajbaker
Old 18-01-2007, 11:53 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I have the same boiler. Installation of the thermostat is not too much of a problem; the hard part is simply getting the case of in order to connect the wires to the circuit board.

The link above doesn't seem to have the document the poster was referring to, which is strange given that I know the document was there recently. You should have received a copy of the Installation guide with your boiler (it's NOT the User Instruction book) - I think the installer is obliged to leave it with you.

In this booklet it gives instructions on removing the casing (fixing in reverse), locating the wiring positions, and which terminals to connect the two wires to. Instructions with your thermostat will indicate which wire to connect to the two terminals.

Without the document to hand though its difficult to give any more info.
# 9
courtjester
Old 20-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

It has to be said that, quite apart from the recent changes in building regs which make it illegal to carry out electrical work if you are not competent and qualified, if you don't know what you are doing, you should not be undertaking electrical wiring anyway ...

Remember that central heating wiring runs on mains voltage.
# 10
Nobleck
Old 20-01-2007, 2:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

A Gorgi Registered Engineer should be the only person changing the thermostat. Not an Electrician and certainly not a DIYer.
# 11
greyteam1959
Old 20-01-2007, 3:02 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

You dont need to be Corgi registered to change a room thermostat.
You do need to be an electrician
# 12
ajbaker
Old 20-01-2007, 3:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Has the world gone mad?! At what point were the only people able to change a thermostat Corgi registered? Are you suggesting a qualified electrcian is not capable because they do not have a Corgi certificate also? Of course not. Does one have to be a certificiated electrcian to modify anything electrical in a house? Of course not.

I'm not suggesting the regulations do not have there place, but they do seem to be written on the assumption everyone is stupid. They then go on to assume by passing an exam (and paying a fee) one is suddenly capable.

I have no doubt some people would be better employing a tradesman to do such work (note I do not use the terms professional, qualified, certified etc.) However because one needs to post a question here does not mean they are in that category. If I remember correctly the terminals in the boiler are not labelled, which means the installation manual is essential regardless of ability.
# 13
baldelectrician
Old 20-01-2007, 4:15 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobleck
A Gorgi Registered Engineer should be the only person changing the thermostat. Not an Electrician and certainly not a DIYer.
Is there a new regulatory system called Gorgi ?

Never heard as much sheeeeet in my life. I spent a good part of my trade wiring central heating systems. I have a good knowlege of gas and all related stuff. I don't touch gas pipes, and anything like that. I am not corgi registered but I am not breaking the law by connecting in a stat or time clock into a boiler.

You need to be corgi registered to work on gas specific items (for example I won't take the boiler apart to get into anything other than electrical stuff)

As I said earlier, don't fiddle about with electics on a boiler unless you know what you are getting.

Last edited by baldelectrician; 20-01-2007 at 9:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to baldelectrician For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Russ66
Old 20-01-2007, 5:33 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldelectrician
As I said earlier, don't fiddle about with electics on a boiler unless you know what you are getting.
I have to agree with Baldy here.

I remember when I replaced mine; I tested for an electricity feed with my screwdriver tester, no power, happy days, touched the wire and had a shock that blew me off my beer crate!!

I'd forgotten to test the bulb in my screwdriver.
You're Damned If You Do & You're Damned If You Don't
# 15
Nobleck
Old 20-01-2007, 11:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

What i was really getting at, was how would an inexperienced person know that the stat was the problem. IMHO a gas engineer would be much better to use than anyother trade. Just in case.
# 16
baldelectrician
Old 21-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have been called out a few times last year to boiler faults when a heating engineer told the customer to get an electician as he couldn't trace the fault.
# 17
robby-01
Old 21-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Engineers build bridges.
Were did this myth come from that a Plumber with a bit of paper that says he can work on gas is an engineer.
Brunel was an engineer some bloke with corgi written on his van is not.
The Following User Says Thank You to robby-01 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
espresso
Old 21-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
What i was really getting at, was how would an inexperienced person know that the stat was the problem. IMHO a gas engineer would be much better to use than anyother trade. Just in case.
You really should not bother to post your pathetic comments, if you haven't read the whole thread!

:rolleyes:

The OP is fitting a new room stat to a system that does not have one. What has that got to do with Corgi?

# 19
Nobleck
Old 21-01-2007, 3:38 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Please accept my apologies in that case. I thought he was on about the stat in the boiler. SORRY.
# 20
Nobleck
Old 21-01-2007, 5:50 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You will need some 3 core and earth cable, as you will require a neutral in order for the shunt resistor in the stat to operate properly.
Inside the boiler(electric compartment) there may be a couple of terminals labelled T1+T2, if you do not have a stat already you should see a cable link between T1+T2, this is where the live and switch live would connect from the Thermostat to the boiler, the neutral connects to the neutral (black or blue cable propably labelled as N.
Hope this response helps you out, as i seem to have misinterpretted your question and peed a few people off with my previous responses. Sorry bout that
The Following User Says Thank You to Nobleck For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread