Is NHS dental work guaranteed?

Options
Hi,

Just has a crown fitted, gold crown on lower molar. After cementing the crown was high, and the dentist adjusted/ground down the crown. The amount taken off the crown, results in a white patch showing through (which I assume is tooth). If this gets worse, am I able to go back to the dentist for retreatment, or do I need to pay again?

Comments

• brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Options
    All nhs work is guaranteed for a year providing it is replaced with exactly the same thing, by the same dentist and the work was advised (ie dentist advised a crown and patient asked for filling instead then filling is not guaranteed.)
  • jase_31
    Options
    Is it acceptable for a new crown to have be ground down, with natural tooth exposed? At what stage would this become a issue that required a replacement?
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,075 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Personally, I would say no.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • welshdent
    welshdent Posts: 1,991 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In normal circumstances I would say no too ... from the perspective of grinding through to the tooth underneath. Sometimes we do need to ease them down a little thought.
  • welshdent
    Options
    bridgework and dentures are NOT covered by the guarantee by the way
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    brook2jack wrote: »
    All nhs work is guaranteed for a year providing it is replaced with exactly the same thing, by the same dentist and the work was advised (ie dentist advised a crown and patient asked for filling instead then filling is not guaranteed.)

Bit tricky if your dentist has cleared off back to South Africa or Poland.;)
  • welshdent
    Options
    that sadly is a failing of the system so I would suggest mentioning that to your MP
  • boo-hoo
    boo-hoo Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I had a filling less than a year ago. It has now come out and the Dentist says I have to have a crown or possibly onlay. I have read that fillings are guaranteed for a year therefore does anyone know if the money I paid for the filling can be deducted from the new charges I am about to incur. Thanks in advance
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Options
    No you will have to pay the whole of the band three charge if you are in England or Wales. Different charges apply in NI and Scotland.

Guarantees only apply if exactly the same treatment is carried out by the same dentist, so if the filling was replaced by the same filling you wouldn't have to pay.
  • j1971
    Options
    can anyone tell me how long NHS crowns are under warrenty for? I had a crown fitted feb/march this year and it has come loose 3 times. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure