Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning > To defer or not to defer RAF Preserved Pension (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
To defer or not to defer RAF Preserved Pension
Closed Thread
Views: 1,474
# 1
BigglesFliesAgain
Old 13-09-2011, 2:48 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Question To defer or not to defer RAF Preserved Pension

I was 60 yo in May this year. I served 12 years in the RAF between 1969 and 1981. I have a preserved pension which I am now able to claim. 11,000 lump sum tax free + 4000 per year for life + 50% widows pension.

If I take the pension now I will pay 40% tax on the annual 4000. I could use some of it to invest in my current works pension which is a money purchase salary sacrifice scheme but in the current economic climate I don't really want to invest any more in pensions. I am fully funded in Cash ISAs but don't fancy Investment ISAs at the moment.

If I defer my pension, the lump sum and the pension does not earn interest, however, it does retain it's index linking.

If I defer it for 5 years until I'm 65, the lump sum of 11000 + 5 x 4000 will be paid and then continue at 4000+ per year index linked.

My question is this.
If I defer this pension, when the 5 x 4000 is taken, will I be liable to tax at 40% as if it had been paid at the time that it could originally have been taken. In other words, will HMRC see this as deliberate tax avoidance by me failing to claim the pension and therefore pay 40% tax on it.

I am currently over the tax threshold of 40% by about 1500.
# 2
atush
Old 13-09-2011, 3:08 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I would assume that the 5x4000 will be taxed at the rate you are at in the year it is paid (ie lower I assume), which would mean a tax saving?
# 3
Loughton Monkey
Old 13-09-2011, 3:45 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

It is normally best to take a Final Salary pension at the 'Normal Retirement Age'.

Leaving it 'deferred' is (in a sense) continuing to invest in a pension. Hence personally I think I would take it, and allay the 40% tax by throwing it into the current pension. The lump sum can go into Cash ISA's [if there's room].
# 4
kidmugsy
Old 14-09-2011, 12:30 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Salary sacrifice is pretty profitable: to spurn it seems, as Sir Humphrey would have said, "courageous".
Closed Thread