Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    BigglesFliesAgain
    To defer or not to defer RAF Preserved Pension
    • 13th Sep 11, 2:48 PM
    To defer or not to defer RAF Preserved Pension 13th Sep 11 at 2:48 PM
    I was 60 yo in May this year. I served 12 years in the RAF between 1969 and 1981. I have a preserved pension which I am now able to claim. 11,000 lump sum tax free + 4000 per year for life + 50% widows pension.

If I take the pension now I will pay 40% tax on the annual 4000. I could use some of it to invest in my current works pension which is a money purchase salary sacrifice scheme but in the current economic climate I don't really want to invest any more in pensions. I am fully funded in Cash ISAs but don't fancy Investment ISAs at the moment.

If I defer my pension, the lump sum and the pension does not earn interest, however, it does retain it's index linking.

If I defer it for 5 years until I'm 65, the lump sum of 11000 + 5 x 4000 will be paid and then continue at 4000+ per year index linked.

My question is this.
    If I defer this pension, when the 5 x 4000 is taken, will I be liable to tax at 40% as if it had been paid at the time that it could originally have been taken. In other words, will HMRC see this as deliberate tax avoidance by me failing to claim the pension and therefore pay 40% tax on it.

I am currently over the tax threshold of 40% by about 1500.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

406Posts Today

2,274Users online

Martin's Twitter