Aa home emergency care - is it worth it ?

Options
My Wife is trying to talk me into taking out the AA home emergency policy , the one John Cleese advertises on the telly . At £5.99 a month , is this a good deal ??

Comments

• eilidh_s
    eilidh_s Posts: 254 Forumite
    Options
    I have an RBS Royalties account which automatically covers you for £500 of home emergency assistance. I have just had a flood in my home from a faulty toilet and I am back living with my parents until it dries out but I didn't even think about calling them. Managed to deal with the flood by myself, got the water and the electric off, had some major hysterics and then all my friends rallied around and helped me clear up. I now just have to go home every few hours and empty the bucket behind the dehumidfier. Anyway, my point is check and see what your home insurance covers, then your bank account etc and see if it's worth it.

I was tempted by the policy myself but then I looked into it and weighed it up with the excess on my house insurance and what actually constitutes an emergency as far as they are concerned and decided not to bother. If yo have a well maintained home and are on top of any small niggles and problems then you shouldn't need it and if you do have an emergency then your home insurance should cover it because it will probably be something major.
  • iamcornholio
    Options
    These policies are notoriously lacking in clarity in terms of what you are and are not covered for, and have many "get out clauses".

So check and compare the different schemes thoroughly.

I know that for the ones which have a cost limit for certain types of repair, you tend to find that their contractor magically manages to exceed the limit and you can end up paying the contractor hundreds of pounds because the policy only pays up to a certain amount - and you meet the rest out of your own pocket
  • qz835t
    qz835t Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 8 September 2011 at 12:18PM
    Options
    My Wife is trying to talk me into taking out the AA home emergency policy , the one John Cleese advertises on the telly . At £5.99 a month , is this a good deal ??

A leaking toilet recently caused a major flood in my home (around 1000 gallons of water). My friend (who is NOT a plumber) discovered the leak & turned off the water at the main stopcock. I have Direct Line Home Emergency 250 cover but when she contacted DL on my behalf they asked her if there was another toilet in the property & if there was drinking water TO the property. Because she replied yes to these questions – undoubtedly in a considerable state of panic – DL refused to come out & are refusing to cover the repairs under the policy because they say it is “no longer an emergency”.
    I am astounded at this & despite repeatedly trying to explain to them that once the water is turned off there is no drinking water IN the property and any number of additional toilets are of little use when there is no water...
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    I used to have one of these 'Helpline" policies which came with our content insurance some years ago. When we had a flood, I rang them and all they were interested in was getting my credit card details.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure