Anyone tried the Eco Egg?

Options
Woody's_Girl
Woody's_Girl Posts: 53 Forumite
edited 31 July 2012 at 8:29PM in Green & ethical MoneySaving
http://www.ecoeggonline.com/

It seems like a no brainer, better for the environment and a money saver. Has anyone tried it?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    http://www.ecoeggonline.com/

It seems like a no brainer, better for the environment and a money saver. Has anyone tried it?
    No, love the science though ... "Our own scientific testing shows that these two types of pellets used together give the best cleaning results." .... compared to what ?, glass beads, mud, tar or what ..... wonder what independent testing would say ?.

I reckon that any heavy but smooth/soft object such a large river pebble tied in a thick towelling sock would have a similar effect.

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    I reckon that any heavy but smooth/soft object such a large river pebble tied in a thick towelling sock would have a similar effect.

HTH
    Z

Especially if it was a green coloured pebble and a green coloured sock!
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My OH just ordered one last night funnily enough, I'm not convinced but since he's paying thought well give it a go.... but it'll be going back if it doesn't do what it says on the tin...
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 August 2011 at 3:22PM
    Options
    A good eco friendly alternative to washing powder are soap nuts.

washing What Are Soap Nuts?
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    I had a look at the page, How does the Ecoegg work? (http://www.ecoeggonline.com/index.php?page=work) but that seems to contain nothing more than pseudo-scientific BS. Oddly enough their PR agency (http://www.highlightpr.co.uk/highlight-pr-hired-to-promote-ecoegg/) is more straightforward; "the Ecoegg uses ceramic pellets and sodium bicarbonate to wash clothes". So baking soda and some small stones then.

From the looks of things this is just another one of those 'magic' laundry balls that crop up from time to time. There's an old article on the Straight Dope (http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/944/do-laundry-balls-really-work) on the subject that dates back to 1997 which contains references to previous generations of products that featured similar sounding BS about "activated ceramics" and "ionized oxygen", so there's nothing really new here.

I imagine that the previous suggestion of putting some small stones in a sock and sticking that in the washing machine probably would have much the same effect, particularly if you added some baking soda into the sock as well.
  • john_hammond
    Options
    Hi all,

I own a small organic/eco friendly store in Brighton.

We looked at stocking the Ecoegg a few months ago and I was very sceptical at first. However, I looked into it and the company does have a lot of very scientific lab testing which proves that it does work and remove dirt and grime and all that stuff.

So I decided to give it a go and stock it. I took just 6 units to begin with and they flew out! I have increased my order every month since.

Quite a few customers have come back and told me how good it is. We sold a similar product before a few years ago but had lots of complaints about that - this does seem to be different. We now use it at home and have been very impressed.

Anyway, that's my two-penneth worth! Hope it helps someone.

Best,
    John.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    keith_r59 wrote: »

Well - that's a really reliable source !!
  • keith_r59
    keith_r59 Posts: 255 Forumite
    Options
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    Well - that's a really reliable source !!

No more or less reliable than anything you will read on here about the product I would suggest.

I would have added an exclamation mark but you appear to have used them all up. :D
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bought one recently and used it for two washes (one colours, one whites). so far, works as well as non-biological powder. there is a draw back because it recommends that you don't use a wash with the eco water setting. so that's not ideal. but my washing machine isn't terrible for water usage even on the main cycle (and practically, it does make the wash a lot quicker!). i've used it without any softener, just to see (which also means i can stick towels in with other clothes, so a bonus) and it's actually pretty good. i'm convinced by it! (i don't know how it would do for things like grass stains, but i'd always add in a stain removed for that so would probably do that with the ecoegg).

(and after looking around, i ordered from QVC since they give a 30 day money back guarantee plus give cashback on Quidco - just in case that's useful for anyone else!)
    :happyhear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport