Rover 25 Head Gasket Failure

Options
Can anyone advise me please. I have just bought the Rover 25 IS 16v X Reg with 75K on the clock. When I reached home and checked the water thingy, it was empty and looks like an oily residue in the bottom of the chamber. Also when checking the dipstick, it does seem a bit light coloured to the usual darkness of the oil and yes I know I should have checked these things before I bought the car but my only defence is that I am a middle aged menopausal women and was under the impression that I was a good judge of character and the seller appeared upfront and honest.....a definite lesson learnt! The temperature gauge stays mid point and does not go up so I assume the car is not overheating although when I go under the bonnet, the engine does seem hot. Also there is a light on on the dash (engine management light???). The car runs perfectly ok and starts 1st time. My question is:- is this definitely a head gasket fault or could it be the Inlet Manifold Gasket. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated and if anyone wants to have a look, at my expense, that would be very welcome. I live in Potters Bar, Herts just off the M25

Comments

• Frank_Force
    Options
    I hope you didn't pay much for the car. :)
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    Options
    If the car has done nothing but short journeys, this can cause it but doesn't mean there is anything wrong. A car that has had regular oil changes should have an oil that is a light clear colour. Its only neglected cars and diesels that have dark brown or black oil when you check it.

The dash warning light might be due to low water level. It won't be the inlet manifold gasket.

Top up the water, take it to a garage and get them to do a sniff test. That will tell them if there are any exhaust gases in the water which will indicate a blown headgasket. If that comes out clear, get an oil and coolant change and take the car for a good run.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    catgalore wrote: »
    Can anyone advise me please. I have just bought the Rover 25 IS 16v X Reg with 75K on the clock. When I reached home and checked the water thingy, it was empty and looks like an oily residue in the bottom of the chamber. Also when checking the dipstick, it does seem a bit light coloured to the usual darkness of the oil and yes I know I should have checked these things before I bought the car but my only defence is that I am a middle aged menopausal women and was under the impression that I was a good judge of character and the seller appeared upfront and honest.....a definite lesson learnt! The temperature gauge stays mid point and does not go up so I assume the car is not overheating although when I go under the bonnet, the engine does seem hot. Also there is a light on on the dash (engine management light???). The car runs perfectly ok and starts 1st time. My question is:- is this definitely a head gasket fault or could it be the Inlet Manifold Gasket. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated and if anyone wants to have a look, at my expense, that would be very welcome. I live in Potters Bar, Herts just off the M25

Its likely that if the head gasket isnt failed, then its on its way out.

personally i'd stick some of this into it...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270688308896?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_768wt_905

I've just used it on a 98 astra and it seems to work - the car was previously running rough and mixing oil and water. It gets very positive reviews online.

Heres it being discussed on an MG Forum...

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=173901

Heres it on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqfp3PFJQJk
  • pendulum
    pendulum Posts: 2,302 Forumite
    Options
    It's a Rover. If you think of the worst thing that could be wrong with it, you'll never go far wrong. They're cheap to buy (because they're so rubbish and noone wants them) and expensive to run.

If you paid around the going rate for one of thee (£400) then it's not so bad; you won't lose too much when you scrap it if it is the headgasket.
  • split_second
    split_second Posts: 2,761 Forumite
    Options
    k series engines have a reputation for blowing head gaskets for fun
    Who remembers when X Factor was just Roman suncream?
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Pendulum - a ridiculous sweeping statement! We've had 3 Rovers and our last Rover 400 has just died at 12 years old with nothing more than routine stuff in the 9 years we had it - exhausts, brakes etc. It was well serviced and maintained and was the most reliable car we've had! The OH has just bought another one - fingers crossed it's as good though!

You can be unlucky with any car, regardless of make, so to say they're all rubbish is a bit silly!

OP - the K seal does get good reviews but IMO, there's nowt like a proper repair. If it is the head gasket, budget for about £250-£300 for the repair (what I was quoted on ours, NW England) though I guess it may be a bit more down south...
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    k series engines have a reputation for blowing head gaskets for fun

You'll be telling us the Pope is Catholic next :)
  • Hoof_Hearted
    Hoof_Hearted Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Rovers are notorious for head gasket failure. There is a lot of labour involved in the replacement, so it is an expensive repair and will probably cost more than the car is worth. Menopausal women should take a big hairy-ar*sed non-menopausal man or woman with them when buying a car. If you take the oil filler cap off and there is a lot of gungey froth in the cap, it is probably the gasket. I would take it back and cry a lot -- the seller is obviously a complete git.
    Je suis sabot...
  • split_second
    split_second Posts: 2,761 Forumite
    Options
    flashg67 wrote: »
    You'll be telling us the Pope is Catholic next :)
    haha anyone would think that i grew up around rovers :rotfl:

i nearly bought a 20k mile 25 1.4 a couple of years back, decided i didnt like it but cant remember why. pretty certain various head gasket repairs have been done on my mum and dad's driveway with various combinations of swearing from my dad :rotfl:
    Who remembers when X Factor was just Roman suncream?
  • red_eye
    red_eye Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hammyman wrote: »
    A car that has had regular oil changes should have an oil that is a light clear colour. Its only neglected cars and diesels that have dark brown or black oil when you check it.
    only if you change the oil evey half mile
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport