Tesco offer - Thomas pans

Options
Has anyone bought any of these pans yet and if so, what is your opinion of them?

I've been looking at the 4.7 litre casserole pan. The size looks good for when I do maybe 3 shepherd's pie bases with mince, onion and carrot (or maybe mince, onion, mushroom & tomatoes).

But I'm not 100% convinced about the quality.
I've read that the handles can get really hot.

I have a massive stock pot (24 cm 9.5 litres) by Horwood that I paid £28 for (half price) from Alders almost 10 years ago which is great for big batches of chilli & Bolognaise, it's been really good.

I don't want to waste £17.99 if they're not good quality.

Thanks

Comments

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    s this has dropped down the board, ive moved it to I wanna as you may get some input over here

Zip :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• bcl999
    bcl999 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    I have to agree with your doubts about quality. When I read the leaflet they were handing out, I saw the pots are only guarantedd 2 years. Surely with some of them supposedly costing £60 - £70 full price, we could expect a longer guarantee? I actually had one in my trolley in Tesco this morning and then changed my mind when I got to the till.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    bcl999 wrote: »
    I have to agree with your doubts about quality. When I read the leaflet they were handing out, I saw the pots are only guarantedd 2 years. Surely with some of them supposedly costing £60 - £70 full price, we could expect a longer guarantee? I actually had one in my trolley in Tesco this morning and then changed my mind when I got to the till.

Huge thanks for pointing this out, I'd missed it on the leaflet.

My Horwood pan has a 10 year guarantee.

I've decided not to bother with this offer, I think I'll be better looking out in kitchen shops in the 'outlet' style places or maybe in Department store sales, but for now I can still use my big 9.5 litre stock pan.

These Thomas pans are on sale from Tesco Direct at the RRP shown on the leaflet though.

I've noticed that these vouchers are being sold on Ebay!
  • bcl999
    Options
    Glad I could be of some help.
  • QUEEN_BEE_3
    Options
    Hi,
    Im new to this so excuse mistakes. I have bought every pan in the range apart from stock pot. I havent spent 1,200 pound which is how much it would have cost to collect enough but i asked friends to pass on their vouchers if they didnt want them so probably didnt spend much myself.
    The pans are great i needed a new set so this was an ideal way of doing it so far im really pleased with them.
    I have noticed many people have had a negative reaction to the offer i dont understand this as if you dont think its worth it dont collect vouchers, its not compulsory.
    As for me im very happy. :)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    QUEEN_BEE wrote: »
    Hi,
    Im new to this so excuse mistakes. I have bought every pan in the range apart from stock pot. I havent spent 1,200 pound which is how much it would have cost to collect enough but i asked friends to pass on their vouchers if they didnt want them so probably didnt spend much myself.
    The pans are great i needed a new set so this was an ideal way of doing it so far im really pleased with them.
    I have noticed many people have had a negative reaction to the offer i dont understand this as if you dont think its worth it dont collect vouchers, its not compulsory.
    As for me im very happy. :)

Of course it's not compulsory to collect the vouchers.

I did start collecting them, did some research about the quality and decided not to bother.

Is there anything wrong with that?
    That's not being negative, it's being savvy and not just jumping in with both feet because it looks a good deal.

FWIW, after checking them out in my local Tesco (which I hadn't done when I first started this thread) they do not look as good quality as my Horwood stockpot, which has had a lot of use since I bought it in January 2002 and is still within guarantee - which the Thomas pans wouldn't have been.

I've passed all my vouchers onto friends to use - if they decide it's worth it.
  • Minchkin
    Options
    Hi there, thanks for the information on this topic. I have also considered these, they look good, especially the larger pans, one thing I did realise though, the only non stick ones are the fry pans. That worrys me a bit, as my current ones are. Has anybody actually used them, I know they look good. Thanks again for your help
  • bcl999
    Options
    Other than a frying pan, I prefer plain stainless steel pans to those with a non-stick coating. I like to clean pans with a wire scourer but with the non-stick you've got to use only non-scratch scourers and I find they don't always do a very good job.
  • renegade
    renegade Posts: 1,282 Forumite
    Options
    bcl999 wrote: »
    Other than a frying pan, I prefer plain stainless steel pans to those with a non-stick coating. I like to clean pans with a wire scourer but with the non-stick you've got to use only non-scratch scourers and I find they don't always do a very good job.
    I bought small non stick milk pans from Tesco @ £2.50 each, as they don't have the 'lip' on them I use them as saucepans, they don't need to be scrubbed with anything because nothing sticks! Great bargain, I got 3 and very MSE.
    You live..You learn.:)
  • BonandDom
    BonandDom Posts: 497 Forumite
    Options
    I desperately needed some new pans, so have bought the small one x 2, the large one x 1 and the stock pot.

As far as the handles getting hot, I've not had an experience of this, yet.

They are in regular use now and seem to be very good.

I'm happy with my purchase as a similar quality pan set would have cost me more that the £40 odd I spent.

As I shop in Tesco's for my main shopping the vouchers were 'free' to me and I found that towards the end of the promotion the CS's were not counting the vouchers out, just giving me a handful with each weekly shop!!
    Light travels faster than sound - that's why you can see someone who looks bright until they open their mouth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure