🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Best place to buy Turkish Lira?

Options
Is the post office the best place to buy Turkish Lira? (I only need about £200 worth).

Thanks in advance if you can help.

Comments

• PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Buy it cash on arrival. There are plenty of dovis (exchange offices).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you can wait after arriving in Turkey, buy your liras in town, not at the airport or the hotel. Usually bad rates.
  • stephb34
    stephb34 Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The post office is probably about the worst place on the high street to buy currency unless you pre order on the internet or want either £500+ or £1000+.
  • SteveJW
    SteveJW Posts: 716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In Turkey at the moment, two nights ago we got 2.89TL to the pound, dropped slightly to 2.87TL to the pound
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 August 2011 at 7:31PM
    Options
    I am going next month and plan to buy in the resort as I am told it is a better rate.
  • Sunny_Saver
    Sunny_Saver Posts: 3,045 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Am bit peed off. I got an email from MSE today saying that Travelex was having a flash sale at 11am on Wednesday for Turkish Lira. As I wasn't around, I asked OH to buy some.

It doesn't appear as if this was a special rate at all: it was 2.83, which isn't the best rate at all. So rather disappointed that Travelex misinformed MSE and that OH didn't really know what he was doing.
    “It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • Moomum
    Moomum Posts: 958 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry if this is something you already know but we found we got much better prices in Turkey when we used Stirling
  • stephb34
    stephb34 Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Am bit peed off. I got an email from MSE today saying that Travelex was having a flash sale at 11am on Wednesday for Turkish Lira. As I wasn't around, I asked OH to buy some.

It doesn't appear as if this was a special rate at all: it was 2.83, which isn't the best rate at all. So rather disappointed that Travelex misinformed MSE and that OH didn't really know what he was doing.

2.83 is an excellent rate in the uk where could you get it better and what rate was it?
  • interstellaflyer
    Options
    natmid wrote: »
    Sorry if this is something you already know but we found we got much better prices in Turkey when we used Stirling

Agreed, no need to buy lira until you get there and we found most places, especially in the big resort areas would take Stirling and Euros and yes they will often do a better deal for stirling.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport