Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Asaad
    • By Asaad 18th Aug 11, 6:06 AM
    • 73Posts
    • 218Thanks
    Asaad
    0 WOW
    Tracking software for phones and laptops
    • 18th Aug 11, 6:06 AM
    0 WOW
    Tracking software for phones and laptops 18th Aug 11 at 6:06 AM
    i came across some software which tracks your laptop if it's ever stolen. I have installed on my PC and it seems great. Its called prey project, i wanted to know what people think of it. It works for some mobiles too.

Also i come across some software which blackberry give away free and have installed on all new devices (e.g. bold 9900) which is called blackberry protect. You can install it from the bb app world. Again this is brilliant because this program allows you to locate you phone from your laptop, send messages to it, lock it, delete data from it etc.. You can even make it sound an alarm so if u misplace it, u can make it alarm all from ur laptop (even when silent)

http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/protect/

Official MoneySavingExpert insert: We’ve been in touch with Prey and it says the software is free and will remain so, though, if you want to protect more than three devices, you’ll have to upgrade to a ‘pro’ account. Thanks to Asaad for posting.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 27-01-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Page 1
  • Lemon Labs
    • 19th Aug 11, 9:40 AM
    • 19th Aug 11, 9:40 AM
    Thanks.

If you have a Samsung phone on Android then checkout samsungdive it's the best traking software for phones I have used. It's better than most because the tracking software is actually embeded in the phone and isn't installed via an app.
    • geordie_ben
    • By geordie_ben 19th Aug 11, 1:32 PM
    • 3,089 Posts
    • 9,120 Thanks
    geordie_ben
    • 19th Aug 11, 1:32 PM
    • 19th Aug 11, 1:32 PM
    I have Anti DT on my Android HTC Desire... seems to work pretty well
    Remember, remember, REMEMBER cashback and discount codes!
    Officially Debt Free as of 25/03/11
    • epm-84
    • By epm-84 19th Aug 11, 4:25 PM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 4,264 Thanks
    epm-84
    • 19th Aug 11, 4:25 PM
    • 19th Aug 11, 4:25 PM
    Doesn't the phone or laptop need to be turned on to work?
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 27th Apr 13, 1:19 PM
    • 11,924 Posts
    • 38,626 Thanks
    sarah1972
    • 27th Apr 13, 1:19 PM
    • 27th Apr 13, 1:19 PM
    still available http://preyproject.com/

Prey lets you keep track of your laptop, phone and tablet whenever stolen or missing easily and all in one place. It's lightweight, open source software that gives you full and remote control, 24/7.

How it works
    Basically you install a tiny agent in your PC or phone, which silently waits for a remote signal to wake up and work its magic.

This signal is sent either from the Internet or through an SMS message, and allows you to gather information regarding the device's location, hardware and network status, and optionally trigger specific actions on it
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • Derk
    • 1st May 13, 7:55 PM
    • 1st May 13, 7:55 PM
    You can get the same tracking functions from the AVGFREE Antivirus app; PLUS you get anti-virus protection for your phone.
    • xgingerx
    • By xgingerx 2nd May 13, 9:15 AM
    • 579 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    xgingerx
    • 2nd May 13, 9:15 AM
    • 2nd May 13, 9:15 AM
    if your laptop or phone is stolen, they would format all data so really don't see the point in this to be honest.
    Dmp Mutual Support thread member No 82
  • margy
    • 2nd May 13, 11:12 AM
    • 2nd May 13, 11:12 AM
    i agree they if the phone / laptop is stolen they would format them, it happened to my i pad i had find my i pad / i phone installed and it was not traceable
    • charlieheard
    • By charlieheard 6th May 13, 3:03 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    charlieheard
    • 6th May 13, 3:03 PM
    • 6th May 13, 3:03 PM
    If you've got an iOS device (iPhone, Ipod, iPad), you can install the "Find my iPhone" app, which does much the same. You can get the device to display messages, and even wipe it remotely if you're worried.
    Jumbo

"You may have speed, but I have momentum"
    • RachyD
    • By RachyD 15th May 13, 8:07 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    RachyD
    Amazing, thank you!
    • stefano
    • By stefano 6th Jun 13, 9:16 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    stefano
    The big question really is: does preyproject.com/ really work?
    Has anyone have first hand experience?
  • buff-tom
    Preyproject was featured on a program on bbc1 a couple of months ago after it was used to successfully find and record evidence and led to conviction of the laptop thief so yes it works.
    • stefano
    • By stefano 16th Oct 13, 8:20 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    stefano
    Preyproject was featured on a program on bbc1 a couple of months ago after it was used to successfully find and record evidence and led to conviction of the laptop thief so yes it works.
    Originally posted by buff-tom
    I must have missed the program, but thanks, I will try looking online.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 27th Jan 16, 11:13 AM
    • 8,093 Posts
    • 19,994 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Prey was featured in a BBC Click programme after it was used to recover a stolen laptop.

The basic version is still free.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • dobbiesloan
    • By dobbiesloan 27th Jan 16, 5:54 PM
    • 1,442 Posts
    • 2,365 Thanks
    dobbiesloan
    Forgot I had this rubbish on my old laptop. Says I can have 20 devices registered (I only have 3) When I try to sign in it says my account is valid but no available slots are left.
    GONE ENGLAND
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

275Posts Today

2,246Users online

Martin's Twitter