Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > How to calculate my Eon gas in summer? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How to calculate my Eon gas in summer?
Closed Thread
Views: 364
# 1
Candy53
Old 17-08-2011, 9:57 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default How to calculate my Eon gas in summer?

Hi,

As Eon have a high rate of gas at 2680, I don't know how to calculate it say in the summer when our usage is low.

For instance, if we only use 300kwhs over a quarter, say 85 days, the high rate comes to 624kwhs. So when your usage is low is there another way to calculate it?

Also, we have an old gas back boiler, and only use it at the moment to heat water up, for 45 mins, every other day. The pilot light of course is on all the time, but after we moved house we had to get into line with everyone else, so the bill we've just got has spanned over 129 days, and we used 665kwhs. It averages out at 5.15kwhs per day. Does this sound alot?

Thanx,
Candy
'What goes around, comes around'
# 2
insanegloss
Old 18-08-2011, 5:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Their "high rate" or 1st tier is for the first 2680KwH per year, and for your bills this is done pro-rata like you describe. Using your example of an 85 day bill; the first tier amount of units will be 624kwhs, however if you use 300kwh, you only pay for 300kwh. Its only when you go over the 624kwh for that period that you would start to be charged on the second tier rate.

665 Kwh for 129 days is low, but that is to be expected at this time of the year. It's only during winter you'll be using loads more so do be prepared for that.
Ex BG complaints veteran of 6 years!
The Following User Says Thank You to insanegloss For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Candy53
Old 18-08-2011, 8:09 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Thanks alot for explaining. I'll be able to work it out now, and keep tags on my usage.

Candy
'What goes around, comes around'
Closed Thread