We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Sodium Chlorate - whats the cheapest alternative?

Options
Sodium Chlorate has been banned by the EU, but it was only £1.99 for a 500g tub which covered 70 Sq. metres of gravel driveway kept the weeds away for a year perfectly and cheaply.

The garden centres now expensive marketed brands like Roundup and products what come in a 1Ltr hand squirter at crazy prices like £5.99. This is not a practical alternative for covering a 70 Sq Metre driveway.

Does anyone know the best way for cover our deiveway that can be dispensed from a watering can? - and doesnt come with rediculous prices?

Comments

• fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,812 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Dammit, wish I'd noticed - I would have stockpiled (yeah, I know, you're not even allowed to use it now, but that wouldn't have worried me).

Glyphosate (which is what Roundup is based on) is apparently the one now recommended, though I personally don't think it's anywhere near as good for driveways.

For your area of cover, you might need to look to agricultural suppliers rather than garden centres.
  • scbk
    scbk Posts: 1,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Glyphosate only kills what it touches, so to keep an area weed free it would really have to be applied every month or so

If you're after glyphosate you'd be best off filling your own (clearly marked) bottle from someone who buys it in bulk. From what I remember the 360g/l is about £20-£25 for 1 litre or £40-£50 for 5 litres :huh:

It's normally mixed at about 100ml per 10l of water, and applied with a sprayer
  • amcluesent
    amcluesent Posts: 9,425 Forumite
    Options
    You could get a proper flamegun, it'll do the business on weeds and burn off any seeds.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What you are looking for is a residual weedkiller which leaves the poison in the ground, ready to attack pre-emergent weeds, but that''s exactly what you're not going to get now that nearly all of these have been banned.

Glyphosate only works through foliage, so you must actually have active weeds before it will work,and then it takes 2-3 weeks to show the full effects.

A flame gun is one option, but not the puny Weed Wand type, which is only handy for lighting barbecues and bonfires IMO. You would find a Sheen flame gun, costing in the region of £150, more effective.

I have lots of gravel. Rather than buy a flame gun, I spot treat with glyphosate bought in agricultual quantities about 4 or 5 times a season and live with the weeds that emerge between treatments. I'm not convinced that buying (and running) a flame gun would be more cost or time effective, but if one came up locally secondhand, I might be persuaded to buy it.

My remaining sodium chorate is reserved for the real nasties! ;)
  • manglesey25
    Options
    Dont suppose you are willing to share some of your stock? -)
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,573 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If its on a gravel driveway try salt... Cheapo supermarket brand salt.

Works wonders, I found out after sprinking a very small amount under a sunflower because it seemed home for slugs and snails.

Got up the next day and the sunflower was dying.

Just used some where i plan on putting a small ornamental pond i plan to grow cress in. Few weeds in the sandy base.
    Before adding the final layer to level everything i sprinkled some salt down and the weeds are dead already.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure