Geographic number diverted to 0845 and caller is charged!

Options
RikJ
RikJ Posts: 14 Forumite
I had to call my local Tesco last week so checked saynoto0870 to get the geographic number and dialled 01932 741400 instead of 0845 677 8999.

When my bill came through from Virgin I found there were over £3 worth of calls showing as 'Operator Connected' to 0845 677 8999 !!!

Phoned Virgin who said that the geographic number might be diverted to 0845 which is why I have been charged. I queried this and made the point that the number I dial is the number I should be billed for, otherwise what is to stop anyone diverted a geographic number to a premium rate number and making lots of money?

Surely the person diverting the call pays the rate not the caller? This is outrageous practice!

They were adamant that this practice was all fine and above board so I asked them to start their formal complaints process which I will be taking to CISAS etc.,

I've checked for other threads but can't find anything similar which is why I have started this one.

Has anyone else had an example of calling a geographic number and getting billed for a 0845 type call?

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 7 August 2011 at 8:49AM
    Options
    You're not the first to report Virgin doing this.

I agree it's outrageous and wish you well with your complaint.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,631 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I haven't come across this before, but totally agree it is outrageous and should be outlawed. Get as much as you can from them in writing about what they are doing.
    It just can't be on. We'll all set up an 0800 sex line and have it diverted to a premium rate number if that is the case!

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• jhp
    jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    Clearly Virgin Media are up to no good.

See also http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1310901185/3#3
  • victor2
    Options
    I have emailed them today via their website asking if they do this. Will be interesting to see if/how they reply.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

• RikJ
    Options
    jhp wrote: »
    Clearly Virgin Media are up to no good.

Thanks for that link, it's exactly the same am my example - I can't add a comment on the saynoto0870 forum though as registration is disabled :(

I've asked Virgin Media to respond in writing and will post any response here.
  • rfctabs
    rfctabs Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I started the thread on saynoto0870. Despite being assured by three different people in Virgin Media Customer Services that the call cost would be refunded on both the "diverted" calls to Tesco Solihull, both charges remain.

It seems to be only Tesco that's affected. I've called geographical numbers for other businesses and the call has not been charged, so maybe it's Tesco that are the driving force, or perhaps VM and Tesco are colluding in this rip-off.

My understanding is that if a number is diverted, the caller pays to call the original number, but the original number pays to call the diversion. So I pay the geographical charge to 0121, but the 0121 number pays to call 0845.

I think maybe I'll call CS again from home and ask these questions:

1. How these calls appeared on my bill when I didn't dial 0845?
    2. What does "Operator Connected" mean? If it means the operator intervened at my request to connect the call, where is the record of any such call from me to an operator?
    3. Why does the first call show no duration at all?
    4. Why are the charges on the second call calculated incorrectly (based on an update to my saynoto0870.com thread by "SilentCallsVictim")
    5. Why have previous promises to refund the calls been broken?
    6. To have the charges refunded

If this doesn't explain and resolve things, I'll email Neil Berkett, the VM CEO. It may avoid having to raise a formal complaint.
    People who cannot find time for recreation are obliged sooner or later to find time for illness ~ John Wanamaker
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    There are two aspects of this for which VM need to explain their actions.

1. The fact that your call to an 01 number was, allegedly, to an 0845 number when, demonstrably, it was not;

2. The fact that the call was charged as having been connected by the Operator when it was not.

Fraudulent would be the work I would use.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • victor2
    Options
    Got a response from Virgin which said:
    We can confirm that we charge our customers accurately as per the calls made from the Virgin phone line.

So, you have to interpret that as saying you're charged for what you dial.

• RikJ
    Options
    Got a phone call from VM today.

The VM position is that my compliant should be with Tesco as they are forwarding the calls to an 0845 number and should be warning the caller. I restated that I dialled a geographic number on my VM line so do not expect to be charged so I want to continue with my complaint with VM.

I have asked them to put it in writing as a final response and confirm that I can now take my complaint to CISAS.

Whilst I am going to pursue the complaint with VM I think in order to cover all bases I may now also raise a complaint with Tesco - if only I could find their complaints policy on their website!
  • victor2
    Options
    RikJ wrote: »
    Got a phone call from VM today.

The VM position is that my compliant should be with Tesco as they are forwarding the calls to an 0845 number and should be warning the caller. I restated that I dialled a geographic number on my VM line so do not expect to be charged so I want to continue with my complaint with VM.

I have asked them to put it in writing as a final response and confirm that I can now take my complaint to CISAS.

Whilst I am going to pursue the complaint with VM I think in order to cover all bases I may now also raise a complaint with Tesco - if only I could find their complaints policy on their website!

AFAIK unless Tesco have some sort of deal with VM, they cannot transfer a call to a geographic number to their 0845 number AND ensure the caller is charged for the 0845 call. They can do the transfers, but at their cost.
    VM said to me that they charge for the number you dial, so I would pursue the complaint with them if you have, or can create, evidence to show otherwise. Doesn't harm to raise it with Tesco though. I've contacted them through www.tescocomments.com before now - they print that on the till receipts and I got a response.

Will be interesting to see if VM contradict your evidence!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure