Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • poppy10
    • By poppy10 21st Dec 06, 9:39 AM
    • 5,762Posts
    • 7,006Thanks
    poppy10
    Premium bond winning - missed expiry
    • 21st Dec 06, 9:39 AM
    Premium bond winning - missed expiry 21st Dec 06 at 9:39 AM
    Hi, I won £50 on the premium bonds in September; the cheque was dated Sep 8th, and on the cheque it said it had to be cashed within 3 months. Unfortunately it slipped my mind and now it's too late. Is there any way to get my money?
Page 1
    • Gorgeous George
    • By Gorgeous George 21st Dec 06, 10:25 AM
    • 7,787 Posts
    • 8,466 Thanks
    Gorgeous George
    • 21st Dec 06, 10:25 AM
    • 21st Dec 06, 10:25 AM
    Put your cheque in the bank and see what happens. If it is refused, contact NS&I.

Failing that, stick it on eBay described as "sexy cheque from NS&I".

GG
  • Mikeyorks
    • 21st Dec 06, 10:42 AM
    • 21st Dec 06, 10:42 AM
    As post #2 - present it to your Bank and see if they accept it. As most cheques have an initial shelf life of 6 months it's likely the cashier won't look too closely.

But if that fails contact NS&I at the address here (in writing and signed - and returning the outdated cheque). There is something on their site about age expired prizes - but can't find it at the moment. But they will replace it with an in-date cheque, without problems (or compensation for their trouble! ). Just as they will give you winnings if you go AWOL for several years because you fail to advise a change of address :-

http://www.nsandi.com/help/reportamissingprize.jsp
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
    • derrick
    • By derrick 21st Dec 06, 11:04 AM
    • 6,707 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    derrick
    • 21st Dec 06, 11:04 AM
    • 21st Dec 06, 11:04 AM
    You can REINVEST your winnings automatically therefore never having the problem that you now have, plus in this case the £50. would have been entered for 3 more draws for which you might have won some more. Winnings reinvested do not have to wait for a month prior to inclusion, they are in the next draw.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• thanks
    • By thanks 21st Dec 06, 1:13 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    thanks
    • 21st Dec 06, 1:13 PM
    • 21st Dec 06, 1:13 PM
    Hi, I won £50 on the premium bonds in September; the cheque was dated Sep 8th, and on the cheque it said it had to be cashed within 3 months. Unfortunately it slipped my mind and now it's too late. Is there any way to get my money?
    by poppy10
    the same thing happened to me. I phoned NS&I and they asked me to send it back them and issued a new one.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,197Posts Today

4,567Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @hugorifkind: Arguing that Hitler was a Zionist is like arguing that the slave trade was pro-immigration. Get a grip.

• RT @MoneySavingExp: Morning! In this week's email: Loads of ways to save inc. Urgent Sky £30/mth, M&S 50%, £36off Tesco & Hotpoint wins: ht?

• RT @GMB: Fancy coming on GMB to learn how to save loads on your car insurance with @MartinSLewis? Find out more: https://t.co/B9vQfOliPA

• Follow Martin