Kitchen worktop options for Belfast sink

Options
We are fitting a Belfast sink in a utility area with a run of a couple of kitchen cabinets - just over 1.4m long all in. We need to put a worktop over the top of the whole lot, with an exposed cut out for the Belfast (which will seal to the underside). What are my options for the worktop? I obviosuly can't use laminate as the exposed 'cut' round the sink will be an eyesore.... We have wood in the kitchen and we were trying to do something different in the utility to demark the two spaces. I am stuck with the choices of stone or corian or something? What is the best value 'solid' type worktop?

Comments

• GlynD
    GlynD Posts: 10,883 Forumite
    Options
    You can use laminate but you'll need to get some edging strips at your local DIY store and glue them well down.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Belfast sinks were designed by the devil to be used exclusively in his own kitchen. They should be banned.

Even if you install laminate worktops and use laminate edging strip as GlynD, above, says within 12 months the laminate will have peeled off and the chipboard substructure will start to absorb moisture. Even with a solid timber worktop, the exposed grain ends will eventually go the same way as laminate. Granite or corian are the only 2 options which for a utility room is an expensive hobby.

Why don't you reconsider the sink? If you shop around you can get some extra deep stainless steel sinks which may be a better solution.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • fenceposttortoise
    Options
    I know Belfasts are the work of Satan :rotfl: Whilst a re-design may be preferable, swmbo would not accept an alternative... *American accent* "failure is not an option, people" *American accent*
    So I am stuck with the Belfast. Is there really nothing else bar stone and corian nowadays? no clever modern (cheap) alternatives? If there aren't which is the better value? stone?
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The only allternative is to raise the height of the belfast sink so the top is slightly higher than the work top. Then the worktop can be butted up to the outside of the sink and sealed with silicone.

Belfast sinks went out with the ark. They look fine in showrooms and brochures but are completely useless. And they make teh kitchen look like a cleaners cupboard in a 1970's built school.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • GlynD
    GlynD Posts: 10,883 Forumite
    Options
    phill99 wrote: »
    The only allternative is to raise the height of the belfast sink so the top is slightly higher than the work top. Then the worktop can be butted up to the outside of the sink and sealed with silicone.

Belfast sinks went out with the ark. They look fine in showrooms and brochures but are completely useless. And they make teh kitchen look like a cleaners cupboard in a 1970's built school.

I think that's a matter of opinion. A Belfast sink is quite a practical and attractive option in mine.
  • fenceposttortoise
    Options
    :rotfl:ha ha haa phill99, you really don't like Belfasts do you :D Don't worry its not the only sink in the house, its in a utility area and is actually just what we want for not only the practical aspect of washing wellies, dogs, children etc. but also the aesthetic aspect to fit with our lovely traditional cottage and reclaimed quarry tiles in this bit - Belfasts have been around for a very very long time for a good reason and do have their uses you know :D
    We don't want to fit it through the worktop so I guess I will have to find an old snooker table slate to cut down or something...
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 June 2011 at 2:33PM
    Options
    We have been mulling over the same problem. Mrs G wanted the whole worktop area and the sink moulded out of Corian but, unfortunately, the cost is just silly.

Luckily we stayed in a holiday home recently with a massive (big enough to bath in) Belfast type sink in the kitchen and now she wants something similar, if a little smaller. Laminate/chipboard worktops are out as I know from previous experience that they will eventually swell up and look absolutely cack. We are now considering solid wood or slate. The latter being the main contender as it is reasonably priced and won't rot no matter how wet it gets.
  • fenceposttortoise
    Options
    We're going solid wood in the main kitchen... mainly because swmbo wants it - I have my reservations owing to the maintenance but am prepared to give it a shot to keep the peace :beer: We are using an inset sink though with integral drainer to keep as much water off the wood as possible. I have been warned already that whilst solid wood works with Belfasts, they can look a bit manky and 'blow' at the cutout quite quickly - hence part of the reason we don't want to use wood around our Belfast. Slate is definately on the list... although at the moment Granite seems to be working out cheaper... but there must be something better in these modern times, no? An old snooker table slate is a possibilty and get my local masons to do the cutting.....
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    An old snooker table slate is a possibilty and get my local masons to do the cutting.....

Ha ha! I suggested that, only I would do the cutting. I'm a dab hand with an angle grinder but Mrs G doesn't seem keen. Can't think why.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure