Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales > Can I donate fake goods to a charity shop? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Can I donate fake goods to a charity shop?
Closed Thread
Views: 4,146
# 1
Giddytimes
Old 27-05-2011, 8:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Can I donate fake goods to a charity shop?

I bought 2 dresses a while back from an internet site, when they arrived I could tell they were fake. They also didn't fit me.

The website disappeared and I tried but failed to receive a refund.

These dresses have been sitting in my wardrobe for over a year now, they are nice dresses, well made, it seems a shame for them to just be sat in my wardrobe.

I tried to sell them on ebay about 6 months ago, stating in the listing that I don't believe them to be real but my listing was removed. I understand I breached Ebay rules, hadn't realised at the time.

So, can I donate these dresses to charity? Would I get in trouble for this? I was thinking of taking them in and specifically telling the shop assistant that they aren't real.

I just have a nagging doubt as can imagine that either way they will end up back on ebay somehow, but being advertised as real. Does anyone know if there is any come back on me if they do?

Thanks
Debt at 1/5/09 21,996
Current debt- 0 Final payment made October 2012.
The Following User Says Thank You to Giddytimes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
pinkshoes
Old 27-05-2011, 8:39 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Just destroy them. They were no doubt made by slave labour, and some fat cat is profiting, so the best place for them is the bin.

Actually, I would rip them, then put them in a material recycling bin.
The Following User Says Thank You to pinkshoes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
PasturesNew
Old 27-05-2011, 8:42 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Can't you just cut the labels out? So they're unlabelled random dresses?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PasturesNew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
hermum
Old 27-05-2011, 8:47 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PasturesNew View Post
Can't you just cut the labels out? So they're unlabelled random dresses?
I was going to say the same, can't you sell them as just dresses.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hermum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
butler_helen
Old 27-05-2011, 9:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I too would take them to the shop, with the labels cut off so you cannot tell what brand they were meant to be.
If you aim for the moon if you miss at least you will land among the stars!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to butler_helen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
RFW
Old 27-05-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkshoes View Post
Just destroy them. They were no doubt made by slave labour, and some fat cat is profiting, so the best place for them is the bin.
They are already made, no one is advocating buying more to send to a charity shop. A lot of fakes are made in this country and when discovered usually end up in landfill, there has been programmes to have them delabelled and sent to third world countries.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RFW For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
shop-to-drop
Old 27-05-2011, 10:23 PM

I'd take them but maybe put a cross through the label. Better the charity shop gets something than they go in the bin.
Trytryagain FLYLADY - SAYE 500 each month Premium Bonds 713 Mortgage Was 100,000@20/6/08 now 24,000 WTL - 52 (I'll do it 4 MUM)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shop-to-drop For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
iieee
Old 27-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I was going to suggest cutting the labels too.
:: MFi3 ::
Original mortgage free date ~ January 2030
Current mortgage free date ~ July 2028

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iieee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Ben84
Old 27-05-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkshoes View Post

Actually, I would rip them, then put them in a material recycling bin.
I'd be surprised if they were made with slave labour, although poorly paid labour is a likely possibility. However, I would also accuse manufacturers of many 'genuine' clothes of using very poorly paid labour and making huge amounts of profit for a few individuals, so if this is a reason to throw out clothes a significant amount of items in wardrobes across the UK should be thrown out! It's a non-point though, we have no certainty that their production had negative effects on someone and throwing them out does nothing to negate any possible negative effects they had ether. If the quality of the item is good then it would be reasonable to find someone who would like to wear them and the OP could attempt to recover some of the money spent on them.

The label could be removed and then they could be sold on eBay. While selling fakes is not allowed, without the label making the false claim they are just dresses. Describe them as fairly as possible on condition/quality and state they have no brand in the listing and I'm sure you'd be fine. Worst they could do is remove your listing, but really why would they remove a listing for an unbranded dress that is described as such.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ben84 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
missbishi
Old 27-05-2011, 10:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'm all for cutting the labels out and relisting too - use the right keywords in your title and it won't matter that they are unbranded as pretty dresses always sell very well over the summer months : )
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to missbishi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Giddytimes
Old 28-05-2011, 1:18 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks guys.

I'm not sure I will be able to remove all the brand markings from these dresses but I'll dig them out this weekend and have a go. If I put a hole in them trying I guess I won't have lost anything anyway!
Debt at 1/5/09 21,996
# 12
Giddytimes
Old 28-05-2011, 1:21 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Out of interest though does anyone know the answer to my question? Could someone end up in trouble for donating fake goods to charity?
Debt at 1/5/09 21,996
# 13
jasmineswhiskers
Old 28-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giddytimes View Post
Out of interest though does anyone know the answer to my question? Could someone end up in trouble for donating fake goods to charity?
I expect they're not allowed but who really knows who donated what? I popped in an Oxfam the other week and they had for sale a fake Mulberry bag (the quality was worse than something off the market) for 25. Surely at this price they knew it wasn't real as the real deal sells for 775 new.
The Following User Says Thank You to jasmineswhiskers For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
hermione987uk
Old 28-05-2011, 11:47 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've brought fake designer stuff from charity shops before (it was a hand bag and I was only 15 so couldn't really tell the difference, mind you the price of 2.50 should have given it was.)

There was also a section on one of those airline shows about a charity that collects all seized fake designer clothes and puts their own label on it and send them to Africa and other countries.
The Following User Says Thank You to hermione987uk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Rotherham Lass
Old 29-05-2011, 12:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I took some fake UGG boots in to a charity shop and told the manager they weren't real but were they of any use to her. She practically snatched my hand off. They were horrible too and one glance would show they were fake. Sure someone would have bought them though.
# 16
wombles forever
Old 30-05-2011, 11:32 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi Having worked in several charity shops I can say that all charity shops are bound by the same rules on fake goods as everyone else. They are not allowed to knowingly sell any fake designer goods and as such if there is any doubt they will destroy the items rather than face the prospect of being liable for selling them. You would not get into trouble for donating them as such but they could not then resell knowing that they were fakes. Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to wombles forever For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
discofunction
Old 30-05-2011, 11:54 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I wouldnt feel right reselling them knowing they are fake. But if they are decent to wear and you take the labels out and give them to charity then surely its just any old dress that someone might enjoy. Surely better than going to landfill!
# 18
macfly
Old 30-05-2011, 12:24 PM

Why aren't you wearing them?
Closed Thread