Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• wazza
    • By wazza 21st May 11, 1:38 AM
    • 2,572Posts
    • 347Thanks
    Why is my freezer wet on the outside?
    • 21st May 11, 1:38 AM
    Why is my freezer wet on the outside? 21st May 11 at 1:38 AM
    Have a small freezer in the cellar/basement. After a few days there is condensation on the outside on the door and the side panels. Also there is a small pool of water on top.

I assume it is due to condensation? The food inside is fine.

Is there anything that can be done?
    Problem with having access to internet is that i get asked by many to solve their problems Well at least i learn something on the way
Page 1
  • nickj
    • 21st May 11, 8:06 AM
    • 21st May 11, 8:06 AM
    improve ventilation
    • Rotor
    • By Rotor 21st May 11, 9:35 AM
    • 826 Posts
    • 901 Thanks
    • 21st May 11, 9:35 AM
    • 21st May 11, 9:35 AM
    Or poor insulation.
    You could stick insulation board to the outside of the freezer ( obviously avoiding the motor/compressor vent)

Or dehumidify the room
    • Dippypud
    • By Dippypud 21st May 11, 11:09 AM
    • 1,467 Posts
    • 16,476 Thanks
    • 21st May 11, 11:09 AM
    • 21st May 11, 11:09 AM
    Your cellar / basement has the problem not the freezer.

Find out where the damp / humidity is coming from before it gets worse.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z # 40 spanner supervisor.
    No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thought.
    Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten.
    "l! ily yant ranya nar vanw"
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 21st May 11, 11:20 AM
    • 9,922 Posts
    • 13,204 Thanks
    • 21st May 11, 11:20 AM
    • 21st May 11, 11:20 AM
    We have a freezer and a fridge in the cellar. They both have wet sides. As has been said, it is just the damp in the cellar condensing onto the cooler walls of the appliances. Better insulation applied to the sides of the freezer would probably work.

Dehumidifying the room probably wouldn't. At least, it didn't for me. It's like trying to empty the Thames with a teaspoon. Unless the cellar is properly tanked, as fast as you remove the humidity more is drawn into the structure from the surrounding damp earth.

Improving the ventilation is probably the best bet, and is what I am trying to do at the moment. By the sounds of it though, you will need to improve it quite drastically. We leave the door open all the time which seems to help.
    Last edited by Gloomendoom; 21-05-2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Missing "ing"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,715Posts Today

7,187Users online

Martin's Twitter