best dog wormer?

Options
Can anyone tell me what they think is the best value wormer for dogs? I've got a Labrador who eats poo whenever he's out on his walks and I realise that this puts him at greater risk of getting worms, so I want to make sure I'm giving him the best possible wormer. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Rev
    Rev Posts: 3,150 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Stay away from pet shop ones, bob martin etc.

My vet uses these milbemax or drontal. You can buy drontal online much cheaper. I usually use vetuk.
    Sigless
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We were advised to use Drontal flavoured tablets and Advocate spot-on treatment (gets rid of fleas but some types of worm too).
  • abba123_2
    Options
    Just wanted to say be careful with milbemax! Never trust what is written on the pack, I almost lost my Jack Russell! Calculate the dosage of the medicament accordingly to the dogs weight! I got the tablet from my vet for 5 to 25 kg dogs and mine was 7 kg. Then all the nightmare started. He suffered a lot, lost more than 30 % of his fur with the terrible wounds and burns. Finally it is over but he will have to live with terrible bald patches.
  • snowman2_2
    Options
    abba123 wrote: »
    Just wanted to say be careful with milbemax! Never trust what is written on the pack, I almost lost my Jack Russell! Calculate the dosage of the medicament accordingly to the dogs weight! I got the tablet from my vet for 5 to 25 kg dogs and mine was 7 kg. Then all the nightmare started. He suffered a lot, lost more than 30 % of his fur with the terrible wounds and burns. Finally it is over but he will have to live with terrible bald patches.

I would use two of the small dog size for a 7kg dog rather than a full size tablet. Saying that, I have not had a reaction anywhere near as serious as that. Was it proved to be the Milbemax or just a guess?
  • vicx
    vicx Posts: 3,091 Forumite
    Options
    Drontal is recommended by Vets. I'm not sure if you can get them cheaper than £1.73 with free delivery but here is a link to where I purchased mine:

http://www.medicanimal.com/product/~drontal-plus-flavoured-dog-worming-tablet/~product_id=302;jsessionid=DDFDE65A83FE28CF71C01FBE52618D86.jvm1
    A home without a dog is like a flower without petals.
  • redrufus
    redrufus Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    From a personal and professional point of view I use Drontal, Bob Martin and Barge pole spring to mind :D Stick to wormers that vets sell, you may be able to get them cheaper online than from your vets though.
  • Bromley86
    Bromley86 Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Options
    >Drontal is recommended by Vets. I'm not sure if you can get them cheaper than £1.73 with free delivery

Cestem appears to be the same medicine. On that site you link to it's £1.15 a tab (in a 4-pack), VetUK it's 96p (you need to buy 20 for free shipping though):
    http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-worming-cat-worming-cestem-dog-wormer-c-17_526/cestem-dog-wormer-flavoured-tablet-p-4008
  • Hillbilly1
    Options
    Drontal or milbemax. I use milbemax as am in the south east and there is alot of lungworm around.

Dont use milbemax and advocate on the sam days.. v similar drugs leave 24 hours between.
    NOT a NEWBIE!

Was Greenmoneysaver. . .
  • Mely
    Mely Posts: 4,121 Forumite
    Options
    vicx wrote: »
    Drontal is recommended by Vets. I'm not sure if you can get them cheaper than £1.73 with free delivery but here is a link to where I purchased mine:

http://www.medicanimal.com/product/~drontal-plus-flavoured-dog-worming-tablet/~product_id=302;jsessionid=DDFDE65A83FE28CF71C01FBE52618D86.jvm1

Vicx thanks very much for that link...im sure it will be cheaper than buying it from my vet like i usually do,and my little dog only takes a quarter of a tablet...bless :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure