Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th May 11, 1:27 PM
    • 29,435 Posts
    • 13,703 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 11th May 11, 1:27 PM
    • 11th May 11, 1:27 PM
    40% isn't an unusual premium increase currently.

Irrespective of renewal premium, it is always worthwhile doing the search process, but especially so currently!
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 11th May 11, 1:50 PM
    • 20,603 Posts
    • 9,714 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 11th May 11, 1:50 PM
    • 11th May 11, 1:50 PM
    Use a comparison site, but bear in mind that many companies won't take on drivers above a certain age, so there is less choice.
    • hartcjhart
    • By hartcjhart 11th May 11, 1:56 PM
    • 8,549 Posts
    • 10,725 Thanks
    hartcjhart
    • 11th May 11, 1:56 PM
    • 11th May 11, 1:56 PM
    we found LV to be very good for our dad(86)
  • Natbag
    • 11th May 11, 2:14 PM
    • 11th May 11, 2:14 PM
    You may need to phone certain companies as they will insure over 80s, often with competitive prices, but only as long as they meet certain criteria. The quote often requires a manual override, which you may not be able to get online, so you'd need to phone to check.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 11th May 11, 2:19 PM
    • 20,603 Posts
    • 9,714 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 11th May 11, 2:19 PM
    • 11th May 11, 2:19 PM
    but only as long as they meet certain criteria
    Hi - Could you give me a clue as to what those criteria might me?
    Is it disability or claim related?
    I'm interested as I sort out affairs for my MIL & FIL in their 80s.
  • Natbag
    • 11th May 11, 2:30 PM
    • 11th May 11, 2:30 PM
    It goes on the vehicle segmentation - cars fall into a segment letter according to their size, engine size, performance, brake horse power, etc - as well as claims history. We also have to check something called the super-profile, to make sure it's under a certain number, and I think that's rated on all the information given during the quote (age, location, claims, convictions, NCD, years licence held, class of use, etc). Our maximum age limit at new business is 90, 99 for renewals if no claims have been made. I've not done too many of these type of quotes yet, so I can't tell you the full details without referring to my underwriting guide at work, and of course it will vary from insurer to insurer. I can get back to you on Friday when I'm next in work.
    As for disability, we're not actually allowed to take that into consideration because of the disability discrimination act - we're not allowed to even ask or use those details to rate the policy and premiums.
    If your in-laws are driving quite small or family-type cars and don't have motoring convictions in the past 5 years or claims in the past 3 years, and have full NCD, they *should* be able to get insurance at a competitive rate.
  • longtallannie
    • 11th May 11, 7:50 PM
    Updating
    • 11th May 11, 7:50 PM
    Following Martin's advice on which sites to search & in which order, Admiral seems to have come out the best so far - but only on moneysupermarket.com, not comparethemarket. Why is that??

Interestingly re hartcjhart's post, LV say on their website that they don't cover anyone over 85, but maybe it's a different case by phone. Thanks for everyone's comments & advice. I hate buying car insurance....
    Last edited by longtallannie; 11-05-2011 at 7:55 PM. Reason: adding more info
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 11th May 11, 7:52 PM
    • 20,603 Posts
    • 9,714 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 11th May 11, 7:52 PM
    • 11th May 11, 7:52 PM
    If your in-laws are driving quite small or family-type cars and don't have motoring convictions in the past 5 years or claims in the past 3 years, and have full NCD, they *should* be able to get insurance at a competitive rate.
    Yes, small Corsa (probably 1.2).
    Thanks for the info.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

170Posts Today

1,519Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick goodbye (for now)... https://t.co/00uuzdpqAv

• Still fighting - hoping for chinks in the armour as there's a new administration https://t.co/XMYOGshhI0

• About to speak to talented teens from underprivileged backgrounds re student finance. Far more difficult to be +ve after retrospective hikes

• Follow Martin