Roof boxes and fuel economy

Options
Kilty_2
Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
Do roof boxes destroy fuel economy to the extent that rumours would have you believe?

Manufacturers of them seem to work pretty hard to streamline them, etc.

Experiences welcome :D

Comments

• Rolandtheroadie
    Rolandtheroadie Posts: 5,102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Last year on a run to Paignton (900 round trip) we got about 35mpg fully loaded, roof box included. Normally car does 33 mpg (down to about 30 just now, service due).
    The biggest problem we had was parking. Couldnt fit into any car parks with a height restriction or multi stories.

Other options a trailer? Dont know how additional weight towed would work out against slower driving speeds.
  • Kilty_2
    Options
    I'd die in a horrific accident whilst towing :rotfl:

Plus, a Picanto with a roof box will be ridiculous, a Picanto towing a trailer will be downright ludicrous :D

Parking not an issue because it'd be one house to another 300 miles away.
  • Kilty_2
    Options
    Also - opinions on brands etc?

https://www.roofbox.co.uk will do me a "Karrite" 320L box with "CRUZ" bars for £140
  • Rolandtheroadie
    Rolandtheroadie Posts: 5,102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You get motorbikes with trailers, something with similar lines and colour as the car could look quite............ Aye, stick to a roof box lol.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have a full width halfords roofbox and on a trip to cornwall i did notice an increase in fuel consumption.

3 years previously i had just over 1/4 of tank left but with the box it was under 1/4 of a tank.

You will find it less of an issue at lower speeds, At higher motorway speeds it will be worse.

Possible narrow long styles will be better with less frontal area for wind resistance.

Most boxes are the same, Dearer ones have extra locks or open from both sides. Depends on your needs.

Will storage be a problem? Mines currently cluttering the shed.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Kilty_2
    Options
    Storage might be a problem....... but I've noticed that roofbox.co.uk give you a free "hoist" with it which will allow you to store it in the ceiling of a garage - don't know how well that works
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Kilty wrote: »
    Storage might be a problem....... but I've noticed that roofbox.co.uk give you a free "hoist" with it which will allow you to store it in the ceiling of a garage - don't know how well that works

Two strips of webbing and a dozen screws?:)
  • Kilty_2
    Options
    Probably :rotfl:
  • Tucker
    Tucker Posts: 1,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I haven't noticed any real difference when using one.

It must reduce mpg a bit. Has too, but the few times I use it a year, it's no big deal. In fact most times when I use it, I end up leaving it one for weeks afterwards and again, can't say its made enough difference to make me sit up and take note.
  • Kilty_2
    Options
    :T

Good stuff. If I can't sort out alternative transport then I think this will be the way forward.

Just need to work out what's worth buying and what's not
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport