Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance > Debenhams store card ppi reclaim?????? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Debenhams store card ppi reclaim??????
Views: 11,294
# 1
ripoffbanks01
Old 04-05-2011, 3:07 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Debenhams store card ppi reclaim??????

Hi,

Having recently been made aware of the PPI ruleing against banks etc I started to do a little digging on my own accounts.

After eventually finding a copy of my original terms and agreement when i took out a store card with Debenhams (application made in store) in 1998, I was amazed to see that after filling in my name and addres etc (standard details) within the agreement, the next part of the agreement is an explanation saying whether i would like to take out PPI and was to SIGN the box if I did!!!

GUESS WHAT??????????
I HADN'T SIGNED IT OR ANY OTHER BOX APART FROM THE DECLARATION AT THE END WITH MY SIGNATURE AND THE DATE OF OPENING THE ACCOUNT.....
So my querry is this:-

A) In your oppinion do you think i could claim and what are my chances????

B) Have they broken the law for giving me PPI when I have particularly not signed the box relating to having PPI?????

I have written Santader a letter explaining all this and sent them a copy of the agreement.

what you think??

cheers
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to ripoffbanks01 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
di3004
Old 04-05-2011, 3:15 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripoffbanks01 View Post
Hi,

Having recently been made aware of the PPI ruleing against banks etc I started to do a little digging on my own accounts.

After eventually finding a copy of my original terms and agreement when i took out a store card with Debenhams (application made in store) in 1998, I was amazed to see that after filling in my name and addres etc (standard details) within the agreement, the next part of the agreement is an explanation saying whether i would like to take out PPI and was to SIGN the box if I did!!!

GUESS WHAT??????????
I HADN'T SIGNED IT OR ANY OTHER BOX APART FROM THE DECLARATION AT THE END WITH MY SIGNATURE AND THE DATE OF OPENING THE ACCOUNT.....
So my querry is this:-

A) In your oppinion do you think i could claim and what are my chances????

B) Have they broken the law for giving me PPI when I have particularly not signed the box relating to having PPI?????

I have written Santader a letter explaining all this and sent them a copy of the agreement.

what you think??

cheers

Hi and welcome

Good for you, and I would definately give it a go, they may say that you should have dealt with this within the last 6 years, but make them aware its only now recently since the PPI judgement you found out about this, so due to this you went through your paperwork to check.

Personally - its a good case..so I would go for it.

They should NOT have applied PPI to your account without your knowledge.

You have done the right thing, good luck and if you decide to send them evidence, only do so by sending them copies and not the originals.

The best of luck.
The one and only "Dizzy Di"
# 3
ripoffbanks01
Old 04-05-2011, 3:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi there,

I thought as much.........its good to have others opinions to help you in these situations, and yes only sent a copy of the agreement which is in excellent readable condition i may add!!!
Sent them a letter though but didnt know how to calculate what they exactly owe me though!!!

cheers again
The Following User Says Thank You to ripoffbanks01 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
di3004
Old 04-05-2011, 4:04 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripoffbanks01 View Post
Hi there,

I thought as much.........its good to have others opinions to help you in these situations, and yes only sent a copy of the agreement which is in excellent readable condition i may add!!!
Sent them a letter though but didnt know how to calculate what they exactly owe me though!!!

cheers again

Good one!

I would not worry about the calcs at this point, they will provide them on request. Good luck.
The one and only "Dizzy Di"
The Following User Says Thank You to di3004 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
garageking
Old 06-08-2011, 1:27 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

hi i just sent a letter to santandar about my card i havent used it for 3 years so they closed my account and now say i cant reclaim my ppi since they dont hold any details of my account i am now sending them my statments at the end of the day they still took ppi of me with out my knowledge