We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Any mum using a beaba or avent babycook?

Options
My son is eight months old now and I want to give him more home-made foods. Boots has these two as major brands but I don't know which one is better. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. :j
a half qualified cat
a senior kitten

Comments

• iamana1ias
    iamana1ias Posts: 3,777 Forumite
    Options
    At 8 months you can just give your baby what you eat. No need for special equipment.
    I was born too late, into a world that doesn't care
    Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair
  • smithyjules
    smithyjules Posts: 497 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there, we have two children and with our second we borrowed a bebecook from a friend. To be honest although of course it does do a good job we found that we very quickly went back to our bigger steamer and hand blender or masher. At 8 months either baby will be eating bigger portions which means you may only get one or two meals out of each bebe cook batch or they will be wanting less smooth purees and just mashed.

We have a three tier steamer and a basic hand blender and a potato masher and they do us perfectly so maybe save your pennies.

As the last posted stated too, at 8 months our children were most mostly eating our foods so i just made extra and some batches of other things for when we had something unsuitable.

HTH
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why do you need a cookbook?

Just mush up what you're eating and feed it to him. Or let him have it as finger food.

There you go. You're saving money already.
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • lily76
    lily76 Posts: 192 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there, we have two children and with our second we borrowed a bebecook from a friend. To be honest although of course it does do a good job we found that we very quickly went back to our bigger steamer and hand blender or masher. At 8 months either baby will be eating bigger portions which means you may only get one or two meals out of each bebe cook batch or they will be wanting less smooth purees and just mashed.

We have a three tier steamer and a basic hand blender and a potato masher and they do us perfectly so maybe save your pennies.

As the last posted stated too, at 8 months our children were most mostly eating our foods so i just made extra and some batches of other things for when we had something unsuitable.

HTH
    Thanks so much for such a detailed reply. I have considered your way to be honest. However that means I need to buy a electric steamer, a blender, and a masher at one time as I don't have any of them. My thought is that a babycook could save time and energy as it is small and electric. I do have a two tier 32CM steamer,but it is very large and both time and gas-consuming. To use it everyday, I will be concerned with my gas bill, but I will check the prices of those three things in sainsbury first. :)
    a half qualified cat
    a senior kitten
  • lily76
    Options
    iamana1ias wrote: »
    At 8 months you can just give your baby what you eat. No need for special equipment.

Currently both me and DH are having special K twice a day. I don't think the baby will like it. :rotfl:
    a half qualified cat
    a senior kitten
  • traleegirl
    traleegirl Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why do you even need a steamer?

Just cook whatever you would normally and put it in a blender.

Worked perfectly well for my children......
  • traleegirl
    traleegirl Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lily76 wrote: »
    Currently both me and DH are having special K twice a day. I don't think the baby will like it. :rotfl:
    Have weetabix or porridge in the morning with your baby and a normal lunch and dinner. A cereal based diet is not good for anyone....
  • lily76
    Options
    mrcow wrote: »
    Why do you need a cookbook?

Just mush up what you're eating and feed it to him. Or let him have it as finger food.

There you go. You're saving money already.

Thanks for the reply. I never use a cook book I always google recipes as it is totally free. Boots is now offering 3 4 2 on baby products so I want to take advantage of it. I will check steamer, blender and baby chopper separately.
    a half qualified cat
    a senior kitten
  • lily76
    Options
    traleegirl wrote: »
    Why do you even need a steamer?

Just cook whatever you would normally and put it in a blender.

Worked perfectly well for my children......

I usually put a lot of sauces into our dish and we currently just eat one meal a day. HV told me not to give him any salt or sugar. A steamer is a healthy option.
    a half qualified cat
    a senior kitten
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    You really don't need a steamer, just cook veggies in a colander on top of a saucepan. You don't need a special masher, you can buy one of those potato mashers for around £2 in any supermarket, or you can use a fork! Babies at 8 months don't need their food to be perfectly smooth, a few lumps should be left in to get them used to chewing. If you think you need a small hand blender, how about one of these? ....

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4219488/Trail/searchtext%3EHAND+BLENDER.htm

Don't spend a fortune on special products, they just take up a load of space and you will use them for a few months at best.
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family