Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • researcher
    • By researcher 29th Nov 06, 7:13 AM
    • 1,511Posts
    • 1,763Thanks
    researcher
    The best mince pie pastry ever?
    • 29th Nov 06, 7:13 AM
    The best mince pie pastry ever? 29th Nov 06 at 7:13 AM
    My elderly neighbour has at last given me her recipe for her mince pies. Do try it, I promise you will be surprised by how excellent it is. I will reproduce it exactly as she taught me yesterday.

Yield - 3 dozen pies.

1 lb Self raising Flour
    8 oz Trex
    4 oz caster sugar
    1 egg
    little water

2 jars mincemeat.

Rub fat into flour and sugar until resembling fine breadcrumbs. Lightly beat the egg, and mix in with a knife adding a little water. Resulting paste should be smooth and soft and very pliable. No need to rest in fridge.

Roll out thinly, you will need plenty of flour as the pastry is quite sticky - this is correct as it will 'thicken' slightly when cooking.

Line your mince pie tins with the pastry (greased with trex), we used a pallett knife and place a spoonful of mince in each, place on pastry tops and seal gently with finger tips (no added liquid necessary). Be careful, this pastry is soft to work with.

Cook at appx 180/90c until lightly golden. (Appx 20 - 25 mins, but will depend on your oven).

Leave pies in tins to cool for a few minutes and then place a wire rack on top and tip over - tap the bottoms of each pie and they will slip out. (Don't attempt to hook out with a knife - they will break!) Then you can turn them up the right way to cool.

Sprinkle with a little sugar if preferred.

This pasty will be crisp, yet crumbly - keeps and freezes exceptionally well and her pies are legendary - she is asked to make 100's each year.

Happy eating

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 25-11-2008 at 6:57 PM.
Page 1
    • oldMcDonald
    • By oldMcDonald 29th Nov 06, 7:40 AM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 6,875 Thanks
    oldMcDonald
    • 29th Nov 06, 7:40 AM
    • 29th Nov 06, 7:40 AM
    What is Trex? Never heard of it before and google just gave me loads of info on big scarey dinosaurs!

Pretty sure it's not that?

• researcher
    • By researcher 29th Nov 06, 7:45 AM
    • 1,511 Posts
    • 1,763 Thanks
    researcher
    • 29th Nov 06, 7:45 AM
    • 29th Nov 06, 7:45 AM
    It's a vegetable fat (white) - you'll find it in the cold cabinet near to the butters
    • oldMcDonald
    • By oldMcDonald 29th Nov 06, 8:04 AM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 6,875 Thanks
    oldMcDonald
    • 29th Nov 06, 8:04 AM
    • 29th Nov 06, 8:04 AM
    Thanks. Will give this a try, have only made pastry once before and it was a disaster so hopefully I can do better with this!

• janetmw
    • By janetmw 29th Nov 06, 8:44 AM
    • 153 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    janetmw
    • 29th Nov 06, 8:44 AM
    • 29th Nov 06, 8:44 AM
    All about TREX here

Janet
    Last edited by janetmw; 29-11-2006 at 8:49 AM.
    • earthmother
    • By earthmother 29th Nov 06, 12:12 PM
    • 2,499 Posts
    • 5,411 Thanks
    earthmother
    • 29th Nov 06, 12:12 PM
    • 29th Nov 06, 12:12 PM
    Thanks for this - was given a very posh jar of mincemeat and didn't want to waste it on my normal pastry - will give this one a go instead.

DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to be dealing with have dealt with my debts
    • researcher
    • By researcher 29th Nov 06, 12:32 PM
    • 1,511 Posts
    • 1,763 Thanks
    researcher
    • 29th Nov 06, 12:32 PM
    • 29th Nov 06, 12:32 PM
    Let me know how you all get on.

I had a couple for 11's - but I have managed to freeze 18.
    • Alfietinker
    • By Alfietinker 29th Nov 06, 1:28 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    Alfietinker
    • 29th Nov 06, 1:28 PM
    • 29th Nov 06, 1:28 PM
    Do you have to use Trex or can I use a mixture of butter/lard or all butter? Does everything have to be cold like nomal pastry or is this fool proof? I'm not very good with pastry.
    New year, no debt! Debt free date - 02/01/07
  • echo
    • 29th Nov 06, 3:00 PM
    • 29th Nov 06, 3:00 PM
    alfietinker i've a recipe taken from Nigella's book and she uses same amount of cold unsalted butter as the trex.think i'd stick with this recipe unless somebody out there has experimented.i've used her recipe before and it was ok.by using the trex it gives the pastry a crispyness.tis best if the pastry is cold ( i shove mine in the fridge) and if you have cool hands-never a prob with me.

researcher how is this pastry to roll out? i ask cos sometimes i use an ordinary recipe ( half marg/half lard) but change the quantities slightly and add an egg.bloody awful to roll out when i've added an egg.

sarcasm is just one more service i offer
  • loren83
    I've never made pastry before, do you think I'd be ok with this? We've already gone through dozens of mince pies in our house so far this year.

Do you need individual tins like you get in the ready made packets?
    • earthmother
    • By earthmother 29th Nov 06, 3:49 PM
    • 2,499 Posts
    • 5,411 Thanks
    earthmother
    I've never made pastry before, do you think I'd be ok with this? We've already gone through dozens of mince pies in our house so far this year.

Do you need individual tins like you get in the ready made packets?
    by loren83

I find that pastry is easy so long as it doesn't get too warm - I find it much easier than cake (sponges are the bane of my life)

You want a fairy cake/bun tray - just look in the cooking section of somewhere like Wilkinsons - it's the one with about a dozen little cups in the one tray - should only be a couple of pounds.

I had a lovely old one a few years back where the cups were fluted, so the pastry was a bit fancier when you turned it out - got lost in a move though - never found similar since
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to be dealing with have dealt with my debts
  • aurora borealis
    I have to say that DD3, aged 15, makes the best pastry in the world!
    I don't know where she gets that talent from, because it isn't me

I'll ask her how she does it when she gets home.
    de do-do-do, de dar-dar-dar
  • aurora borealis
    As promised and in her words:

300 grams plain flour
    150 grams butter
    pinch salt

break marble sized chunks of butter into the flour
    with fingertips, rub butter into flour
    ... really thoroughly - like small breadcrumbs (it feels really soft)
    pour very cold water in a splash at at time and scrunch the mix until it is all joined together.

It's the breadcrumb part that is most important.

• oldMcDonald
    • By oldMcDonald 29th Nov 06, 8:02 PM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 6,875 Thanks
    oldMcDonald
    As promised and in her words:

300 grams plain flour
    150 grams butter
    pinch salt

break marble sized chunks of butter into the flour
    with fingertips, rub butter into flour
    ... really thoroughly - like small breadcrumbs (it feels really soft)
    pour very cold water in a splash at at time and scrunch the mix until it is all joined together.

It's the breadcrumb part that is most important.

by aurora borealis

This would be a savoury pastry? What is savoury like with sweet food normally? As I said above, I've only made pastry once and it was awful! It was for an apple pie and it had no sugar in it - everyone was expecting the pastry to be sweet and I think they were a bit shocked (thats my excuse for how bad it was anyway!!)

Just wondering if it is usual to use sweet or savoury pastry when making fruit / mince pies - really trying to get to grips with cooking from scratch!

lisa

• aurora borealis
    She says that if you dust it with sugar then it will be sweet

I prefer savoury pastry with sweet myself.
  • Sadierhianne
    I made my own mincemeat last year which was lovely - devine, BUT the pastry that i made was awful a real let down so i will try that recipe - thank you!! I have a few jars left over for mince pies this year so hopefully they will be good.

S
    • janb5
    • By janb5 29th Nov 06, 11:07 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 5,970 Thanks
    janb5
    Katie Stewart`s recipe!
    This is fab, have used it for years. Very reliable too.

Mincemeat pies

Makes 2 dozen

10 oz plain flour
    1 oz ground almonds
    6 oz butter
    3 oz caster sugar
    rind of 1/2 lemon
    1 egg yolk
    3 tablespoons milk

Filling

1 lb mincemeat
    1- 2 tablespoons brandy

icing sugar

Time taken 1 hour Can be made in advance

Sift the flour in a mixing basinn and add the ground almonds. Add the butter, cut into small pieces and rub into the mixture evenly. Add the sugar and the grated lemon rind. Lightly mix the egg yolk and milk and stir into the dry ingredients. Mix to a fairly firm dough, turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth. Chill for 30 mins before using.

Roll the pastry out onto a lightly floured surface and using a floured plain or fluted cutter, stamp out 48 circles of pastry.

Place 24 in lightly greased tins- do in batches if necessary. This dough is so well behaved that you can re- roll pieces of dough.. Mix the mincemeat with the brandy and place a teaspoonful of the mixture in the centre of each pastry circle. take care not to overfill the pies. Damp the edges of the pastry and cover each one with a pastry top. Seal the edges and then, using scissors snip 2 slits in the top of each. Place in the centre of a hot oven(400 degF,200 deg C or Gas 6 ) and bake for 15- 20 mins or until golden brown.

Dust with icing sugar and serve hot with brandy butter or cream.

Enjoy!
  • leonie
    I've made my pastry using the op's recipe for years, the only difference being that I use home made butter. It can be a real buggar to roll out but the pastry is devine and I get compliments every year.

I also make Delia's mincemeat and mince pies never last very long in our house!
    • researcher
    • By researcher 30th Nov 06, 10:07 AM
    • 1,511 Posts
    • 1,763 Thanks
    researcher

researcher how is this pastry to roll out? i ask cos sometimes i use an ordinary recipe ( half marg/half lard) but change the quantities slightly and add an egg.bloody awful to roll out when i've added an egg.

by echo
    You need to flour it regularly, and the board - but it can be re-rolled time and again - it it gets dry add a touch more water (or just wet hands if its for the last little bit) - knead in and use as before.
  • piratess
    Ive got mince pies in the oven as im typing, i followed the OPs recipe for pastry and umm ive only ended up with 2 dozen the pastry was very thin but when i was rolling out it kept splitting! ..
    This is my first attempt at pastry making so umm they will probably be a disaster .. oh well 10 more mins to wait !
    i didnt know the temp either so they are in on a Gas 6 .. is this correct ???
    Hoping to be a thinner me in 2010!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

200Posts Today

1,636Users online

Martin's Twitter