Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    juggler7
    job centre 'travel to interview' scheme stopped!
    • 6th Apr 11, 3:15 PM
    job centre 'travel to interview' scheme stopped! 6th Apr 11 at 3:15 PM
    wow...I have been to 3 interviews which cost me £75 last week thanks to the rip-off train fares, and I was hoping I would be able to claim the money back, but it looks like the travel to interview scheme has stopped...

I mean what is the government doing? trying to make it as miserable as possible for those who are poor? some of us are trying to dig our way out, not all of us are scrounging scum

the whole reason I don't have a job is because of government cuts in the first place, and now we are getting penalised like it is our fault! as if we are all lazy dopers...

honestly I am sick of this
Page 1
  • Jowo
    • 6th Apr 11, 3:22 PM
    • 6th Apr 11, 3:22 PM
    Wow, you're right - why on earth has this been done? Never heard anything about this until your post.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Jobseekers/programmesandservices/DG_173631
    • Widelats
    • By Widelats 6th Apr 11, 3:26 PM
    • 3,641 Posts
    • 2,716 Thanks
    Widelats
    • 6th Apr 11, 3:26 PM
    • 6th Apr 11, 3:26 PM
    so, if theres no work in your area, and you find work in a different area, you cant take it to interview stage anymore - wonder whos brainy idea this was to save a few pound.
    Owed out = lots.
  • BodyElectric
    • 6th Apr 11, 4:41 PM
    • 6th Apr 11, 4:41 PM
    Ridiculous!

Although you would not have been able to claim it back afterwards anyway, you had to claim it before you went.

• nellytheelephant
    • By nellytheelephant 6th Apr 11, 4:42 PM
    • 695 Posts
    • 491 Thanks
    nellytheelephant
    • 6th Apr 11, 4:42 PM
    • 6th Apr 11, 4:42 PM
    At my work the Job Centre have just refused to pay for train tickets for someoen to attend an induction - they can't afford to come without it so we've had to withdraw their job offer - wtf?!
  • BodyElectric
    • 6th Apr 11, 4:43 PM
    • 6th Apr 11, 4:43 PM
    not all of us are scrounging scum
    Originally posted by juggler7
    You seem to have swallowed the government line in this respect tho', as far as I am concerned no one is as you describe above.

• Ihatecameron
    • 6th Apr 11, 5:19 PM
    • 6th Apr 11, 5:19 PM
    You seem to have swallowed the government line in this respect tho', as far as I am concerned no one is as you describe above.
    Originally posted by BodyElectric
    Quite right, it is the idle rich that have never done a days work in their lives who are the real lazy sods. The benefit system is there to provide free and very cheap labour for them.
  • Hammyman
    • 6th Apr 11, 5:46 PM
    • 6th Apr 11, 5:46 PM
    Welcome to the Tories. Same as they were in the 1980's and early 90's. Its almost as if they want an underclass to scoff at. One wonders whether Cameron wants to beat Maggies unemployment record.
    • persa
    • By persa 6th Apr 11, 7:02 PM
    • 710 Posts
    • 1,554 Thanks
    persa
    • 6th Apr 11, 7:02 PM
    • 6th Apr 11, 7:02 PM
    wow...I have been to 3 interviews which cost me £75 last week thanks to the rip-off train fares, and I was hoping I would be able to claim the money back, but it looks like the travel to interview scheme has stopped...

I mean what is the government doing? trying to make it as miserable as possible for those who are poor? some of us are trying to dig our way out, not all of us are scrounging scum

the whole reason I don't have a job is because of government cuts in the first place, and now we are getting penalised like it is our fault! as if we are all lazy dopers...

What do you mean by "it looks like"? Where did you hear this?

I have an interview in a few weeks' time - a couple of days before I go, I have an appointment with the Job Centre to sort out my travel warrant to get there and back. (Already discussed and agreed in principle - the appointment is to show them proof of my interview.)
  • Ihatecameron
    Welcome to the Tories. Same as they were in the 1980's and early 90's. Its almost as if they want an underclass to scoff at. One wonders whether Cameron wants to beat Maggies unemployment record.
    Originally posted by Hammyman

More unemployed and less educated is a step closer to Camerons work for dole policy, that is the thinking behind the "big society". As long as those who rule over us are well catered for, it does not matter what happens to the rest of us.
  • Thatchapdean
    What do you mean by "it looks like"? Where did you hear this?

I have an interview in a few weeks' time - a couple of days before I go, I have an appointment with the Job Centre to sort out my travel warrant to get there and back. (Already discussed and agreed in principle - the appointment is to show them proof of my interview.)
    Originally posted by persa
    There was a link in the thread

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Jobseekers/programmesandservices/DG_173631

"Important update: Travel to Interview scheme is now closed
    The Travel to Interview scheme is now closed. Please speak to your Jobcentre Plus adviser for more information."
  • Ihatecameron
    There was a link in the thread

"Important update: Travel to Interview scheme is now closed
    The Travel to Interview scheme is now closed. Please speak to your Jobcentre Plus adviser for more information."
    Originally posted by Thatchapdean
    If you ask a JCP adviser, they will probably say "I didn't know we had one"
    • persa
    • By persa 6th Apr 11, 7:28 PM
    • 710 Posts
    • 1,554 Thanks
    persa
    Thank you. I will call tomorrow.

Very worried - I wouldn't have agreed to travel 500 miles for an interview if I wasn't getting help with the costs - if I have to cancel, I will be messing the company about, as well as the agency that got me the interview in the first place.
  • Thatchapdean
    TBH Persa any agreements/arrangements made before the scheme was closed should be met and covered (you would hope anyhow).

Good luck.
    • persa
    • By persa 6th Apr 11, 7:34 PM
    • 710 Posts
    • 1,554 Thanks
    persa
    TBH Persa any agreements/arrangements made before the scheme was closed should be met and covered (you would hope anyhow).

Good luck.
    Originally posted by Thatchapdean
    The JC member of staff arranged the appointment for a couple of days before my interview - didn't seem keen to have it any earlier - I will call to clarify, because if it turns out I can't get any help at the last minute, I really won't have any chance of scraping the money together. It would be a really push now, but it would be impossible to pay for a last minute train ticket for that kind of distance.

Anyway, thanks all for the heads up. I was told they were cracking down on claims because some people had abused the scheme in the past (using it for a jolly rather than an interview), but not that it was being scrapped.
    • Braintree
    • By Braintree 6th Apr 11, 7:45 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    Braintree
    Oh no! Just sent a rather awkward email to someone who rang arranging an interview two weeks ago but has yet to give me a time, only the date and location! I just wanted something more formal so I could arrange an appointment with the Jobcentre and find out what I could get. I'm so annoyed and angry; I asked an adviser at a Back to Work session on the 28th March about the interview costs scheme and she said NOTHING about the scheme closing less than two weeks later!

Sorry for the rant but it took me a long time (and my own initiative) to get an interview and being under 25 I get a low JSA rate per week so a few quid towards my train fare, I have a 16-25 railcard so would have saved them a few quid too , from Southampton to London would have been helpful.
  • MsHoarder
    Oh no! Just sent a rather awkward email to someone who rang arranging an interview two weeks ago but has yet to give me a time, only the date and location! I just wanted something more formal so I could arrange an appointment with the Jobcentre and find out what I could get. I'm so annoyed and angry; I asked an adviser at a Back to Work session on the 28th March about the interview costs scheme and she said NOTHING about the scheme closing less than two weeks later!

Sorry for the rant but it took me a long time (and my own initiative) to get an interview and being under 25 I get a low JSA rate per week so a few quid towards my train fare, I have a 16-25 railcard so would have saved them a few quid too , from Southampton to London would have been helpful.
    Originally posted by Braintree
    It isn't closing, but you need to ask before you go to the interview. Then the Job Centre will give you a rail "warrant" to get you there by train. You can't buy your own tickets then hand them in for a reimbursement though!
    "Every single person has at least one secret that would break your heart. If we could just remember this, I think there would be a lot more compassion and tolerance in the world."
    — Frank Warren
    • sammyjammy
    • By sammyjammy 7th Apr 11, 8:42 AM
    • 4,216 Posts
    • 4,562 Thanks
    sammyjammy
    It isn't closing, but you need to ask before you go to the interview. Then the Job Centre will give you a rail "warrant" to get you there by train. You can't buy your own tickets then hand them in for a reimbursement though!
    Originally posted by MsHoarder
    Err yes it is, did you actually read the link provided?
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
    • SeduLOUs
    • By SeduLOUs 7th Apr 11, 10:19 AM
    • 2,091 Posts
    • 2,476 Thanks
    SeduLOUs

I'll hazard a guess that it's because the job centre fork out huge train fares for people to go to interview and then they reject the job because of the travel aspect.

If you spent £75 travelling for 3 days you would be spending £125 a week if you got the job - it would have to be a fairly well paying job to justify the travel costs.

I understand that finding the money once employed isn't as much of a problem as when you don't have a job - it's just my take on why they might have decided to scrap it.
  • Jane Moorman
    Travel to Interview Scheme
    I had to travel to Birmingham from Hertfordshire last week and called and went to see the Job Centre. I had the option of getting a rail fair warrant, or going by car.
    The first option I would have to have provided a print out of the fare from traveline.co.uk or such like, and the car option I had to print out the route from the AA website. I decided to go by car to cut down on travelling time, and was told I had to return the claim form within 24 hours of the interview.
    I was told I would be allowed 25p a mile up the costs of the train fare. I was also told it would take 4 weeks to process!
    However this was the 31st March, so maybe the new system is in place from the 1st April.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

176Posts Today

1,382Users online

Martin's Twitter